Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 13-04-2019, 11:21   #5116
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

The content discussed in the article is just one strand of the Disney+ service, and I will not be subscribing to that because it will not contain the sort of material my wife and I watch.

The other two strands are ESPN Sport and Hulu. So not being followers of any sport, it is just the Hulu strand that would interest us, and we would certainly want to subscribe to that.
Advertisement
Old 13-04-2019, 12:05   #5117
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
The content discussed in the article is just one strand of the Disney+ service, and I will not be subscribing to that because it will not contain the sort of material my wife and I watch.

The other two strands are ESPN Sport and Hulu. So not being followers of any sport, it is just the Hulu strand that would interest us, and we would certainly want to subscribe to that.
So what’s the exhaustive list of known (and proposed) streaming services in the USA:

Netflix
Amazon
HBO
Disney+
ESPN
Hulu
Hayu
DAZN
Apple TV
DC Universe
Direct TV Now
WWE Network
UFC
F1
All the major sports NFL, NBA, NHL offer something.
Old 13-04-2019, 14:22   #5118
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
So what’s the exhaustive list of known (and proposed) streaming services in the USA:

Netflix
Amazon
HBO
Disney+
ESPN
Hulu
Hayu
DAZN
Apple TV
DC Universe
Direct TV Now
WWE Network
UFC
F1
All the major sports NFL, NBA, NHL offer something.
And the rest! For example:

https://flixed.io/complete-list-streaming-services/

People over here worry when they consider that one or two additional streaming services may be coming, but actually we have a very limited choice in the UK at the moment.

Ultimately, there will be lots to choose from and people will be able to choose the ones that best suit them. Very few will choose to subscribe to them all!
Old 13-04-2019, 15:02   #5119
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

I suspected as much. Better have deep pockets to maintain a comprehensive choice of viewing equivalent to that available now through Sky/Virgin. It doesn't take many £6s to add up to the basic package prices as it is.
Old 13-04-2019, 15:25   #5120
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

What exactly is ESPN going to be showing in the UK they left this market a long while ago. BT Sport now has a deal to show ESPN content and has a channel named accordingly.
Old 13-04-2019, 19:24   #5121
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
I suspected as much. Better have deep pockets to maintain a comprehensive choice of viewing equivalent to that available now through Sky/Virgin. It doesn't take many £6s to add up to the basic package prices as it is.
No, that's just silly. There is far more choice available on the streaming services. It would be pointless subscribing to all of them because you would never be able to get through it all.

I have a considerable watch list as it is with just Netflix and Amazon, so why would I want to add another half a dozen streaming services to that?

I would consider adding the Disney+ Hulu service and maybe Starzplay, but that would be it.

If Discovery offered a service with good content on it I might go for that but ditch Starzplay (I would probably have seen all I want to from their more limited content by then anyway).

Most people will just choose the services that are relevant to them. They will have a huge choice for less than they are currently paying for pay TV, and don't forget that quite a few AVOD services will also be available without subscription.

---------- Post added at 18:24 ---------- Previous post was at 18:18 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
What exactly is ESPN going to be showing in the UK they left this market a long while ago. BT Sport now has a deal to show ESPN content and has a channel named accordingly.
It may be that Disney will let the existing deal with BT run its course before offering the service, but just guessing to be honest.
Old 13-04-2019, 19:41   #5122
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
No, that's just silly. There is far more choice available on the streaming services. It would be pointless subscribing to all of them because you would never be able to get through it all.

I have a considerable watch list as it is with just Netflix and Amazon, so why would I want to add another half a dozen streaming services to that?

I would consider adding the Disney+ Hulu service and maybe Starzplay, but that would be it.

If Discovery offered a service with good content on it I might go for that but ditch Starzplay (I would probably have seen all I want to from their more limited content by then anyway).

Most people will just choose the services that are relevant to them. They will have a huge choice for less than they are currently paying for pay TV, and don't forget that quite a few AVOD services will also be available without subscription.

---------- Post added at 18:24 ---------- Previous post was at 18:18 ----------

It may be that Disney will let the existing deal with BT run its course before offering the service, but just guessing to be honest.
It's not really the point that you couldn't watch it all, I could never watch all of the content on 250 channels, but it's reducing the choice available and increasing the cost if the content someone would want to watch ends up across four or five different platforms.

If I go into work on Monday and someone raves about something they saw over the weekend I'll probably have access to it. In the future there's less chance.

"Oh, sorry, only three of the six streaming services I pay £30 a month for match up with your selection and I don't have that one."
Old 13-04-2019, 20:21   #5123
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
It's not really the point that you couldn't watch it all, I could never watch all of the content on 250 channels, but it's reducing the choice available and increasing the cost if the content someone would want to watch ends up across four or five different platforms.

If I go into work on Monday and someone raves about something they saw over the weekend I'll probably have access to it. In the future there's less chance.

"Oh, sorry, only three of the six streaming services I pay £30 a month for match up with your selection and I don't have that one."
That's not how it will work in practice, though. If you hear about a programme you particularly want to watch, you can dip into the service that provides it. There will not be any annual or 18 month contracts, so you can chop and change as much as you like.

Incidentally, I should also say that Britbox will give you a pretty comprehensive choice over multiple genres. Netflix is also getting into natural history programmes and documentaries to supplement its films and scripted dramas.
Old 13-04-2019, 20:34   #5124
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
That's not how it will work in practice, though. If you hear about a programme you particularly want to watch, you can dip into the service that provides it. There will not be any annual or 18 month contracts, so you can chop and change as much as you like.

Incidentally, I should also say that Britbox will give you a pretty comprehensive choice over multiple genres. Netflix is also getting into natural history programmes and documentaries to supplement its films and scripted dramas.
None of these companies are building business models where they realistically expect customers to subscribe for 2/3 months per year.
Old 13-04-2019, 20:42   #5125
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Britbox in my view is highly likely to bomb out given the 80lb gorillas it will have to face as it has come to the party far too late when the horses has already bolted.

Add to that the complexities of content deals already done with other streaming companies by the Britbox players and the different distribution windows the main Britbox players want as well and the recipe is there for it to bomb out pretty quickly IMO.
Old 14-04-2019, 09:57   #5126
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Disney prepares to strike back at Netflix...

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...s-episode-nine

Quote:
Netflix has until now shown a clean pair of heels to all-comers, but is facing a much stiffer test as the Hollywood studios pull their content to boost their own planned rival streaming services.
Quote:
“Netflix’s content balance act continues to appear precarious,” says Michael Pachter, analyst at Wedbush Securities.

Quote:
“By the end of 2020, we expect all of this programming to have disappeared from Netflix, and we think the company will find replacing the content with originals a daunting task.”
Old 14-04-2019, 11:02   #5127
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

That’s a lot of hyperbole. Netflix may have a lot of old box sets and a few good films available but those who stick with their subscription do so because of their original content. Netflix knows this and is chucking millions at it.

Locally, most Marvel Studios content has never been available on Netflix UK, even though it has been available in the US. The TV spin offs mentioned in the article were commissioned by Netflix so it’s doubtful Disney could pull them even if it wanted to.

You can only get so much value out of a movie. What keeps subscribers coming back is TV serials and at the moment Disney has next to no heritage of producing TV material other than kids stuff, which is exactly what they don’t want to do if they want to compete with Netflix. What they are going to have to do is get Marvel and Lucasfilm turning out original series content for them, aimed at older teens and adults, which poses its own problems because Lucasfilm doesn’t know how and Marvel has previously only done TV with production partners such as Netflix or ABC. Whether or not they can steer their own productions process from start to finish without outside help remains to be seen.
Old 14-04-2019, 16:28   #5128
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
That’s a lot of hyperbole. Netflix may have a lot of old box sets and a few good films available but those who stick with their subscription do so because of their original content. Netflix knows this and is chucking millions at it.

Locally, most Marvel Studios content has never been available on Netflix UK, even though it has been available in the US. The TV spin offs mentioned in the article were commissioned by Netflix so it’s doubtful Disney could pull them even if it wanted to.

You can only get so much value out of a movie. What keeps subscribers coming back is TV serials and at the moment Disney has next to no heritage of producing TV material other than kids stuff, which is exactly what they don’t want to do if they want to compete with Netflix. What they are going to have to do is get Marvel and Lucasfilm turning out original series content for them, aimed at older teens and adults, which poses its own problems because Lucasfilm doesn’t know how and Marvel has previously only done TV with production partners such as Netflix or ABC. Whether or not they can steer their own productions process from start to finish without outside help remains to be seen.

Spot on, Chris
Old 14-04-2019, 16:45   #5129
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Disney own ABC and have done for a very long time, so they have have a long history of non-kids television production.
Old 14-04-2019, 20:46   #5130
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
None of these companies are building business models where they realistically expect customers to subscribe for 2/3 months per year.
And yet that's exactly what some people do now. As subscriptions are not tied to one year contracts, clearly their business models do allow for people to dip in and out as they wish.

---------- Post added at 19:46 ---------- Previous post was at 19:42 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Disney prepares to strike back at Netflix...

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...s-episode-nine
I don't buy it, Den. Netflix now has plenty of original material on it and that is certainly all I ever watch, apart from the occasional film.

I don't pay good money for the purpose of watching repeats, and judging by the amount of criticism the BBC has received over the years for the number of repeats it shows, I would imagine many people agree with me.

Those who like watching repeats need look no further than the UKTV channels.
Closed Thread