Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Can I connect a PC to a wireless printer

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

Tablets v. smartphones

Old 17-05-2018, 21:43   #1
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 11 years?!

Services: EE Superfast Broadband
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Question Tablets v. smartphones

- why does it make a difference? To explain: I have an Amazon Fire, which runs on Android - as do many smartphones. But the mTickets app for First Bus apparently doesn't like being on a tablet; it's constantly complaining about not being able to access the server - and today when my Internet connection went down and the tablet forgot what year it is (it resets to Jan 1st 1970 of all dates), the app expired the monthly ticket I bought yesterday on account of 'clock tampering'!

It's the same operating system. It installed perfectly smoothly. So just what exactly is its problem? Why does it matter if an app's installed on a smartphone and a tablet when there really isn't that much difference between them?
Advertisement
Old 17-05-2018, 22:03   #2
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: Tablets v. smartphones

Is it may be just because it's the fire OS that's causing issues and isn't just normal android?

Why would you run a ticket app on a tablet anyway?
Old 18-05-2018, 09:41   #3
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 11 years?!

Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal

The tablet's saving me £10 a month (£54 for a monthly ticket rather than 4 weekly tickets at £16 each) and thus effectively paying for itself in less than a year, without the hassle and expense of contracts etc. if I got a smartphone.

As for OS issues - well, I suppose that's possible, although if that were the case I'd have expected the app not to install or run in the first place. On the other hand, admittedly it does say in the mTicket's T & C that it should not be run on a tablet, as I discovered earlier this morning. No hint as to why, though...

Do we happen to have an Android expert or semi-expert on this forum who might be able to clear this up?
Old 18-05-2018, 10:07   #4
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

The fire is android under the hood, however the Fire OS skin is so heavily modified.

You don't need a contract phone? just get a PAYG android phone?
Old 18-05-2018, 10:18   #5
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Tablets and phones have different screen sizes and tend to be used in different ways. OS developers vary the way the system works on the different devices with this in mind. Many app developers design their wares accordingly.

In your case it sounds like you may have a Wi-fi only Fire, and the app you’re using doesn’t seem to like it.

(Edit)

Also, the Fire’s clock setting mechanism is truly awful. Our kids have them and the network time service they connect to is frequently unavailable. Just to add insult to injury, you can’t manually override the time/date setting when it does go wrong.

Last edited by Chris; 18-05-2018 at 13:10.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 18:21   #6
Brunel
Chief Mechanical Engineer

Services: V.M. M. 125 November 6 2018. Finally connected.
Brunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the roughBrunel is a jewel in the rough

The App. depends on very accurate time, which on a smartphone is supplied by the 'phone network.
Brunel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2018, 09:55   #7
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 11 years?!

Hmm. The tablet is indeed WiFi only.

There doesn't seem to be any way of setting date & time as far as I can see; you can enable/disable Automatic Time Zone, but then what do you do?

I had no idea there were PAYG smartphones; I'll definitely look into that. Though I originally bought the Fire primarily so I could use the mTickets app, it does of course have several other uses. Since it has a camera and is Internet-capable, it occurs to me that come the Redemption '19 SF convention in January, I needn't take either my laptop or my camera with me - just the Fire.

Thanks, guys!
Old 19-05-2018, 10:06   #8
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

There are PAYG android phones from about £35 but I'd maybe spend £100 upwards for a decent one.