Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The state benefits system mega-thread.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The state benefits system mega-thread.

Old 12-06-2014, 15:09   #1231
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: The state benefits system mega-thread. Many merged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Not as simple as that. All any consultants letter to a GP will say is the diagnosis etc, and not how the patient might be affected by any condition.
And that's why its so important to write down on the forms how their medical condition or conditions affects them on a daily basis.
Old 12-06-2014, 15:10   #1232
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
And that's why its so important to write down on the forms how their medical condition or conditions affects them on a daily basis.
But where does the "evidence" for that come from?
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 15:16   #1233
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
But where does the "evidence" for that come from?
You ask your GP for a supporting letter stating how the condition affects you on a daily basis plus you send in copies of all your hospital letters plus your benefit form.
Old 12-06-2014, 16:01   #1234
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
You ask your GP for a supporting letter stating how the condition affects you on a daily basis plus you send in copies of all your hospital letters plus your benefit form.
And as I said, they can get this same information directly from the patients GP.

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 16:17   #1235
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-J View Post
And as I said, they can get this same information directly from the patients GP.
It's not about the disability/sickness, it's about it's effect on the person's day to day life.

https://www.gov.uk/pip/eligibility

How could the doctor know if they needed help with

preparing or eating food
washing, bathing and using the toilet
dressing and undressing
reading and communicating
managing your medicines or treatments
making decisions about money
engaging with other people

Claimants don't get benefit because they are disabled, they get benefit for the (negative) effects the disability has.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 19:53   #1236
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
It's not about the disability/sickness, it's about it's effect on the person's day to day life.
But it's the disability/sickness that causes the negative effect in their life isn't it...

Quote:
How could the doctor know if they needed help with

preparing or eating food
washing, bathing and using the toilet
dressing and undressing
reading and communicating
managing your medicines or treatments
making decisions about money
engaging with other people
They should have that information on record, my GP knows exactly how my disabilities / sickness effect me and what I need help with in my day to day life.

Quote:
Claimants don't get benefit because they are disabled, they get benefit for the (negative) effects the disability has.
That doesn't make sense to me, if the person wasn't disabled or sick, then surely they wouldn't be making claims for PIP to help them in their day to day life.

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 21:25   #1237
Mr Pharmacist
Inactive

Services: Everything.
Mr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of societyMr Pharmacist is a pillar of society

Atos apparently fined by the DWP. http://www.standard.co.uk/news/londo...r-9529005.html
Mr Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 21:39   #1238
tizmeinnit

Loving the way ATOS are the scapegoats for running a government ordained policy
Old 12-06-2014, 22:03   #1239
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-J View Post

That doesn't make sense to me, if the person wasn't disabled or sick, then surely they wouldn't be making claims for PIP to help them in their day to day life.
Makes perfect sense ,if disabled people got payed for the disability then i would be getting paid ,as it is i don't get a bean because modern medicine manages my disease very well and allows me work, at the moment the effects of the disease on my daily life are minimal so no disability payments which is exactly as it should be .
Old 12-06-2014, 23:09   #1240
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Someone with cerebral palsy could function pretty close to someone without it while another person with palsy could be completely dependant on a carer. The same could be said for things like aspergers. If you suffered from aspie symptoms but had no formal diagnosis, I would expect it would be hard to claim even though it should be based on symptoms rather than the name of the disability. A gp might not pick up on someone with aspergers unless it's one of the obvious cases. That's if the person actually goes to the gp. Some people have hardly ever been to see their gp. Some depressed people might not bother too. So there would be no GP records about these kind of people, so nothing to back them up if they say they have a mental disability and try to claim for it.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 23:24   #1241
AdamD
cf.mega poster

Services: VM 50Mb
AdamD has reached the bronze age
AdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizmeinnit View Post
To be fair GPs generally are pretty useless.
I think that's why they don't bother contacting GP's anymore, or they don't take the GP's diagnosis into account in their decisions.
Out of the four GP's at my local practice, only ONE was actually genuinely interested in helping me.
It took years, to get the help I needed.
Dealing with ATOS just makes things a lot worse, because all they did for me at least, was run through a pre written checklist/script.
The problem is the government doesn't make a point of keeping checks on people on benefits.
If someone is ill, they should be making sure the person is getting treatment and help, but they don't
From experience, they just sit back and let people take in a weekly/fortnightly giro or direct debit from the tax payer, without a worry.
The problem with that is, if you're suffering with a mental condition and you are allowed to sit at home all day, everyday, getting money from the government with no intervention or help, you get used to it and you're in the wrong state of mind anyways, so you end up accepting that as the norm and you feel almost comfortable doing what others perceive as leeching off tax payers, because no one, not even your GP, wants to get you the help you need.
It took me years to get the help I needed, because all my GP's wanted to do, was keep dishing out drugs and saying "come back in 6 months if you don't get better".
AdamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 15:17   #1242
RizzyKing

Ah the old "come back in six months" I remember it so well that's all I got off the first consultant I was referred too diagnosing me with the easiest fit he could come up with whilst filling in his golf diary. Joke is if he'd done his job I would have been able to work for most of the last thirteen years instead of having to live on benefit and might possibly still be working, the hate I have for that man is still as raw now as it was then.
Old 14-06-2014, 00:14   #1243
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Pip's much better for Osem Jnr #2 as, unlike DLA, it recognises the manner in which his disabilities actually affect and restrict him. So far it's a great bit from us.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2014, 00:32   #1244
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

Services: tv phone mobile broadband V6 and tivo.
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star

Let's hope it helps many other's who need it too. My friend has Crohns and she had to appeal to get her DLA and while waiting for the appeal it made her illness worse with the stress it caused them.
Old 14-06-2014, 14:24   #1245
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by weenie View Post
Let's hope it helps many other's who need it too. My friend has Crohns and she had to appeal to get her DLA and while waiting for the appeal it made her illness worse with the stress it caused them.
That appears to be one of the major issues at the moment, going through the process is extremely stressful and some people who should be getting it just give up. I know someone who clearly has problems but had to fight and appeal for almost two years before he got the DLA. Had such a big lump sum in the end they had to spend some of it quickly otherwise they would have had some other benefit stopped for having more savings than they were allowed. Have a feeling these back payments pay for quite a few holidays which are needed to get over the stress caused to get as far as a payment.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote