Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Moving a cable routing

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

Moving a cable routing

Old 16-06-2018, 11:37   #1
Peter729
cf.addict

Peter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the rough
Moving a cable routing

I want to move my Virgin cable from one side of the garden to the other unfortunately the cable goes under one of my fences, there’s plenty of cable available to accommodate the move. I don’t really want to dismantle the fence so I was wondering can I simply disconnect the cable from the brown box outside the house, pull the cable from under the fence, then reconnect the cable.

The big question is If I disconnect the cable will everything work when I reconnect the cable????? The cable only carries broadband, no phone or tv services are involved.

Any advice would be welcome, the physical task of disconnecting and reconnecting is easy I am just concerned that I will loose my broadband if I disconnect?????

Last edited by Peter729; 16-06-2018 at 11:45. Reason: Alteration
Peter729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-06-2018, 20:51   #2
SirThomas
cf.addict

Services: Vodafone 80x20 Backup, MixTV & V6, Vivid 350, Hub3 & RT-AC87u
SirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really nice
Re: Moving a cable routing

Officially, you should get Virgin out to do it.

Unofficially, as long as you don't get muck/water into the connectors - I'd just do it.
Make sure not to pull hard or lay with any extreme bends. If it's not already ducted, it might be a good idea to consider that (that said, Virgin rarely seem to bother)

If you've got the normal coaxial shotgun (with 2pair telephone) cable, you'd have to re-crimp with jelly connectors at the external box, so best to give it a miss if unsure.

Tom
SirThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 21:12   #3
Peter729
cf.addict

Peter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the rough

Thank you for the advice, the cable is ducted and I have planned to protect the connector with tape to ensure no dirt gets into it during the move. I am only moving the cable to the other side of the fence, maybe 4 feet in total. No phone connection on the Shotgun cable so only the one metal connection to unscrew and remake. Once moved the cable will be a straight run to the main connection point so no kinks or sharp bends and it will be out of my way when I am working in the garden.

Last edited by Peter729; 17-06-2018 at 21:19. Reason: Spelling
Old 18-06-2018, 13:20   #4
Peter729
cf.addict

All sorted
Old 21-06-2018, 09:23   #5
SirThomas
cf.addict

Services: Vodafone 80x20 Backup, MixTV & V6, Vivid 350, Hub3 & RT-AC87u
SirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really nice

Hurrah!

There was much rejoicing...

Tom
SirThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 09:40   #6
Peter729
cf.addict

The singing and dancing has yet to stop