Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What have you just bought?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

What have you just bought?

Old 29-04-2015, 14:34   #2041
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What have you just bought?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Must have got the buying bug: Just ordered a new high gain Freeview antenna kit which includes 10m of co-ax. The old one on the gable has been disintigrating for years but a gale recently rotated it 180 and twisted thro 90 so understandably the picture is not very good.

I'll be trying the new one in the loft* as I can get it to within about 10 feet horizontally from the one on the gable so hopefully it'll get enough signal. I can also route the cable down inside stud walls to the point where the old antenna cable is under the floor and has a junction point.

*I don't do ladders.
I don't blame you for going for a loft aerial. Worst case you might need an amplifier but if you're in a strong signal area you should be fine.
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-04-2015, 15:02   #2042
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyds View Post
I don't blame you for going for a loft aerial. Worst case you might need an amplifier but if you're in a strong signal area you should be fine.
We're ~14 miles from the Whitehawk relay transmitter in Brighton.

I already have amplifiers and splitters in the leads as the signal gets distributed round the house mixed in with the output of a modulator on VM's HD box. Worst case I might have to swap them around a bit.

Even without a reflector the old rotting 625 antenna on the gable showed 80% signal and it was meant for the high end of the UHF band rather than Freeview that's a bit lower down the band. Never even thought about it til we got a Freeview capable TV in the Kitchen a couple of years ago so I was pleasantly surprised when it tuned in OK.
Old 29-04-2015, 15:49   #2043
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

Services: tv phone mobile broadband V6 and tivo.
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star

Artist canvas, paint and modelling clay for the wee one's science homework for his 3D plant cell model.
Old 29-04-2015, 17:52   #2044
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Some of these to stick on my glasses. I may well look silly but they should help with my phone and other stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d3.3sl.jpg (12.2 KB, 17 views)
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:40   #2045
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star
Panasonic TX50-AX802B 3D 4K TV.
superb picture, lots of features but and here's the crux, have an issue getting the TV to accept a 4k feed over display port. Only tried with my media centre with a 6570 card. Shows 2 screens @ 1920x2160 which is where the panels are stitched, gonna try with my gtx970 later, if that don't work it's going back as it's a lot of money to spend on an item that doesn't do what it says in the tin.
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:53   #2046
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by alferret View Post
Panasonic TX50-AX802B 3D 4K TV.
superb picture, lots of features but and here's the crux, have an issue getting the TV to accept a 4k feed over display port. Only tried with my media centre with a 6570 card. Shows 2 screens @ 1920x2160 which is where the panels are stitched, gonna try with my gtx970 later, if that don't work it's going back as it's a lot of money to spend on an item that doesn't do what it says in the tin.
Unless you sit really close to your TV (a monitor for example), I don't see the point yet in 4k for TV. By the time (Big IF) they become the norm, the TVs that cost a premium today will be old tech.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:10   #2047
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

Nothing exciting for me this week,only some plants I received from a deal in the Daily Mail
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 15:41   #2048
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville View Post
Nothing exciting for me this week,only some plants I received from a deal in the Daily Mail
Are they right wing plants with racist tendencies?...

I just bought some new telescopic loppers to replace some which on which the anvil broke. I managed to get the very same make but in a bypass cut variation and if they last half as well as the old pair I wont be needing any for about another 10 years.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/telescopic...s-lopper/53249

Great value for a tenner!
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 17:45   #2049
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

Services: tv phone mobile broadband V6 and tivo.
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star

Domino's pizza.
Old 01-05-2015, 20:47   #2050
alferret
cf.mega poster

alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
Unless you sit really close to your TV (a monitor for example), I don't see the point yet in 4k for TV. By the time (Big IF) they become the norm, the TVs that cost a premium today will be old tech.
We sit about 6ft from the screen, with 4x pixel count the picture is far better than our old lg 42".
The upscaling to faux 4k from 1080p is very good, side by side it's chalk and cheese when comparing the 2 TV's
Was it worth the additional cost? Yea it was, considering we were originally looking for a 55-60" 1080p 3D TV which can be got for 700'ish and we paid a lot more for this panny. Hopefully firmware updates will keep this TV in tip top condition for at least the next 5 years.
Old 01-05-2015, 23:13   #2051
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by alferret View Post
We sit about 6ft from the screen, with 4x pixel count the picture is far better than our old lg 42".
The upscaling to faux 4k from 1080p is very good, side by side it's chalk and cheese when comparing the 2 TV's
Was it worth the additional cost? Yea it was, considering we were originally looking for a 55-60" 1080p 3D TV which can be got for 700'ish and we paid a lot more for this panny. Hopefully firmware updates will keep this TV in tip top condition for at least the next 5 years.
Austerity hasn't reached your household yet it seems.

Enjoy your new TV!
Old 02-05-2015, 10:15   #2052
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Two packs of pork shanks in peppercorn sauce (2 per pack) for £1.74 each in Lidl's this morning and some cut price rump steaks for tonight.
Old 02-05-2015, 19:03   #2053
alferret
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Austerity hasn't reached your household yet it seems.

Enjoy your new TV!
Lol not yet!
Old 02-05-2015, 19:19   #2054
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Two packs of pork shanks in peppercorn sauce (2 per pack) for £1.74 each in Lidl's this morning and some cut price rump steaks for tonight.
It's perfectly possibly to eat well and eat cheaply isn't it. Not tried the pork shanks yet.
Old 02-05-2015, 19:30   #2055
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

We bought a big pack of thighs and drumsticks for £4 and that makes three meals and there is plenty of other produce out there which is very economical in making meals in my opinion.