Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus (OLD)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus (OLD)
Closed Thread

Old 14-04-2020, 18:10   #2146
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
We will not avoid deaths by the measures being taken. We can only delay them.

If you think the economy isn't important in determining when the restrictions are relaxed, I don't think the majority would agree with you.
Citation, please?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Advertisement
Old 14-04-2020, 18:19   #2147
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Citation, please?
Quote:
How will these measures help to slow the spread of the infection?

By limiting the amount of contact people have with each other, we can slow down the spread of the infection and try to delay widespread transmission to the summer when there is less pressure on the NHS.
https://publichealthmatters.blog.gov...al-distancing/
Old 14-04-2020, 18:23   #2148
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:

If you think the economy isn't important in determining when the restrictions are relaxed, I don't think the majority would agree with you.
Of course we will avoid deaths. Antibody tests, vaccines and a range of control measures, ensuring medical need doesn’t exceed supply.

The economy is important but can be underwritten by Government and the Central Bank. It’s literally their main function at this time. Money, as you consider it like a household budget, simply doesn’t exist at a macroeconomic level in the same way.
Old 14-04-2020, 18:27   #2149
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I just found out that mum will never walk again as the coronavirus attacked her nervous system.

She had it before I took her in, but she had no symptons. I live at home and don't know it I've had it either?

Tomorrow she moves to a nursing home, this is possibly a pemanent placing.

The home is 30 minutes away.

We may be able to visit and take clothing for her. This should help her start to eat as she is very low at not seeing any one.

Last edited by Hom3r; 14-04-2020 at 18:37.
Old 14-04-2020, 18:56   #2150
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
That doesn’t answer my question, which was asking for evidence that the deaths weren’t being avoided, only delayed...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 14-04-2020, 20:04   #2151
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

So sorry to hear about your mother hom3r... I am a maintenance person at a care home and it is a very worrying time. We do not accept any visitors into the home only medical personnel, this has been like this for the past three weeks. You will find this will be the case throughout the UK. Wishing you all well.
Old 14-04-2020, 20:24   #2152
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Citation, please?
It's the government position, Hugh. I thought you were good at Googling.

---------- Post added at 20:22 ---------- Previous post was at 20:13 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Of course we will avoid deaths. Antibody tests, vaccines and a range of control measures, ensuring medical need doesn’t exceed supply.

The economy is important but can be underwritten by Government and the Central Bank. It’s literally their main function at this time. Money, as you consider it like a household budget, simply doesn’t exist at a macroeconomic level in the same way.
Oh, it's news to me that you can have a test and you can avoid coronavirus! Has anyone told the virus that or is this just your command?

I'm sorry, mate, but we cannot avoid this as there is no way available yet that can stop the virus from spreading. Despite every effort of the care homes, the virus is still getting in and the death toll is dreadful.

As far as the economy is concerned, we cannot sustain the lockdown measures for long. Fortunately, we don't have an unsustainable deficit anymore, and interest rates are at their lowest in living memory. However, there is a limit to how much debt is manageable, and we cannot let too many businesses collapse - that would be truly disastrous.

Other EU countries are already starting to relax the lockdown, and I dare say we will learn a lot from that.z

---------- Post added at 20:24 ---------- Previous post was at 20:22 ----------

Quote:
That doesn’t answer my question, which was asking for evidence that the deaths weren’t being avoided, only delayed...
It's the medical evidence that the government has used to drive the policy.
Old 14-04-2020, 20:41   #2153
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Then you have to ask why slowing down the spread and delaying widespread infection until summer is magically going to stop or reduce deaths.
Old 14-04-2020, 21:00   #2154
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Oh, it's news to me that you can have a test and you can avoid coronavirus! Has anyone told the virus that or is this just your command?
Here's your straw man you are looking for Old Boy.

Quote:
I'm sorry, mate, but we cannot avoid this as there is no way available yet that can stop the virus from spreading. Despite every effort of the care homes, the virus is still getting in and the death toll is dreadful.
There is - keep everyone apart as much as possible. Combined with mass testing and contact tracing (see South Korea) and it is possible. What countries need to wake up to is ceasing non-essential international travel completely.

Quote:
As far as the economy is concerned, we cannot sustain the lockdown measures for long. Fortunately, we don't have an unsustainable deficit anymore, and interest rates are at their lowest in living memory. However, there is a limit to how much debt is manageable, and we cannot let too many businesses collapse - that would be truly disastrous.
Again applying household budgeting principles to the global economy is a flawed outlook. If the whole world is borrowing money to sustain their economies in a global pandemic the obvious question is who are we borrowing from and who do we owe it to? Who are they borrowing it from?

This is where the fact money is a human construct - it's not backed by anything like gold any more - is key. During an economic recession printing money is a perfectly reasonable way to increase money supply and stimulate growth. The risk - hyperinflation - is extremely low and the lever to control inflation (interest rates) has plenty of scope to rise to bring this under control.

The currency markets will be minimally affected as other currencies like the Euro and US dollar will experience the same.

Quote:
Other EU countries are already starting to relax the lockdown, and I dare say we will learn a lot from that.z
We know what we need to do. Test and contact trace. It really isn't rocket science and has been the internationally recognised way to deal with pandemics for decades now.
Old 14-04-2020, 21:21   #2155
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

A paper, published in the journal Science says physical distancing measures may need to be in place intermittently until 2022.

https://science.sciencemag.org/conte...cience.abb5793
Old 14-04-2020, 21:45   #2156
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
I just found out that mum will never walk again as the coronavirus attacked her nervous system.

She had it before I took her in, but she had no symptons. I live at home and don't know it I've had it either?

We may be able to visit and take clothing for her. This should help her start to eat as she is very low at not seeing any one.
Sorry Homer.

How long ago did you take her in?

---------- Post added at 21:45 ---------- Previous post was at 21:36 ----------

Quote:

Quote:
Leaving aside the fact that all we're ever doing is delaying deaths.....

The Government's approach now is to avoid deaths by controlling the rate of infection so that hospital capacity isn't overwhelmed. It's not true to say the current measures will only delay (for now) people's deaths. If we didn't have these measures then hospital capacity was projected to have been overrun resulting in a higher number of deaths.

What OLD BOY might be confusing that with is that long term one of the assumptions is that we cannot stop the virus and therefore there will be a given number of deaths and those deaths are being delayed and not avoided.

I.E The very fact we're delaying deaths itself lowers the overall death count.

Another thing is that by delaying the deaths we buy time for more effective treatments to be found which could save lives.

We might also - although I am skeptical of this - be able to open up against with aggressive contact tracing, social distancing and other measures to slow the infection rate so drastically that we reach a vaccine before the virus has infected everyone it theoretically could.
Old 14-04-2020, 22:12   #2157
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post

This is dreadful news, I’m very sorry to hear it.

You’re going to have a difficult few months but you can both come through it. And she doesn’t have to stay in a home half an hour away forever. Your local authority should provide you a list of approved homes that charge local authority rate. You will be able to find one that suits her and is a little closer to you.

Take your time, make use of your local CAB for advice and assistance and don’t let the authorities push you around.
Old 14-04-2020, 22:39   #2158
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
No, it doesn’t mean that.

It’s aimed at people who insist on attributing blame/fault before enough information is available, and those who ask why, in hindsight, why something wasn’t done that is only obvious after the fact.

I was always taught that ‘drains up" reviews must be de-personalised and not pre-judged, and ask "what went wrong", not "who did that wrong thing" - learn from mistakes, and if people did make wrong decisions, understand the reasoning behind those decisions, because as jonbxx said above, it’s rare that people actively do things wrong, it’s often unforeseen or changing circumstances.
You assume that no information was available and that the UK did not know what was coming. We had the luxury of a number of weeks before we became Italy. We literally could see into the future.

The advisors who came up with the initial Herd Immunity idea that delayed action for at least a week. Who are they and are they still advising the Government? The people that deliberately ignored the opportunity to get onboard the EU-wide procurement scheme for Ventilators and PPE, why did they make this decision and they still making similar decisions? They got it wrong then and they could get it wrong again.

When the WHO said the only way to combat this virus is to test, test and test again. Why did the UK choose to ignore this advice? What was the reasoning behind this.

Without challenge, the same mistakes can and probably will be made. You need to learn from your mistakes quickly and that process is to question, analyse, conclude and then act.
Old 14-04-2020, 23:20   #2159
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Sorry Hom3r, I want to echo what Chris has said.
Old 14-04-2020, 23:52   #2160
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Sorry Hom3r, I want to echo what Chris has said.
I think all of us echo what Chris has said.
Closed Thread