Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 14-05-2019, 11:47   #5296
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

But will 'linear programmes' sent over the internet give a better viewer experience than those sent via aerial, satellite or cable?
Advertisement
Old 14-05-2019, 12:23   #5297
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I’m sure we’d all agree DAB and FM radio are superior to MW radio for instance.
FM maybe. DAB isn't so great in the UK unfortunately - https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/ca...fix-it-1217586

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1948uk View Post
But will 'linear programmes' sent over the internet give a better viewer experience than those sent via aerial, satellite or cable?
Depends what you mean by that. Done right it will be no worse that is currently available for picture or sound quality.

However doing it as IP allows it to much more fluid as to how and where you watch. Look at what you can do with 'Watch from Start' on iPlayer for 'Live' channels.
Old 14-05-2019, 13:37   #5298
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I'd suggest looking at some of the services I've listed above , I believe you'll find they carry lots of linear broadcast channels but then that doesn't fit with your beliefs does it.
For the second time, they are linear channels made available through IPTV, not traditionally broadcast channels.
Old 14-05-2019, 14:12   #5299
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
For the second time, they are linear channels made available through IPTV, not traditionally broadcast channels.
They are the exact same channel , do you even know what you are talking about ? You talk like it's something brand new.

Both Sky and Virgin Media have been distributing linear broadcast channels over IP for ages with Sky Go and VM TV Anywhere or whatever they call it these days.

Your main point was the linear channels would be gone forever clearly not.
Old 14-05-2019, 14:32   #5300
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
They are the exact same channel , do you even know what you are talking about ? You talk like it's something brand new.

Both Sky and Virgin Media have been distributing linear broadcast channels over IP for ages with Sky Go and VM TV Anywhere or whatever they call it these days.

Your main point was the linear channels would be gone forever clearly not.
You are ignoring completely what I am saying.

It should be crystal clear by now that I am talking about the TV channels that are made available by our transmitters, cable and satellite. In other words, the traditional broadcast channels.

I have always said that live TV in the future will be streamed TV, although in my view, anything other than news and sport is not likely to be too popular a means by which people watch by that method. For that reason, they would have to make their streamed services more attractive if the broadcasters wanted them to be available in the future, as the Beeb have done on their i-Player.

The Pluto TV-style viewing experience will still appeal to some, but I think it's only a matter of time before non-live events are watched mainly by way of VOD.

To be clear, it is the method of delivery I have been talking about, not specifically the channels themselves made available by alternative means, although these will not be so popular in time and will decline because simply VOD will be far easier to access. I mean, why would anyone go to the programme they want to see from scheduled programming when it is already displayed prominently to be watched on VOD?
Old 14-05-2019, 14:34   #5301
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Hang on is linear surviving the apocalypse after all?
Old 14-05-2019, 14:44   #5302
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Hang on is linear surviving the apocalypse after all?
Never said it wasn't. See above post.
Old 14-05-2019, 19:35   #5303
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

While some here think that the media landscape is not in a significant shift away from linear to streaming, Disney don't. They've just taken full control of Hulu, although oddly, Comcast will still own its share for another five years :

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2019/05/1...he-street.html
Old 14-05-2019, 20:23   #5304
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
While some here think that the media landscape is not in a significant shift away from linear to streaming, Disney don't. They've just taken full control of Hulu, although oddly, Comcast will still own its share for another five years :

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2019/05/1...he-street.html
I can't think of anyone who doesn't see streaming as a part of the landscape. I myself subscribe to three of them and whether I'm with Sky or Virgin 'on demand' viewing is something I personally use frequently.

Hulu is also losing all NBC Universal content as a result of that deal, obviously Comcast will keep that on their own services. In the UK that will probably be known as Sky and/or Now TV.
Old 14-05-2019, 21:26   #5305
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

I think Comcast will use the Sky brand for their global streamer as they paid so much for the company, but we'll see.

As I said the other week, I don't see in the long term Disney (and the other companies) having multiple streaming services each. I know Disney is known for its kids content and ESPN for its sports and HULU for live tv and drama, but it seems crazy having different streaming services. I expect that the Hulu brand will get dumped and either Disney will use the Disney name for everything, or pick something else with different pricing tiers depending on what you want.

Aka, the short version of that is I expect Hulu to be absorbed into Disney +.
Old 30-05-2019, 15:32   #5306
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Netflix to raise prices for UK subscribers by up to 20%.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...box=1559222742

Quote:
The streaming company, which has not raised prices in the UK since 2017, is increasing the cost of a standard plan by £1 to £8.99 and premium by £2 to £11.99. The price of a basic plan remains unchanged at £5.99.
Quote:
The company is looking to drive revenues from its customers, which number more than 150 million globally, as the company seeks to continue to fund its $15bn (£12bn) content budget and try to keep a cap on long-term costs and debt totalling about $30bn.

Quote:
The company, which has 10 million UK subscribers, said new customers will pay the higher rates immediately, while the increases will be implemented for existing users “over the coming weeks”.
Old 30-05-2019, 16:43   #5307
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Don't forget though this streaming world will still be cheap as chips Den.
Old 30-05-2019, 16:47   #5308
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Well MM there is actual reality and there is actual fantasy at the end of the day.

Answers on a postcard.
Old 30-05-2019, 19:36   #5309
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:

Interestingly, no comment as yet from OB😱
Old 30-05-2019, 20:13   #5310
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Interestingly, no comment as yet from OB😱
Jeremy Hunt eat your heart out.