Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Doctor Who : 2008 & 2009 Specials

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television

Doctor Who : 2008 & 2009 Specials

Old 02-01-2010, 16:23   #256
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: Doctor Who : 2008 & 2009 Specials

So did the women give Will the gun to shoot himself in the cabin or?
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2010, 16:58   #257
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Whiskey View Post
Anyone for a spin off series, Mr & Mrs Smith starring Martha & Micky? (instead of Angelina & Brad).
I thought Martha and Mickey were to be a part of the next Torchwood team?

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 17:25   #258
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0id View Post
I thought Martha and Mickey were to be a part of the next Torchwood team?
That may be exactly what they were doing when they appeared last night ...
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 19:06   #259
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

I just saw it and thought it was ok. A fitting end. It would have made a fitting end to the series too, ah well.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 19:50   #260
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldova View Post
They never want to die and most have said something onlong similar lines over the years.
I believe Tom Baker has recently said he wouldn't mind coming back if asked.. Admittedly, he may be a bit old now.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 20:57   #261
Flyboy
Inactive

Flyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful one

My first thought that the woman was the Watcher, who has a propensity to turn up when the Doctor re-generates, or even the White Guardian, but observing the Doctor's re-action when she uncovered her face, he appeared to have a familial concern about her, or at least someone to whom he felt close to. I thought that she might be his mother and the make figure (yet to be revealed) was his father. I like the idea that she might be an older Donna, taking the role of an "honorary" Timelord, due to the meta-crisis, but that would not work with the concept of the time lock. The Doctor would have been aware of her presence at the time of the war.

I most of all like the idea that it might have been Romana, from I can remember, she secured a seat in the high council and subsequently was elected President (or was that a YouTube ep?). If I am wrong, she is still in "N" space and therefore not involved at all.
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 21:33   #262
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
My first thought that the woman was the Watcher, who has a propensity to turn up when the Doctor re-generates, or even the White Guardian, but observing the Doctor's re-action when she uncovered her face, he appeared to have a familial concern about her, or at least someone to whom he felt close to. I thought that she might be his mother and the make figure (yet to be revealed) was his father. I like the idea that she might be an older Donna, taking the role of an "honorary" Timelord, due to the meta-crisis, but that would not work with the concept of the time lock. The Doctor would have been aware of her presence at the time of the war.

I most of all like the idea that it might have been Romana, from I can remember, she secured a seat in the high council and subsequently was elected President (or was that a YouTube ep?). If I am wrong, she is still in "N" space and therefore not involved at all.
Mark Lawson, reviewing this episode in the Grauniad, points to a number of parallels between it and Hamlet, which both David Tennant and Claire Bloom (who played the woman) have appeared in recently. Tennant of course played Hamlet. Claire Bloom played Hamlet's mother. It's quite fascinating and worth a read:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-rad...who-regenerate

Actually, the comments beneath the article are even more of an eye-opener, there are some real nutcases touring the interwebs right now, variously whingeing about RTD 'ruining' Doctor Who (and conveniently forgetting that about 10 million people disagree), or getting very precious when non-fans like Mark Lawson dare to make definitive statements about the mystery woman's identity, when those statements contradict their own pet theories - theories that are invariably nothing more than highly convoluted FW.

I think Russell T Davies has steered a very careful and clever path through the show's backstory, using elements that suit his own storylines without being forced, droping throwaway references in for the fans to enjoy, and always keeping well clear of the arcane. For example, he likes to re-use concepts like Artron energy soaking the body of a time traveller, but not in a way that requires you to have seen and understood The Deadly Assassin or Four to Doomsday.

On the subject of Romana ... in TV canon (the only one that counts IMO) she is still in e-space, with K9 and some Tharil bloke. Acording to some original novels and audio dramas, she returned to normal space and became president of the Time Lords on Gallifrey. RTD only seemed to validate non-TV adventures as Canon if he chose deliberately to bring them into the TV realm, for example by having The Moff re-work Sally Sparrow's adventures from a Dr Who annual into Blink, or by re-telling Human Nature, which was created as a 7th Doctor original novel. Given RTD's record in this department I think it imposibly unlikely that he intended the character to be someone who is utterly obscure to fans of the new series. He wouldn't have just thrown it in there because it would have demanded too much explanation.
Old 02-01-2010, 21:51   #263
deadite66
cf.geek

Services: Zen Fibre, Asus RT-AC68U
deadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these partsdeadite66 is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
whingeing about RTD 'ruining' Doctor Who (and conveniently forgetting that about 10 million people disagree)
over 2 million people read the dailymail, despite their best efforts people keep voting for labour and the conservatives.
in my length of time here on this planet i've concluded that most people are idiots.
deadite66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 21:56   #264
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

wassatyousay?

The Daily Heil has been reluctantly nuLab since the mid 1990s and has progresively turned to frothing hard right over the last 4-5 years. And it has a loyal following of 2 million because those are the same people who like to hear what it has to say. Love it or hate it, the Mail is extremely good at what it does.

Just as RTD has been extremely good at his job.
Old 02-01-2010, 21:58   #265
Flyboy
Inactive

Flyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful oneFlyboy is the helpful one

Which makes me think that it could be any of the above. Parental relationships are easy to explain to the new crop of fans, but harder for fans of the Doctor for the last forty years, from what I can remember there wasn't much reference to them in the old series. The Gaurdian and Watcher would be easy to explain to new fans as well as part of canon. They were explained before and can be explained again.
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:27   #266
soup dragon
Inactive

Services: XL BB, XL TV, V+
soup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of societysoup dragon is a pillar of society

i've not read the guardian link cos it's 01:25 but i thought it was his mother and the other figure with his hands over his face was his father. they were the 2 votes against the action the timelords took because they knew that what they would do would kill their son.
soup dragon is offline   Reply With Quote