Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Solo: A Star Wars Story

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Film & Cinema

Solo: A Star Wars Story

Old 09-04-2018, 20:33   #61
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Not always a fair representation of a movie.
I disagree, the whole point of trailers are to advertise the movie and give it a positive spin. I have seen a couple of films recently where the way they edited the trailer made it look like a story line was going to go one way and it went somewhere else but that is fine because it adds to the surprise when watching the film. Trailers have got to representative of the film to some degree though otherwise nobody would be;oeve anything they see or hear. If the main actor in a film looks weak in the trailer then I assume that his entire performance in the film is going to be weak.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2018, 20:44   #62
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

I'm sorry General but this may be the first time I've disagreed with you. OK I'm not as centred on Star Wars as you are but I am a SciFi fan and expect pretty much the same as you when it comes to believability and the possible science behind it.

With this though it appears that you are letting your preconceived ideas of what Star Wars should be cloud your judgement on what the film should be.

Of course I could be totally wrong but to say you're not even going to watch it???
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 21:08   #63
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Of course I could be totally wrong
you are

Quote:
you are letting your preconceived ideas of what Star Wars should be cloud your judgement (okay Yoda)
it is not my preconceived idea of Star Wars, it is my preconceived idea of Han Solo. The story can be about anything and I happy to be pleasantly surprised and if it was a standalone movie like Rogue One with people that we don't know then I go in open minded with a clean slate. When you have got established characters though which are decades old then a new actor (whether it is for a younger prequel or older sequel) needs to resemble the established persona which billions of people know and love. Same goes for if they decided to recast Carrie Fisher in Episode X.

Quote:
I'm not as centred on Star Wars as you are
me neither. I am a fan in that I am very passionate about it and love it and would go to a Jedi Academy if one existed but I am not one of the diehard fans who reads all the books, collects stuff and knows everything about the Star Wars universe. I have watched the movies a million times and that is it.
Old 09-04-2018, 21:58   #64
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

So by your own standard
Quote:
it is my preconceived idea of Han Solo.
No-one changes from birth to death. No amount of outside influence or ordeals they may/may not have undergone will affect them.
Old 09-04-2018, 22:14   #65
General Maximus
Ran Away

They sure do but they also have a core personality that doesnt change. You could see it in Chris Pine in Star Trek but there isnt a hint of it here. If i cut him.out of that trailer and showed you the footage of him by himself would you identify him as Han Solo? You are probably going to say that the character hasnt developed into Han Solo yet and is someone completely unfamiliar to us and that is a fair point if we can expect to see this amazing character transformation throughout the film, i doubt it though. I normally hate reading the behind the scenes gossip with films but (in case you didnt know) they had to get an acting coach for him when they had pretty much finished principle photography and ended up going back and reshooting everything. That doesnt inspire me with confidence. I love Ron Howard and he has made some phenomenal films but he is going to have to have worked a miracle for this to turn out like you guys are hoping it will.
Old 09-04-2018, 22:48   #66
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

Anakin in Episode 1 is a bit different to Vader in 4,5,6, Rogue One
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 22:59   #67
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
They sure do but they also have a core personality that doesnt change. You could see it in Chris Pine in Star Trek but there isnt a hint of it here. If i cut him.out of that trailer and showed you the footage of him by himself would you identify him as Han Solo? You are probably going to say that the character hasnt developed into Han Solo yet and is someone completely unfamiliar to us and that is a fair point if we can expect to see this amazing character transformation throughout the film, i doubt it though. I normally hate reading the behind the scenes gossip with films but (in case you didnt know) they had to get an acting coach for him when they had pretty much finished principle photography and ended up going back and reshooting everything. That doesnt inspire me with confidence. I love Ron Howard and he has made some phenomenal films but he is going to have to have worked a miracle for this to turn out like you guys are hoping it will.
I'm not looking for a miracle. If it turns out to tell Solo's backstory in a good and fitting way then I'll be happy.

There was always more to Han Solo than came out in the previous episodic films.
Old 10-04-2018, 00:40   #68
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
Ron Howard chose to reshoot most of the movie as he was hired to direct and must not have liked the footage he saw. He has a style and a way of doing things.

I read an article that said the other guys would shoot many many takes of each scene and Howard prefers nor or two then moves on. However the script never changed in his version.

I know for a fact that 18 year old me is nothing like me now. Both in the way I behaved and even The way I talk or walk.so a different actor playing a young Han should be different but also still recognisable.

I feel this will be good, but only time will tell.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:23   #69
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I know for a fact that 18 year old me is nothing like me now.
that is probably why our opinions differ then. I am pretty much the same person now as I have been all my life. My tastes have not changed with regards to music and food etc and more importantly the way I think and view things. I got into science and biology at a very young age and I have always formed my opinions and made decisions based on facts and logic and because of that, decisions I made 25 years ago still stand today and what was right and wrong 25 years ago is still right and wrong today. Psychology does my nut in but you have raised an interesting point so if I have got the time tomorrow I am going to look this up and see which one of us is right because there are many examples in films and tv series of conflicted characters who end up meeting their fate and you get some quote from the good guy who finally catches up to them like "people don't change" and I am curious to know from a scientific point of view what is classed as your "core" or "base" personality and whether that ever changes.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:36   #70
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

I don't think it's a matter of "core" I think that basically remains more or less the same. I think that it's more how you express yourself, how you come over to other people.

Ford's iteration of Solo came across as being a bit cynical (or a lot) which I can relate to. I'm certainly more cynical than what I was 40yrs ago and that comes across in the way I act and present myself, I hope I don't present myself in a bad way to others. My "core" hasn't changed but my demeanor certainly has, that's what I was referring to with Solo.
Old 10-04-2018, 02:00   #71
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

I know I've grown as a person. I've experienced a lot and know it has changed me and the way I think about things and react to people. Tried a lot of food things I know I never would have when I was younger.

Of course a different younger actor is going to be different as they are a person playing a younger version of an established character but still need to have a few familiar traits to try and make us believe they are still that character. It has happened before to varying degrees of success.
Old 10-04-2018, 02:44   #72
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Can those traits be picked up from a trailer that is a cut of many scenes? I don't think so I also don't think it's a reason to say you're not watching the film.
Old 20-04-2018, 21:12   #73
General Maximus
Ran Away

god they must be desperate, I have just seen this whilst watching Sky News

Old 20-04-2018, 21:40   #74
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

That's not desperation. That's marketing. There are so many Star Wars tie in sponsored adverts and products. Duracell had adverts for TFA.
Old 21-04-2018, 12:35   #75
General Maximus
Ran Away

For the last 2 weeks I have been dying for the new issue of SFX to come through the letterbox. I was hoping the cover was going to be a massive cast photo for Infinity War as a tribute to such a fantastic universe, but no, this turned up instead: