Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | wifi ok but no ethernet ?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

wifi ok but no ethernet ?

Old 31-03-2018, 16:53   #31
Jon22
cf.addict

Jon22 is on a distinguished roadJon22 is on a distinguished road
Re: wifi ok but no ethernet ?

Could be one of these I suppose: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072J38J...a-364096147817
Jon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-03-2018, 18:08   #32
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

thanks for the link, I have never seen anything like that before and I will never use anything like that, it is cheap ass crap for people who don't have a clue about networking:

Quote:
This Ethernet splitter allows two computers to share one Ethernet line ONE AT A TIME, but it doesn't support both computers to connect onto the internet simultaneously. Just one output port is working.
I completely understand why something like this would screw up a switch and cause it lock.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2018, 18:47   #33
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
thanks for the link, I have never seen anything like that before and I will never use anything like that, it is cheap ass crap for people who don't have a clue about networking:

I completely understand why something like this would screw up a switch and cause it lock.
Wouldn't it be simpler and safer just to use a cheap gigabit 5 port switch, for between £15 and £20?

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Linksys-B...n%3A1036543031

In fact, there are some available for around £12.

(other switches are available...)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2018, 22:20   #34
davemaden
Inactive

davemaden is an unknown quantity at this point

@ General Maximus, I don't use one of those cheap splitters . I am using a tps link 5 port splitter from pc world. I am just asking if a faulty ethernet cable (may be if wires were broken and shorted ) could cause the ports to freeze . I haven't had any problems today. Thanks
davemaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2018, 23:06   #35
Jon22
cf.addict

Jon22 is on a distinguished roadJon22 is on a distinguished road

If it is easy enough to swap the ethernet cable, then it’s probably best to try that first. It could be a faulty switch, which is what I’m gathering is being referred to when you say splitter, if so, then it’s cheap enough to get a Gigabit rated switch.
Jon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2018, 23:16   #36
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemaden View Post
I am using a tps link 5 port splitter from pc world
are you sure it's not a TP Link 5 port switch? Can I have a link. A broken cable can definitely cause connectivity issues for the device it is connected to but I can't imagine it killing a switch. If it is a decent quality cable you would be hard pressed to break it tbh, there would an apparent cut in the cable somewhere in it's length or more likely at the termination at one of the ends where the wires go into the plastic bit (which may have come a bit loose). Either way, replacing the cable is relatively inexpensive and it should be easy enough for you to work out which one it is. If the switch is faulty or you need a new one of whatever it is you have got get one of these. Next time you need some new cable(s) or if you want to do everything properly now to save it happening again in the future then replace everything with the appropriate length of these. You can also colour code everything and for example, use a blue cable for your pc, grey for each of the 4 Amazon fire tv boxes and then a black cable for the connection from the switch to the shub. That way when you look at the cables (if you haven't labelled them) you know what each one does.

Last edited by General Maximus; 31-03-2018 at 23:25.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:09   #37
davemaden
Inactive

davemaden is an unknown quantity at this point

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/compu...24559-pdt.html
that is the switch . the cable that i think is faulty is a flat ethernet cable , and when plugged into the switch and the amazon box , the corresponding light on the switch , doesnt light , as if there is no activity , and the amazon box says there is no internet connection . i will test the port on the switch with a new cable . The only thing that was puzzling me is that i know the faulty cable was working in the morning , but hasnt worked since , thanks for all your help , im nearly there now .
davemaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:38   #38
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

Flat cables are generally unreliable as they cannot be fully twisted.

Many consumer electronics devices only have 100mbps ports - e.g. my Sky Q boxes are all 100mbps, Hive, Hue, etc etc. It's more common than you'd expect.

You can in theory run two 100mbps connections over one cable with a splitter, as each only uses 2 pairs of the 4, with an adaptor at each end, but don't do it, it is bad.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote