Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2018)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2018)
Closed Thread

Old 31-12-2017, 16:47   #76
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2018)

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Virgin's main selling point will always be Broadband just as Sky's is Television. It really depends which all round offering suits your households needs the best.
I agree wholeheartedly with this statement.
I would go further as someone who recently invested in a reasonably future proof 4K TV and say that VM's broadband speeds will become their most important USP.
I have jumped through many hoops to get my 4K setup right and much of it relies on a good internet speed, unless you have a very large TV the resolution is kind of unimportant, any semi decent modern TV will upscale a broadcast HD picture to a very acceptable picture on the 4K TV, the trick to getting noticeably better pictures is having the ability to use the various HDR and Dolby Vision modes and at the moment that remains in the realms of Netflix, Amazon Prime and 4K Bluerays for content delivery, the former two rely on a good internet speed which is where VM excel.

As an aside some people are posting they want VM to add UHD content, can anyone with a V6 and Netflix answer me whether it just shows Netflix in 4K or does it also use Dolby Vision too?
Advertisement
Old 31-12-2017, 19:21   #77
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post

Jack Taylor

not a biggie considering the length of your list

Jack Taylor was shown on channel 5. (one of my favourite shows)

There is 4th season coming.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:11   #78
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I appreciate that Criminal Minds and Scandal are popular. I just used these two programmes as examples of how the higher quality Netflix series are getting us in this household to seek out less formulaic programmes.

As far as I am concerned, Netflix stuff is original if it has not be shown before in this country. In exactly the same way, a 'new series' on broadcast channels does not necessarily indicate that it has not been shown elsewhere on the planet.

The list of stuff I still need to watch on Netflix is amazing. For example:

Jack Taylor
Santa Clarita Diet
Making a Murderer
Beyond
Marco Polo
Bloodline
Continuum
Colony
Spotless
Ozark
The OA
How to get away with Murder
Shooter
13 Reasons Why
Gypsy
Power
3 Per Cent
Queen of the South
The Crown
Mindhunter
Greenleaf
Alias Grace
The Sinner
Star Trek: Discovery
Frontier
Glitch
Stranger Things 2
The Punisher
Godless
Designated Survivor
Travelers....

The list goes on. It would take me years to get a list anything like this from all the broadcast channels put together.

From The Colony onwards, all these are new programmes I have added in the last six months.
Your list shows Netflix has it's fair share of junk just like the rest.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:08   #79
nicknewark
Inactive

Services: V6 Tivo, Virgin BB, Freesat, NowTV. PS4 Pro
nicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation eranicknewark has entered a golden reputation era

Bloodline, Stranger Things and the Crown, brilliant.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:12   #80
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknewark View Post
Bloodline, Stranger Things and the Crown, brilliant
l like 2 of those three but MM is right as there is just as much pap on Netflix as there is everywhere else.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:27   #81
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l like 2 of those three but MM is right as there is just as much pap on Netflix as there is everywhere else.
One person’s ‘pap’ is another person’s enjoyment.

I am not a big fan (to put it mildly) of Mrs Brown’s Boys/Eastenders/Corrie/reality TV shows, but they are amongst the most watched programmes on TV.

Why can’t we just focus on the things WE enjoy, rather than denigrating the things others find enjoyable - at the end of the day, it’s only a TV programme/film, and there is such a wide range of programmes/films for people to choose things from.

YMMV
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 01-01-2018 at 16:31.
Old 01-01-2018, 13:29   #82
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknewark View Post
Bloodline, Stranger Things and the Crown, brilliant.

I agree with those mate, and i'd add Ozark onto that list, thought it was really good too.
Old 01-01-2018, 13:41   #83
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
I don’t know how you can say that in all seriousness, Den. There are some good dramas in there by the look of it. I would be surprised if you’d seen them all to come to that judgement.

If that list is pap according to you, the stuff on the scheduled channels is almost undescribable.

To be fair, there does seem to be some good new stuff coming through on the linear channels this month. Netflix is still streets ahead, however.
Old 01-01-2018, 13:56   #84
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
I don’t know how you can say that in all seriousness, Den. There are some good dramas in there by the look of it. I would be surprised if you’d seen them all to come to that judgement.

If that list is pap according to you, the stuff on the scheduled channels is almost undescribable.

To be fair, there does seem to be some good new stuff coming through on the linear channels this month. Netflix is still streets ahead, however.

I should have added Manhunt UNA Bomber, was excellent, I think you'd like it OB...
Old 01-01-2018, 14:45   #85
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I should have added Manhunt UNA Bomber, was excellent, I think you'd like it OB...
Ha, ha, thank you, Max, I'll take a look at that!
Old 01-01-2018, 17:23   #86
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post

l quite agree.

---------- Post added at 17:18 ---------- Previous post was at 17:14 ----------

Quote:
Why can’t we just focus on the things WE enjoy, rather than denigrating the things others find enjoyable - at the end of the day, it’s only a TV programme/film, and there is such a wide range of programmes/films for people to choose things from.

YMMV
l am not denigrating what other people watch as that is what they like and l have nothing wrong with that.

---------- Post added at 17:21 ---------- Previous post was at 17:18 ----------

Quote:

My point was whether its Linear TV , Streaming and or other platforms not everything is going to be that good to watch.

---------- Post added at 17:23 ---------- Previous post was at 17:21 ----------

Quote:

Well each to their own tastes as we find plenty on the main broadcast channels to watch.
Old 01-01-2018, 17:27   #87
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
l quite agree.

---------- Post added at 17:18 ---------- Previous post was at 17:14 ----------

l am not denigrating what other people watch as that is what they like and l have nothing wrong with that.

---------- Post added at 17:21 ---------- Previous post was at 17:18 ----------

My point was whether its Linear TV , Streaming and or other platforms not everything is going to be that good to watch.

---------- Post added at 17:23 ---------- Previous post was at 17:21 ----------

Well each to their own tastes as we find plenty on the main broadcast channels to watch.
Definition of pap

Quote:
worthless or trivial reading matter or entertainment.
"limitless channels serving up an undemanding diet of pap"
Calling programmes that other watch "worthless or trivial" is denigrating, imho.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 01-01-2018, 19:17   #88
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

The Recovery Channel is currently available and showing slow TV on channel 269.

At first I thought that this was something similar to Landscape that TV channels dip in and out of, but it's a pop up channel available until 6am on 2/1/18.

Looks like The Community Channel are now prepared to sell their airtime.
Old 01-01-2018, 19:59   #89
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:

I am not a big fan (to put it mildly) of Mrs Brown’s Boys/Eastenders/Corrie/reality TV shows, but they are amongst the most watched programmes on TV.

YMMV
Well said.

---------- Post added at 19:59 ---------- Previous post was at 19:58 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I agree with those mate, and i'd add Ozark onto that list, thought it was really good too.
This reminds me i'm still yet to watch Ozark it's been on my Netflix watchlist since release lol.
A programme i'm really enjoying although it be via HULU is Marvels runaways, i really hope a uk network pick this up as if one does some of you are in for a treat.
Old 01-01-2018, 20:42   #90
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

Let me put this business concerning a long standing discussion on SA coming to VM.

Its rumoured to be coming to VM in early 2019. Not good enough. We have been talking about this channel for many years.

About two years, l read an article in the media and business news. From the CEO of Sky. He was asked about SA coming to VM. He stated ' We have offered SA to VM on several occasions, and even reduced the cost, so that VM customers can enjoy this channel.'

VM stated that they were NOT prepared to pay OVER the limit for a channel.

I said at the time that VM want the channel on the cheap, but at the end pf the day it will be US that pay for the channel at the end of the day.

With a new year, its about time that VM directors got together and gave us the channel that everyone wants.

I am certain that this year VM will increase prices more than once and still say ' we want the best for our customers.

VM will come a cropper, as the are many products that you can get SA on. So they will lose out or again got to Ofcom to complain
Closed Thread