Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Doctor Who : 2008 & 2009 Specials

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Doctor Who : 2008 & 2009 Specials

Old 30-10-2008, 09:57   #31
zing_deleted

re: Doctor Who : 2008 & 2009 Specials

Actually I was never enamoured with him in the role
Advertisement
Old 30-10-2008, 10:25   #32
sir_drinks_alot
Inactive

Services: WNYC
sir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze age
sir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze agesir_drinks_alot has reached the bronze age

how about Philip Glenister he's be great as the doctor !
sir_drinks_alot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 10:27   #33
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Fire up the Tardis!!!

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 10:28   #34
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

I think John Simm would have been brilliant, but he's pretty much burned his bridges now ...
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 10:39   #35
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Darker and more serious isn't going to happen - they're committed to the Saturday evening family audience. The new executive producer who will have to work with a new Doctor is Stephen Moffatt, who has written some brilliant stuff including 'Silence in the Library' last season. He knows how to scare the pants off the kids, but his stories are still pitched firmly at the family.
That's the problem Steven Moffatt faces. He will be in charge of a series that is supposed to be slightly scary, but still for Kids.

In fairness, it has often achieved that (particularly with Moffat's stories). I personally found "The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances" and "Blink" to be more scary than a lot of adult horror films, although that is probably because most of the modern ones (SAW etc) seem to rely on gore rather than a scary storyline.

Still, I do remember Clive Barker explaining how he was able to move to being apparently a successful children's author from writing horrors. He said that both require similar amounts of imagination, and much more imagination than most books.

BTW, I have created a thread for discussion of who people want to be the next doctor at http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/23...l#post34664802. I think discussing it in this thread might confuse things too much.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 11:34   #36
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quite. And it's worth pointing out that in The Doctor Dances, Blink and Forest of the Dead, the net result of the Doctor 'fixing' everything is that 'just for once, nobody dies!' (to quote the man himself in TDD).

Moffatt seems to like giving everyone a really good scare, but also to provide a traditional(ish) happy ending.
Old 30-10-2008, 11:41   #37
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I think John Simm would have been brilliant, but he's pretty much burned his bridges now ...
I don't know.....could that work? Is there an angle in that?

Bring back the Master in his new body to show he's no longer Simm then he escapes again.

When it's time for the Doctor to regenerate JS could then come in, and the initial angle could be as he's travelling around the universe he's under the prejudice that he is identical to his sworn enemy.

I think there could be something in that.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 11:43   #38
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

I don't doubt they could write their way around it if they wanted to. At least one Time Lord (actually a Lady) in the series has shown an ability to choose what her next regeneration looked like, and to base it on someone she had recently met.

I'm not sure they would want to do that though, as it might appear a bit convoluted. I bet they still want to write Master stories for John Simm as well.
Old 30-10-2008, 11:51   #39
Stuart
-

Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ B View Post
I don't know.....could that work? Is there an angle in that?

Bring back the Master in his new body to show he's no longer Simm then he escapes again.

When it's time for the Doctor to regenerate JS could then come in, and the initial angle could be as he's travelling around the universe he's under the prejudice that he is identical to his sworn enemy.

I think there could be something in that.
True, and they've already shown on a couple of occasions that Time Lords can influence how their regenerations go. Destiny of the Daleks starts with Romana II (played by Lalla Ward) "trying on" different bodies while regenerating (including her final form which is actually a copy of a Princess introduced in the previous story). The Master was able to steal the body of Nyssa's dad in Keeper of Traken and of course, DT was able use his own regeneration to repair the damage done to his body by a Dalek, but not change appearance.
Old 30-10-2008, 11:53   #40
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

The Master's transformation at the end of Keeper of Traken was of a somewhat different nature. He had used all his regenerations but wished to use the power of the Source to enable him to hijack someone else's body - which he did, when he took over Consul Tremas (the clue's in the name, if you like anagrams ).
Old 30-10-2008, 12:00   #41
Stuart
-

True. Actually, I realised that after I posted..

Never knew Romana had influenced her own regeneration until Destiny though.
Old 30-10-2008, 12:08   #42
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ B View Post
And as I type this the 'giggly assistant' on my local radio breakfast show has suggested who she thinks would be a great Doctor Who - "that man who does the voice-overs on Little Britain"
really!!!! hahaha that girl has brains lol.
Old 30-10-2008, 12:10   #43
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Well I hope it gets better, I'd rather they axed it if it starts to get stale. But I doubt they will while it's making loads of cash.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 13:07   #44
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

What about Catherine Tate as the next Dr. They could think of some way of him jumping into her body.
Old 30-10-2008, 13:10   #45
Stuart
-

Or Sally Sparrow.. (see the 3rd season episode, Blink).