Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] Promote your own website

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Internet Discussion

[Merged] Promote your own website

Old 06-08-2007, 17:13   #766
ikthius
Inactive

Services: anything for a new job
ikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronze
ikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronze
Re: [Merged] Promote your own website

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyman View Post
If I had to critises it would be your html coding. It is a mixture of upper and lower case. If you dropped it into lower case and used css instead of tables it would be very simple to redesign.
hehe, I know what you mean, but I use editplus2 and that highlights all the code, so it does not bother me that much, as editplus2 does not bother whether it is all upper or lowercase, in fact it could be a mixture of both, it still does not care.

but I do know what you mean

ik
ikthius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-08-2007, 17:32   #767
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
It is a mixture of upper and lower case. If you dropped it into lower case
Now THAT's just being picky

Quote:
and used css instead of tables it would be very simple to redesign.

I fancy myself as somewhat of a decent web designer and I always use tables where tables work, CSS positional stuff can be nasty with cross browser compatibility being a big issue!
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 17:43   #768
ikthius
Inactive

ikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronze
ikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronzeikthius is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph
thATS what I WAs thiKINg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph
I fancy myself as somewhat of a decent web designer and I always use tables where tables work, CSS positional stuff can be nasty with cross browser compatibility being a big issue!
I tried the positioning for ages, it only worked for both with tables, so I used em

ik
Old 06-08-2007, 18:15   #769
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
Not really, xhtml compliant code is lowercase
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 19:21   #770
Graham M
-

Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_love_monkey View Post
Not really, xhtml compliant code is lowercase
Perhaps he doesn't want his website to be XHTML (which should be in upper case) compliant
Old 06-08-2007, 21:06   #771
ikthius
Inactive

ok for the purists......

I fixed all my code to lowercase, took me ages

ik
Old 06-08-2007, 22:56   #772
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Positioning can be tricky with css but it is possible to pull off and it is good it have css only sites. The only problem I have had with different browsers is that IE 6 has crap support for alpha layers in png files. But with MS forcing IE 7 onto so many computers it should be fine.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 07:20   #773
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

It is easy enough to get stuff to position correctly although I always seem to have a few issues with Safari which is supposed to be 100% standards compliant.

Well done on changing the code IK whilst is is a way to xhtml it's more for neatness. If I was being completly anal I would have suggested code indentation :S lol
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 12:12   #774
ikthius
Inactive

Quote:
It is easy enough to get stuff to position correctly although I always seem to have a few issues with Safari which is supposed to be 100% standards compliant.

Well done on changing the code IK whilst is is a way to xhtml it's more for neatness. If I was being completly anal I would have suggested code indentation :S lol
I mostly do code indentation, its easier to read, but at lease I know my code.

one other thing about the case of code.....

the doctype had to be in uppercase to be valid HTML!!! using the http://validator.w3.org

but keeping this line as it is, the rest of my code is valid HTML 4.0, with the exception of 2 links that are for multimaps, and the embeded videos, other than the links they give out, its all valid.

oh and my CSS passes with the exception of the body, as I have changed the scrollbar, and I knew that would not pass. pity all browsers not support this feature, hehe

I was going to use the wee image on my site, but not sure who actually really likes seeing them
ik
Old 13-08-2007, 12:27   #775
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

ok, I think I might list my ones

This is my interaction design site:

Interaction Design

Just a Uni Project, had to research technology and such.

Visual Communication

Again, A Uni Project about art and such. I prefer making the sites than the writing.

and a flash portfolio which I have linked to before:

Christine Almond Portfolio

I have pages taking, briefly, about each of these here:
Damien O'Neill

Should be adding a PHP/MySQL site soon and a ASP site. So any recommendations on those before I start would be cool, including what kind of site would be good to make using these (doing it to learn)
Old 13-08-2007, 13:38   #776
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Should be adding a PHP/MySQL site soon and a ASP site. So any recommendations on those before I start would be cool, including what kind of site would be good to make using these (doing it to learn)
I'm doing an online christmas list for my php/mysql learning.
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2007, 13:51   #777
Graham M
-

PHP & MySQL is a great combination, I'm starting to dabble in Ajax at the moment which is also a brilliant technology!
Old 13-08-2007, 13:52   #778
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Ajax is the above + Javascript isnt it? Does it have its own frameworks/librarys?
Old 13-08-2007, 23:30   #779
AntiSilence
Inactive

Services: C#/ASP.NET Web Development
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Ajax is the above + Javascript isnt it? Does it have its own frameworks/librarys?
AJAX is Asynchronous Javascript and XML and is used to create nice interactive web applications. A simple implementation could be to update certain areas of a page without doing a page refresh/postback etc.
AntiSilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2007, 00:03   #780
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Well, Thats what I mean. Does AJAX actually contain anything new or is it simply a new name for a certain combination of existing tech?