Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Locked Rar archive

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Moving main PCs to the Loft : Looking for a Loftbox

Old 19-11-2006, 14:05   #1
The Jackal
Inactive

The Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appeal
The Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appeal
Moving main PCs to the Loft : Looking for a Loftbox

Was wondering if anyone had any ideas ?

House is finally tidied up (more like missus is pressing me to move back in).

I want to move all the power PCs up to the loft and want to buy something similar to half 19" rack size enclosures (except not necassarily rack mountable).

All I need is a simple enclosure wooden or with metal/plastic shelves that I can either build or is pre-made. Anyone have any recommendations if I can get anything from B&Q or IKEA something cheap n cheerful ?

As far as using the PCs are concerned they will be extended via CAT5 (I have the infrastructure and hardware already bought from earlier this year) so that all I have on my desk should be just a mouse/keyboard/monitor and maybe a few SFF
PC's hidden around the house.
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-11-2006, 14:08   #2
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Re: Moving main PCs to the Loft : Looking for a Loftbox

Whats the loft enviroment like for dust, damp air etc?
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2006, 14:10   #3
The Jackal
Inactive

The Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appealThe Jackal has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Whats the loft enviroment like for dust, damp air etc?
I would say winter is ideal it's kinda cold average humidity and dust

Summer it's boiling hot up there....

I think for the winter I can get away with just having the PC's covered but wil have to think of a better solution in the summer (maybe move them all to the shed in the garden).
Old 19-11-2006, 14:17   #4
superbiatch
Inactive

Services: Sky+, Sky Broadband and Talk
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to superbiatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrC-3rr0r View Post
I would say winter is ideal it's kinda cold average humidity and dust

Summer it's boiling hot up there....

I think for the winter I can get away with just having the PC's covered but wil have to think of a better solution in the summer (maybe move them all to the shed in the garden).
We have our stand alone pc in the loft as thats where the modem is located (we also have laptops which we use wirelessly throughout the house). The stand alone pc in loft gets extremely hot and requires a fan on it all thru the summer. Its not too dusty, as it is converted - but the heat can be quite stifling. Have you got a window in there?
superbiatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2006, 14:23   #5
The Jackal
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbiatch View Post
We have our stand alone pc in the loft as thats where the modem is located (we also have laptops which we use wirelessly throughout the house). The stand alone pc in loft gets extremely hot and requires a fan on it all thru the summer. Its not too dusty, as it is converted - but the heat can be quite stifling. Have you got a window in there?
You're crazy if you're just letting it sit there exposed : I dont want to do this I need them to be covered
Old 19-11-2006, 14:35   #6
superbiatch
Inactive

Services: Sky+, Sky Broadband and Talk
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to superbiatch

Quote:
You're crazy if you're just letting it sit there exposed : I dont want to do this I need them to be covered
Its in the coolest part of the loft (away from the window), any suggestions what to cover it with?

Its only an old P3, but its a back up when you need it
superbiatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2006, 14:45   #7
Strzelecki
Inactive

Services: 80/20Mbps FTTC on Freeola
Strzelecki has reached the bronze age
Strzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze age

this the kind of thing? http://www.minitran.co.uk/pages/prod...facturer=Mini5
the mini5 stuff is quite good.
Strzelecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2006, 14:47   #8
The Jackal
Inactive

I'm thinking of buying a few of these cheapos and cover them with a DIY dust sheet or maybe a canvas cover:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...2Bshelving.htm

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...2Bshelving.htm
(height between shelves looks like only being 30cm which might not be good enough)

---------- Post added at 14:47 ---------- Previous post was at 14:45 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strzelecki View Post
this the kind of thing? http://www.minitran.co.uk/pages/prod...facturer=Mini5
the mini5 stuff is quite good.
Yeh I know as I said I dont want a cab : I would need a full size rack ! and they are bl**y heavy n expensive unless u shop around on ebay
Old 19-11-2006, 14:50   #9
Strzelecki
Inactive

Services: 80/20Mbps FTTC on Freeola
Strzelecki has reached the bronze age
Strzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze age

Ok fine, you might like to look around the rest of the site that is all and see if they do anything else?
Strzelecki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2006, 16:41   #10
The Jackal
Inactive

Just picked up a simple plastic shelving unit from wickes along with a dust sheet £15 the lot.... No point investing in a cab as the environment is not really suited for it.

Should fit at least 4 midi sized pcs just checked the width and it's perfect midi size.

Was looking at building my own wall mount shelving but not sure how to enclose the whole thing I'll have to look around for materials

---------- Post added at 16:41 ---------- Previous post was at 16:36 ----------

Right I'm off to wire up the loft to the central patch panel theres 8 cat5/6 cables up there just need to work out which is which grrrrrrrrr
Old 21-11-2006, 11:37   #11
markknell
Inactive

markknell is on a distinguished roadmarkknell is on a distinguished road

I have a patch panel in my loft along with a switch with internal fan and sometimes I wonder how that survives most of the time. I would never put a PC or server in the loft. Even on a winters day it *could* get very warm up there if the Sun is out. Just my 2p thought.

You could always just buy a very good spec box and run VM's

Quote:
Just picked up a simple plastic shelving unit from wickes along with a dust sheet £15 the lot.... No point investing in a cab as the environment is not really suited for it.

Should fit at least 4 midi sized pcs just checked the width and it's perfect midi size.

Was looking at building my own wall mount shelving but not sure how to enclose the whole thing I'll have to look around for materials

---------- Post added at 16:41 ---------- Previous post was at 16:36 ----------

Right I'm off to wire up the loft to the central patch panel theres 8 cat5/6 cables up there just need to work out which is which grrrrrrrrr
markknell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2006, 11:42   #12
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

Keep an eye out on ebay for 19" cabinets. Theres not a lot on at the moment but this looks ok. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rittal-11U-19-...QQcmdZViewItem

They normally have SH ones as well.
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote