Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Remote cctv viewing

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Remote cctv viewing

Old 10-07-2018, 21:14   #1
Leo95
Inactive

Leo95 is an unknown quantity at this point
Remote cctv viewing

Hi,

i recently swapped over to virgin from BT and got the new hub 3.

i have cctv through a dvr which was plugged directly into the back of the BT router via an Ethernet cable.

Since swapping over I am unable to view the cctv through the super live pro app on my phone remotely.

Do I have to reconfigure the IP address on the virgin router under port forwarding, I have tried this but the router will only allow me to alter the last set of numbers of the ip address where’s the dvr boxe’s address has the 3rd and 4th set of its ip address are different.

hopefully this makes sense.

thanks
Leo95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-07-2018, 11:04   #2
Khenryashley
Freedom for smokers

Services: VM. 3 boxes ( 1 x TiVo 2 x V6) 350 mbps BB
Khenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the rough
Re: Remote cctv viewing

Does your Dvr have a static Ip. You may have to change it if the BT and Virgin routers have different ip ranges.
Khenryashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 12:01   #3
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Most home networks use 192.168 addresses. The 3rd digit is normally also "fixed" but will vary between different manufacturers/ISPs.

There are some rules
.0 is the network address and .255 broadcast so you can't use them.

My router allows me to limit the range of numbers that are allocated on request (I've set 100-200) which leaves me 2-99 and 201-254 for static devices or where I can fix the address in DHCP so the device can remain using DHCP but on my network always gets the same address. So my printer is fixed at 254.

In your case it seems the DVR has a fixed address on your old network so you need to get to it and change to either using DHCP or alter the 3rd digit to match your new network. Then you can port forward to the device through the SHub.

A more complex alternative would be to alter the netmask for the network, normally set to 255.255.255.0. This fixes the first 3 sections and gives you 254 client addresses. If you change it to 255.255.254.0 it allows you to use variation in the 3rd digit, in this case only the last bit so you could have 192.168.0 and 192.168.1 and all the clients excluding 192.168.0.0 and 192.168.1.255. But this is far more tricky and may not be possible on some equipment.

Last edited by tweetiepooh; 11-07-2018 at 12:06.
tweetiepooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 20:23   #4
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I don't like this "digit" thing going on, they are called octets. The reason why you can't reach the cameras is because the dvr is on a different subnet to the rest of your devices (and phone) so they cant talk to each other. The best thing you can do is to go into the network option for the dvr, set it to "obtain ip address automatically" and either restart it/unplug it etc and when it comes back up you'll see it has got a new ip address in the range specified by the router and the correct subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. Your cameras will be set to the same by default.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 10:21   #5
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I don't like this "digit" thing going on, they are called octets. The reason why you can't reach the cameras is because the dvr is on a different subnet to the rest of your devices (and phone) so they cant talk to each other. The best thing you can do is to go into the network option for the dvr, set it to "obtain ip address automatically" and either restart it/unplug it etc and when it comes back up you'll see it has got a new ip address in the range specified by the router and the correct subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. Your cameras will be set to the same by default.
Max is correct, though an easier thing to do would be to just set the DVR to use an IP address that's on the same subnet. Letting it pick one up automatically means it might move around, but you can safely set it to something like 192.168.0.250 and it's unlikely to conflict (unless you have 250+ devices on your network in which case you're far better off getting a standalone router where you can change the subnet mask).
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote