Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 20-05-2018, 20:40   #4306
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Sport is rather a different proposition, I'll grant you that. However, it is likely that you will be able to pick and choose which sports you want to watch, rather than paying for a lot of sport that doesn't interest you.

I think maybe there will be a lot more choice of sports events televised than as at present, which could give the impression that you are getting less value for money whereas you may be making choices that lead you to watch more of your preferred sports than you are able to do now.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out.
Sport is the only thing I am interested in.

I'd rather be able to watch the same variety of sport that I do know thanks, I am afraid it will be reality not an impression that I will get less for money.

Not sure I have time to watch more of my preferred sports.
Advertisement
Old 20-05-2018, 22:43   #4307
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
....And by the way, Chris, my prediction was for 20, not 10 years ahead.
Except that it wasn’t:

Quote:
(snip)
I appreciate that there are things that need to be sorted out first, such as giving everyone access to broadband at an appropriate speed, but I do think that this is about 10 years + away. I'm sure it will come, though.
Post 63 in this thread: https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...php?t=33699901

Happy to be of service.
Old 21-05-2018, 07:33   #4308
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Except that it wasn’t:

Post 63 in this thread: https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...php?t=33699901

Happy to be of service.
You have misinterpreted me, although, sorry, I could have been clearer. I was referring to broadband speed here, not the demise of the broadcast linear channels, which I have consistently said may be 20 years away. Probably 18 now!
Old 21-05-2018, 11:06   #4309
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
You have misinterpreted me, although, sorry, I could have been clearer. I was referring to broadband speed here, not the demise of the broadcast linear channels, which I have consistently said may be 20 years away. Probably 18 now!
No, you weren’t, you were talking about a wholesale switch to streaming TV and the end of linear broadcast, as per this post from the same thread, quoted in full so we can all see that you’re not discussing broadband capacity:

Quote:
Not sure what you mean, but I think the number of TV channels will reduce over time and eventually go altogether.

I think in the future you will just pay for what you watch, with a choice of subscription and/or pay per view. Commercial broadcasters are pretty unanimous in pleading that the TV licence system is out of date.

When you compare the instant access to the programmes you want to see with the likes of Netflix and Amazon Prime, with the tiresome wait for the programme you want to see on broadcast TV and those interminable advertisements, I think that most people, in time, will come to accept the inevitable.

I acknowledge I could well be wrong on the 10 years time span, but come it will, I'm convinced of that. Of course something even more startling may develop in the meantime which none of us have even contemplated!
To be fair, though, you did begin to see your error quite quickly. Maybe that’s why you’ve now completely forgotten your original prediction.
Old 21-05-2018, 12:54   #4310
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
No, you weren’t, you were talking about a wholesale switch to streaming TV and the end of linear broadcast, as per this post from the same thread, quoted in full so we can all see that you’re not discussing broadband capacity:

To be fair, though, you did begin to see your error quite quickly. Maybe that’s why you’ve now completely forgotten your original prediction.
As I said, Chris, that last paragraph was about the broadband rollout, which is the reference to 10 years. My other posts make this clear.

This is from a 2017 post on the Coming Soon thread, and there are plenty of other examples. You and others are constantly trying to corrupt what I have said, and time and again I've had to put you right. This is an example of such a corfection and there are many others.

Linear broadcasting might well be impacted in about 10 years, but I did not say they would be gone in 10 years. I stand by my original prediction of 20 years (now 18, I guess) which appears to be aligned with the BBC's thinking as communicated recently.

Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone

Is that in the future of 2098 or perhaps in the year 2156

I think your maths is a bit off there, old chap! We were talking about 20 years..

Last edited by OLD BOY; 21-05-2018 at 13:29.
Old 21-05-2018, 13:23   #4311
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

If you say so.

Anyone who’s interested - and why wouldn’t they be, you’ve been banging on about this for 3 years now - can click the blue arrow link in your quoted post and see the context for themselves. I read it while sitting in a long and boring barbershop queue this morning.
Old 21-05-2018, 13:33   #4312
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
If you say so.

Anyone who’s interested - and why wouldn’t they be, you’ve been banging on about this for 3 years now - can click the blue arrow link in your quoted post and see the context for themselves. I read it while sitting in a long and boring barbershop queue this morning.
It was #498 on 16 February 2017 on that Coming Soon (2017) post. I think that was clear enough.

Earlier posts all refer to 20 years.
Old 21-05-2018, 13:38   #4313
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
It was #498 on 16 February 2017 on that Coming Soon (2017) post. I think that was clear enough.

Earlier posts all refer to 20 years.
You started all this off three years ago (i.e. in 2015) in a thread called “the future of linear TV channels’. The thread is still viewable and I have provided links to it so that everyone can see how, in the first 100 or so posts, you argued that linear broadcast TV would be supplanted by streaming services in around 10 years.

There’s really no point arguing any more ... you may say what you like but the posts are there for all to see (if they’re bored enough) ... the only thing that renders this mildly amusing is you continuing to claim you said something very different in the face of your own published comments.

I shall leave it there, as I’m boring myself to sleep now and have work to do anyway. Last word is yours if you want it.
Old 21-05-2018, 14:21   #4314
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
You started all this off three years ago (i.e. in 2015) in a thread called “the future of linear TV channels’. The thread is still viewable and I have provided links to it so that everyone can see how, in the first 100 or so posts, you argued that linear broadcast TV would be supplanted by streaming services in around 10 years.

There’s really no point arguing any more ... you may say what you like but the posts are there for all to see (if they’re bored enough) ... the only thing that renders this mildly amusing is you continuing to claim you said something very different in the face of your own published comments.

I shall leave it there, as I’m boring myself to sleep now and have work to do anyway. Last word is yours if you want it.
2015, huh? Well, on 26 January 2015 #63, the following post appears:

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_m

It's not about being stuck in my ways, I can't see how the scenario you're outlining is better. I, and everybody, would need a stable unlimited broadband connection, to know that there weren't capacity issues in my area and that we'd always have speeds capable of delivering hd telly. We would have no choice to access tv but to pay the licence fee AND a broadband subscription, and that's before you take into account that literally everybody else in the country would be doing the same. You think evening is peak time for broadband now?

Not only is it a long long way off, we already have a system that works, backed up well by internet based solutions. Wanting to keep it isn't a case of being stuck in our ways! It's an acknowledgement that things are already pretty good.

If your question is what's wrong with moving to the system you've outlined then I think your question is wrong. It should be what's right with it? And I think part of the answer is that we are simply nowhere near the infrastructure, or the desire, or even the necessity, required.

OLD BOY replied:

Well, I would say that the situation I have described is better because you don't have to be a slave to the decisions of the programme schedulers - you can see the programme whenever you want to - and you don't have to put up with all those advertisements.

I appreciate that there are things that need to be sorted out first, such as giving everyone access to broadband at an appropriate speed, but I do think that this is about 10 years + away. I'm sure it will come, though.

Incidentally, don't most people pay a broadband subscription already? And if there has to be a TV licence, it is only fair that anyone with access to BBC programmes should pay it.

That's not to say that I necessarily agree with the TV licence, by the way!

You can keep spinning your line about 10 years if you want to, Chris, but even back in 2015 I was saying that linear TV channels (in the traditional sense) would disappear by 2035.

My references to 10 years have been referring to other things. For example, whether broadband will be robust enough, and the fact that things will look very different in 10 years. I stand by that, but as far as linear channels (except streaming channels) being abolished I have always said that I thought this would happen by 2035.

Anyhow, I don't see why you are making such a big thing out of what I think will happen. The fact that the BBC now say they are also planning to ditch conventional transmitter broadcasting after the next licence fee review surely shows I was thinking along the right lines. Those who have challenged me by saying it will never happen are way off beam.
Old 21-05-2018, 14:41   #4315
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Chris is certainly not spinning any line OB but you know that anyway as you know what you said at that said time but basically since then you have backtracked 180 degrees just like some of our skilled modern politicians do nowadays.

Last edited by denphone; 21-05-2018 at 15:06. Reason: Wrong wording.
Old 21-05-2018, 14:49   #4316
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Amazon Prime Video will go live on BT TV 'later this month'

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/b...now-tv-3474632
Old 21-05-2018, 14:55   #4317
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Chris is certainly not spinning any line OB but you know that anyway as you know what you said at that said time but basically since then you have backtracked 360 degrees just like some of our skilled modern politicians do nowadays.
I have discovered where this confusion has come from.

On 15 February 2015, in post #128 passingbat asked me why I had referred to the 20 year period when in a previous post I made reference to 10 years. I responded that this was my reference to things 'looking very different by 2025'. I pointed out in post #129 that the process of linear brodcast channels closing down would not be complete by then and that I thought that would not happen for about 20 years.

I have not changed my view on this at all, and I think it is up to you and others who are disputing this to prove it. The posts are there for all to see. Exactly what about my prediction that linear channels will all but disappear by 2035 do you think has changed? Proof that I was talking about 20 years in 2015 is in that very post #129 that I have quoted to you above.
Old 21-05-2018, 14:55   #4318
Topgun
1 of a 1000!

Services: Ultimate Oomph.
Topgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Chris is certainly not spinning any line OB but you know that anyway as you know what you said at that said time but basically since then you have backtracked 360 degrees just like some of our skilled modern politicians do nowadays.
Without wishing to be pedantic, if he's "backtracked 360 degrees", then he is in fact still going in the same direction he was to start with!
Old 21-05-2018, 15:00   #4319
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin-D View Post
Amazon Prime Video will go live on BT TV 'later this month'

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/b...now-tv-3474632
Thanks for the update, Gavin. VM falling behind again, it seems!

---------- Post added at 15:00 ---------- Previous post was at 14:58 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun View Post
Without wishing to be pedantic, if he's "backtracked 360 degrees", then he is in fact still going in the same direction he was to start with!
That's reassuring, Topgun, so he was agreeing with me all along, the cunning devil!
Old 21-05-2018, 15:02   #4320
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun View Post
Sorry my mistake as l meant 180 degrees.

---------- Post added at 15:02 ---------- Previous post was at 15:00 ----------

Quote:
Thanks for the update, Gavin. VM falling behind again, it seems!

---------- Post added at 15:00 ---------- Previous post was at 14:58 ----------

That's reassuring, Topgun, so he was agreeing with me all along, the cunning devil!
No so reassuring after all OB if one goes further on.