Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Racist Sky channel?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Racist Sky channel?
Closed Thread

Old 23-10-2021, 11:44   #16
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Re: Racist Sky channel?

What a total waste of a thread, the lunatics really have taken over the asylum.
Advertisement
Old 23-10-2021, 12:08   #17
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Sky have just renamed one of their channels to 'Sky Spooky', presumably to show Halloween content.

I'm surprised at this as it was recently reported that this term is a racial slur:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/s...past-lbkjttg6r
If you’re surprised, then you have serious difficulty telling the difference between fashionable virtue signalling and actual anti-racist activity.

The National Theatre of Scotland clearly wants to be seen to be doing something, but prefers to do things that don’t cost them anything, like banning common English words with uncontroversial etymologies, rather than genuinely transformational policies like working extensively with poor state schools whose pupils are unlikely to get the sort of education that lands them a job with NTS by the usual routes.

I doubt very much anyone at Sky gave a moment’s thought about the use of the word “spook”. Bus seeing as you brought it up, do you propose to exclaim your surprise at every supermarket, magazine and tv channel that uses the word over the next week? Will Strictly Come Dancing be racist when it inevitably uses the word multiple times in next Saturday’s hallowe’en special?

If you really are triggered by this you must have totally freaked out when the BBC put Spooks back on the iPlayer. You should write in and see if they’ll put an “outdated social attitudes” warning on it.
Old 23-10-2021, 12:29   #18
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

It seems to me that there's an ever increasing army of people in todays society that find great pleasure in being incensed, grief stricken, mortified, deeply hurt and - dare I mention - morally outraged, when they spot something that might be deemed offensive in some obscure shape or form.

It's a good job the 'Flat Earth Society' aren't throwing lawsuits at everything they perceive to be undermining their beliefs
Old 23-10-2021, 12:47   #19
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
If you’re surprised, then you have serious difficulty telling the difference between fashionable virtue signalling and actual anti-racist activity.

The National Theatre of Scotland clearly wants to be seen to be doing something, but prefers to do things that don’t cost them anything, like banning common English words with uncontroversial etymologies, rather than genuinely transformational policies like working extensively with poor state schools whose pupils are unlikely to get the sort of education that lands them a job with NTS by the usual routes.

I doubt very much anyone at Sky gave a moment’s thought about the use of the word “spook”. Bus seeing as you brought it up, do you propose to exclaim your surprise at every supermarket, magazine and tv channel that uses the word over the next week? Will Strictly Come Dancing be racist when it inevitably uses the word multiple times in next Saturday’s hallowe’en special?

If you really are triggered by this you must have totally freaked out when the BBC put Spooks back on the iPlayer. You should write in and see if they’ll put an “outdated social attitudes” warning on it.
I believe the appropriate phrase is “mic drop”

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 23-10-2021, 13:58   #20
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
What else do you expect from Richard?
It isn't me that's saying it, that's why it was phrased as a question.

---------- Post added at 13:56 ---------- Previous post was at 13:53 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post

The surprise that I referred to was that companies these days are terrified of being tarred with the R word and go to great, sometimes spurious, lengths to show how woke they are.

---------- Post added at 13:57 ---------- Previous post was at 13:56 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
What a total waste of a thread, the lunatics really have taken over the asylum.
If this is being highlighted, it's a good thing surely.

---------- Post added at 13:58 ---------- Previous post was at 13:57 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
I’m not surprised, seeing as it’s a UK channel on a UK service.
...that's owned by an American company, most of whom are ultra woke these days, that's what i'm actually surprised about.
Old 23-10-2021, 14:06   #21
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:

...that's owned by an American company, most of whom are ultra woke these days, that's what i'm actually surprised about.
Did you do any research in to how “ultra woke” Sky is before posting?

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 23-10-2021, 14:17   #22
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Did you do any research in to how “ultra woke” Sky is before posting?
Of course. They've made the standard anti racism statements, support BLM and are members of 'Kick it out'.
Old 23-10-2021, 14:23   #23
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

So pretty much the standard (your word) that most companies do these days?

Not so "ultra" woke then.

Especially as the expression 'Spook' in that context isn't something used in the UK, I'm really struggling to understand why you were so "surprised".

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 23-10-2021, 15:01   #24
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
So pretty much the standard (your word) that most companies do these days?

Not so "ultra" woke then.

Especially as the expression 'Spook' in that context isn't something used in the UK, I'm really struggling to understand why you were so "surprised".
Virtue signalling ultra wokeness is standard for companies these days, this is why i'm surprised that they did this (especially as it's Black History month).
Old 23-10-2021, 15:05   #25
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
Virtue signalling ultra wokeness is standard for companies these days, this is why i'm surprised that they did this (especially as it's Black History month).
So if it’s “standard”, ie expected, how is it “ultra”?

And again, Spook is not a word we use in that context so it’s pretty obviously that they’ve done nothing about it.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 23-10-2021, 16:50   #26
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Alright, enough with the insults please … posts removed
Old 23-10-2021, 20:01   #27
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
What else do you expect from Richard?
Looks the norm to me
Have to add not a clue what most of these posts are writing about . Old age I guess !

Last edited by Itshim; 23-10-2021 at 20:05.
Old 23-10-2021, 20:07   #28
Blackshep
cf.addict

Blackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to all

What isn't racist these days it's pathetic the term is so easily thrown around these days it's lost all meaning great for the real racists they can now skip under the radar and even play the victim as most people no longer have a negative outlook on the term being used. This woke crap needs to end before we all disappear up a national backside.
Old 24-10-2021, 00:18   #29
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Looks the norm to me
Have to add not a clue what most of these posts are writing about . Old age I guess !
The norm is you following a disabled person about making snide comments to get your kicks.

As you get older, you are much more likely to be impacted by disability and/or disease. I really would stop tempting fate if I were you.
Old 24-10-2021, 01:14   #30
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
The norm is you following a disabled person about making snide comments to get your kicks.

As you get older, you are much more likely to be impacted by disability and/or disease. I really would stop tempting fate if I were you.

Must admit I laughed quite hard at that . . . Itshim already into his seventies, I'm only a few years behind, both of us probably already have more than enough health problems
Closed Thread