Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The state benefits system mega-thread.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The state benefits system mega-thread.

Old 11-06-2014, 14:45   #1216
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: The state benefits system mega-thread. Many merged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizmeinnit View Post
PIP replaces DLA
And they are doing that in limited numbers at the moment and are still making a balls up so god help us when that goes fully national.

---------- Post added at 14:45 ---------- Previous post was at 14:40 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx View Post
I didn't think anyone could apply for that now as PIP had replaced it. Obviously it's even further behind than IDS has admitted to the last few times he has defended his failures.

IDS and Atos should be buried alive, then buried again. They are just going to blame each other while forgetting about the disabled people waiting.
Atos have pulled out of the ESA but whoever replaces them will be just as bad one suspects.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27767779

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...lapse-benefits
Old 11-06-2014, 17:21   #1217
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Atos have pulled out of the ESA but whoever replaces them will be just as bad one suspects.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27767779

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...lapse-benefits
Quote:
Atos officials said their staff were "vilified" simply for carrying out what was asked of them by ministers.
Ultimately I think this is what it boils down. The Conservatives wanted all the benefits cut and told Atos what to do and how to do it, then used them to take all the blame.

I heard the horror stories from all corners regarding Atos and they were indeed bad. We will never likely learn exactly what orders were given to Atos top brass from the government due to non-disclosure agreements and business sensitivity reasons. Still have a gut feeling they were following orders and did so happily just to get the contract and profits. So Atos can't be excused either
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 20:00   #1218
tizmeinnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx View Post
Ultimately I think this is what it boils down. The Conservatives wanted all the benefits cut and told Atos what to do and how to do it, then used them to take all the blame.

I heard the horror stories from all corners regarding Atos and they were indeed bad. We will never likely learn exactly what orders were given to Atos top brass from the government due to non-disclosure agreements and business sensitivity reasons. Still have a gut feeling they were following orders and did so happily just to get the contract and profits. So Atos can't be excused either
I agree totally

I said they were a pawn in a game right from the start
Old 12-06-2014, 00:47   #1219
AdamD
cf.mega poster

Services: VM 50Mb
AdamD has reached the bronze age
AdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze age

The benefits system, hell anything run by the government, is a mess.
Claiming benefits in this day and age should be easy, but it's stupidly complex and stressful
I often wonder how many people who claim for mental illness conditions, end up killing themselves due to the stress, or at the very least, get much worse
I know I got a lot worse with the worry and stress of claiming and waiting on decisions.
AdamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:50   #1220
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

Services: tv phone mobile broadband V6 and tivo.
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamD View Post
The benefits system, hell anything run by the government, is a mess.
Claiming benefits in this day and age should be easy, but it's stupidly complex and stressful
I often wonder how many people who claim for mental illness conditions, end up killing themselves due to the stress, or at the very least, get much worse
I know I got a lot worse with the worry and stress of claiming and waiting on decisions.

Not a very good system is it, the waiting time for a decision is far to long as it seems to cause many alot of added stress therefore making their condition/illness worse, they really do need to sharpen up there decision time IMO.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:34   #1221
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

To do that, they would need to hire more staff, and everybody complains about the numbers of civil servants..............
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:58   #1222
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

Or maybe the DWP should just ask the persons GP for their opinion on whether they are fit to work.

Jimmy-J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 12:06   #1223
tizmeinnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-J View Post
Or maybe the DWP should just ask the persons GP for their opinion on whether they are fit to work.
To be fair GPs generally are pretty useless. There has to be a system in place that checks to see if the patient is as bad as they make out. I would rather see claimants seeing doctors at DWP medicals with some sort of specialty in the field for which the diagnosis is made.

IE someone with a bad back sees someone with a grounding in osteopathy and someone with a mental illness sees someone knowledgeable in psychiatric problems

Just seeing a general nurse or just another GP is not going to find the cheats and it is going to lead to mis diagnosis and hardship
Old 12-06-2014, 12:12   #1224
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

If it weren't for the thieves who claim what they don't need or are entitled to it could be much easier. The system is complex because it needs to identify those crooks but the problem is that it's those very crooks who know best how to get through the system while those who really need it get held up with all the red-tape and rules.
Most who really need the benefits are honest but also likely to have issues with the system. The best system would be to simply enter in the help you need and you'd get it.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:36   #1225
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

But if a patient is suffering from a physical or mental illness, they should already be registered with a medical professional, it should all be on record, so maybe they should trust the professional in whatever field they work, to be correct with their diagnosis of the patient.

Old 12-06-2014, 12:38   #1226
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

Services: tv phone mobile broadband V6 and tivo.
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star

Why not if it is an obvious case and hospital records can back things up why do these people have to wait? If for example they have mental health issues or an illness where stress can make it worse why not fast track these conditions that can be made worse by stress. What is the average waiting time for a reply to benefits anyway? It seems reading this post that it is extremely difficult to receive benefits although certain newspapers say the opposite.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:42   #1227
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

The problem with using evidence from GPs is that it will be based mainly on what the patient says. The GP will accept what is said as being the truth, as there would be no reason for the patient to lie. When it comes to benefit decisions, the patients do potentially have a reason to lie.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 12:46   #1228
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
The problem with using evidence from GPs is that it will be based mainly on what the patient says. The GP will accept what is said as being the truth, as there would be no reason for the patient to lie. When it comes to benefit decisions, the patients do potentially have a reason to lie.
I agree, If you've only got evidence from a GP then I'd say there can't be much wrong with you.

It should be different if you are under a consultant or a number of them.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:54   #1229
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
But the GP should have all copies of letters and much more information shared by other medical professionals on their systems. So all of the evidence that would backup their patients claims should be right there.

Old 12-06-2014, 14:56   #1230
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-J View Post
But the GP should have all copies of letters and much more information shared by other medical professionals on their systems. So all of the evidence that would backup their patients claims should be right there.
Not as simple as that. All any consultants letter to a GP will say is the diagnosis etc, and not how the patient might be affected by any condition.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote