Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Election 2019, Week 1

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Election 2019, Week 1
View Poll Results: Your voting intention at this stage of the campaign:
Labour 7 14.58%
Conservative 20 41.67%
Liberal Democrat 8 16.67%
UKIP 0 0%
Brexit Party 3 6.25%
Green 0 0%
Change UK 0 0%
Plaid Cymru 1 2.08%
SNP 1 2.08%
Irish nationalist 1 2.08%
Irish unionist 0 0%
Other 1 2.08%
Abstaining 2 4.17%
Ineligible 0 0%
Undecided 4 8.33%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 13:07   #211
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Election 2019, Week 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
If they are working in a public service e.g. the NHS, it certainly is helping us. What they do with their money is up to them, they might have left dependents behind.
Indeed when people spend thousands on Chinese electronics is that any different?

I save roughly half my wages each month and don't plan to spend any of it on UK manufactured goods or services. Does that make me a bad person?
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2019, 13:14   #212
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

JO SWINSON'S office has reportedly been cordoned off by police after a suspect package was left outside.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...uspect-package
Old 04-11-2019, 13:27   #213
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Indeed when people spend thousands on Chinese electronics is that any different?

I save roughly half my wages each month and don't plan to spend any of it on UK manufactured goods or services. Does that make me a bad person?
Of course it doesn't make you a bad person, as Mr K says, it's your money to do with however it takes your fancy.

It may make you seem hypocritical though, if you start going on about economies and global warming
Old 04-11-2019, 15:06   #214
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...past-2020.html

So, even if we leave with a deal, it’ll probably end up as a no-deal Brexit.

Quote:
Downing Street rules out extending the Brexit transition period past 2020 as Number 10 slaps down a Cabinet minister who said free trade talks with the EU will not be 'straightforward'

Downing Street today categorically ruled out extending the Brexit transition period beyond 2020 after a Cabinet minister warned trade talks with the EU would not be 'straightforward'.

Under the terms of Boris Johnson's divorce deal, the EU and the UK have until the end of next year to hammer out the details of their post-Brexit trading relationship.

Critics believe there is no chance of the two sides getting everything done in such a short space of time and the divorce deal does include the option of a delay of up to two years...

... International trade agreements often take years to complete - a new pact between the EU and Japan took the best part of six years to negotiate.

But the government believes the deal between the EU and the UK will be much quicker because the two sides are starting from the same point on tariffs and rules.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 04-11-2019, 15:10   #215
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
I think you have answered your own question and also highlighted the hypocrisy of the right. Yes, if you are wealthy it is fine to avoid paying your fair share of taxes and hide it in offshore tax havens but if you are earning a modest wage, woe betide you if you choose what to do with your money.
I think he was highlighting Hypocrisy full stop.
Old 04-11-2019, 15:24   #216
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
Thank you for proving my point. The whole basis of the 2016 vote was an immoral one: the socio-economic fate of an entire country possibly decided by 1 person.
You’re out of step with much of the world, where simple majority is the rule in the vast majority of cases. Where that is qualified, it is usually done so via a quorum or in federal systems by requiring a yes vote in a majority of states also.

https://researchbriefings.files.parl...09/SN02809.pdf

Quote:
Your other point also is flawed as you well know. The PR option in this referendum was deliberately chosen as the worse available:

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/2011_Uni...ote_referendum

At the time of the referendum, three nations used AV for parliamentary elections: Australia, Papua New Guinea, and Fiji.
Yet the Lib Dems declared it a baby step in the right direction and campaigned for Yes.

I am sceptical that most of the British electorate saw the question in so technical terms as the reform campaigner cited at Wikiwand and am content that as an exercise in determining appetite for change, the referendum adequately showed that the British electorate are sufficiently happy with the present system to leave it as is.

In the 2017 election, despite the plurality of parties available, well over 80% of all votes went to either Labour or Conservative.

Last edited by Chris; 04-11-2019 at 15:27.
Old 04-11-2019, 15:31   #217
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post

So the penny has eventually dropped. As nomadking, myself and other leave supporters have been trying to tell you. The WA is not a deal, never has been, never will be.
Old 04-11-2019, 17:34   #218
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post

Well, that's if you believe "Downing Street says..."

Last edited by jfman; 04-11-2019 at 17:42.
Old 04-11-2019, 17:41   #219
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Given that the Tories need to find a way to neutralise Farage, a couple of dog-whistle briefings in the right ears (e.g. the politics desk at the Daily Mail) suggesting there is still the opportunity to walk away from the EU without any ongoing relationship at all, might make sense from a Tory strategist’s point of view.

---------- Post added at 16:41 ---------- Previous post was at 16:38 ----------

Also, Nigel’s policy isn’t going down entirely well with everyone in the Brexit party, where at least one or two people think he may have taken leave of his senses.

https://order-order.com/2019/11/04/s...disagreements/

Quote:
The Second Brexit Party Candidate of the day has announced he is standing down due to Farage’s anti-Brexit deal rhetoric – just hours after Farage announced his candidates in Central London…

Stephen Peddie – who until hours ago was the PPC for Tonbridge and Malling – quit the party, saying “We have ‘a’ Brexit only because of Farage. That doesn’t make it his to destroy along with our country. I’ve quit as a PPC in exasperation”.
Old 04-11-2019, 17:50   #220
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
You evidently do not know or else you'd have got the terminology right. Despite all the cuts to date, and masses of privatisation over the recent decades, it'll still a deficit.

Essentially, you want to eliminate the role of the state to privatise as much as possible so profits can be siphoned offshore. At least be honest about your Ideology and not pretend it is anyone's interest.
I see your pedantry has not gone away, jfman. Of course I understand the difference between the deficit and the national debt. 'Paid off' may not be the appropriate turn of phrase, but I'm sure that most people on here knew what I meant.

The deficit has now come down to manageable levels, which means we can start to actually reduce the debt rather than continue to increase it.

I don't know where you get the idea that I want to eliminate the role of the state. I have never said that. I believe in a mixed economy. However, the role of the state should be kept under control and should not be allowed to proliferate. There are things the state does well and there are things the privatised sector does better. We should use whichever method is more efficient.
Old 04-11-2019, 17:59   #221
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
So the penny has eventually dropped. As nomadking, myself and other leave supporters have been trying to tell you. The WA is not a deal, never has been, never will be.
The penny never left the floor, so didn't need to drop - that's why there was a period after the exit to make a deal.
Old 04-11-2019, 18:13   #222
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I see your pedantry has not gone away, jfman. Of course I understand the difference between the deficit and the national debt. 'Paid off' may not be the appropriate turn of phrase, but I'm sure that most people on here knew what I meant.

The deficit has now come down to manageable levels, which means we can start to actually reduce the debt rather than continue to increase it.

I don't know where you get the idea that I want to eliminate the role of the state. I have never said that. I believe in a mixed economy. However, the role of the state should be kept under control and should not be allowed to proliferate. There are things the state does well and there are things the privatised sector does better. We should use whichever method is more efficient.
I’m not being pedantic for the sake of it, however if people don’t understand macroeconomic concepts it’s a reasonable stance to take that they don’t understand macroeconomics.

It’s much easier, and obviously accurate, to use the phrase “reduced the deficit” than introduce “paying off” as inaccurate terminology.

We aren’t reducing debt either. The national debt is the highest it has ever been.
Old 04-11-2019, 18:39   #223
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
You’re out of step with much of the world, where simple majority is the rule in the vast majority of cases. Where that is qualified, it is usually done so via a quorum or in federal systems by requiring a yes vote in a majority of states also.

https://researchbriefings.files.parl...09/SN02809.pdf

Yet the Lib Dems declared it a baby step in the right direction and campaigned for Yes.

I am sceptical that most of the British electorate saw the question in so technical terms as the reform campaigner cited at Wikiwand and am content that as an exercise in determining appetite for change, the referendum adequately showed that the British electorate are sufficiently happy with the present system to leave it as is.

In the 2017 election, despite the plurality of parties available, well over 80% of all votes went to either Labour or Conservative.
Not so. The use of the Supermajority is common across the world for important, high impact decisions - see https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Supermaj...ound_the_world

The major lesson learnt here is that the approach the UK took to this referendum was deeply flawed.

You last point is self evident: in a FPTP system, of course the two main parties would get the majority of the votes. That is the natural evolution of such an electoral system.

---------- Post added at 17:39 ---------- Previous post was at 17:38 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I think he was highlighting Hypocrisy full stop.
and that many, including members on this forum, are content with.
Old 04-11-2019, 18:40   #224
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
I’m not being pedantic for the sake of it, however if people don’t understand macroeconomic concepts it’s a reasonable stance to take that they don’t understand macroeconomics.

It’s much easier, and obviously accurate, to use the phrase “reduced the deficit” than introduce “paying off” as inaccurate terminology.

We aren’t reducing debt either. The national debt is the highest it has ever been.
Yes, yes, you've made a point about terminology, but you have assumed too much and you have taken this much too far. You need to calm yourself.

The Conservatives have in fact indicated that they are now in a position to bring down the national debt, which is what I was referring to. I've already explained why the national debt is so high.
Old 04-11-2019, 19:48   #225
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Yes, yes, you've made a point about terminology, but you have assumed too much and you have taken this much too far. You need to calm yourself.

The Conservatives have in fact indicated that they are now in a position to bring down the national debt, which is what I was referring to. I've already explained why the national debt is so high.

That statement is so vague as to be almost meaningless...
Closed Thread