Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Merged] Promote your own website

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Internet Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Merged] Promote your own website

Old 05-06-2007, 09:23   #736
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman
Re: [Merged] Promote your own website

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefferson T View Post
Yes I know it's poo - but still I have to start somewhere

http://www.dilli-theclaw.com
Looking good dilli, If you want a free 'no ads' hosting account I can spare you some space.

---------- Post added at 09:23 ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimt View Post
www.uploadz.co.uk I run it with a guy. Very good uploading site.

Looms good but when the window is smaller the 'now 50mb' star covers the upload area. Can you not float the input box's to the right using css?
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-06-2007, 00:02   #737
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyman View Post
Looking good dilli, If you want a free 'no ads' hosting account I can spare you some space.
Sounds cool - not too sure how to do that

I've had another play and clean up of it today.... And yes I will be looking at css soon enought
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 12:30   #738
handyman
Permanently Banned

handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star

Just completed this site: www.branthowe.co.uk

Nothing too fancy, still table based but some of the elements are positioned with css (gallery images). Fonts and size were requested by business owner.

Overall quite pleased with it since I'm now writing all sites in notepad from scratch. Its html transitional and css compliant and is accessible level A..
Next site in development will be entirely positioned with advanced css.

Dilli, email me : mark @ mlweb dot co dot uk and I'll hook you u with some space. Dunno about forwarding your name across but it should be just a case of changing the name servers.

You will have full ftp acccess etc which since you run your own ftp server should be a breeze.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:43   #739
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Nothing wrong with a table layout mate, I always say, if it can be done with tables, do it with tables! Not all browsers fully support CSS yet so if you want it to look the same for everyone tables is the way to go imo.
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 13:07   #740
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
Nothing wrong with a table layout mate, I always say, if it can be done with tables, do it with tables! Not all browsers fully support CSS yet so if you want it to look the same for everyone tables is the way to go imo.
All modern browsers support CSS, Its best to use it when you can. Cleaner, easier to maintain, reduces loading times (albeit not much of a problem anymore).
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 13:16   #741
handyman
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeph View Post
The problem with using tables is that you have to include the presentation data with every page so in the future if you want to move bits about you need to alter each page. With css you only need to edit the one file to totally change the look of the site. I sure you've probably seen it but take a look at css zen garden (google it)
Old 02-07-2007, 15:38   #742
TheCrow
Inactive

Services: NTL BB 2mb NTL Phone NTL Family Pack TV
TheCrow is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to TheCrow Send a message via Yahoo to TheCrow
Re: My Website.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrow View Post
Thought i would let everyone know about my forums

www.geekyforums.co.uk

I had a play about with the guide on here about running my own web server, which i tried and had great fun. But unfortunately my 10mb virgin connection is not realiable to have as a server.

So i bought some webspace and the domain and the rest is history.

The hosting cost me £22 for a years hosting with 400mb webspace and unlimited traffic.

And the domain cost me £6 for two years.

All in all a bargain and i had great fun! But enough of that! Get signed up people and help the geekyforums.co.uk
Back online people!
TheCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 15:51   #743
tarrant_ino
Inactive

tarrant_ino is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone that is interested in a bit of Live Drum & Bass

www.bodymovingradio.com
www.bmradio.co.uk

Live UK Drum & Bass Radio Every Wednesday & Sunday from 7-10 PM UK TIME

Body Moving Radio is dedicated to bringing new Drum & Bass talent to the scene . Check us out

Forums
Chat room ( Java & IRC )
Downloads section ( Radio Back Sets )
Shoutbox
& More
tarrant_ino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2007, 13:04   #744
GPR
Inactive

GPR is an unknown quantity at this point

Please could someone help.I am trying to build a website with the free 55meg.
I am using dreamweaver and cuteftp, when I enter my username and password into cuteftp and it trys to connect I get this

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

I have entered the following.

FTP Server: upload.ntlworld.com
User Name: your username
Password: your password

But still get the above error message.
GPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2007, 14:31   #745
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPR View Post
Please could someone help.I am trying to build a website with the free 55meg.
I am using dreamweaver and cuteftp, when I enter my username and password into cuteftp and it trys to connect I get this

I have entered the following.

FTP Server: upload.ntlworld.com
User Name: your username
Password: your password

But still get the above error message.
Hi

the server address is correct

your user name should be your main email address you set up when registering your account, but without the '@ntlworld' suffix

The password should be the original one you set up when registering, i.e. letter & 9 numbers - this is the usual cause of problems, as people change their e-mail password, but the webspace still expects the old one.

If that is the case & you can't remember the original, you will have to contact Technical Support & they will reset it for you.

Old 22-07-2007, 00:53   #746
myblueocean
Inactive

myblueocean is an unknown quantity at this point

http://oceanclips.tripod.com

3D animation.
myblueocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2007, 13:53   #747
lauzjp
Inactive

Services: 5mb 3 mobile broadband, sky, freeview
lauzjp is cast in bronzelauzjp is cast in bronzelauzjp is cast in bronzelauzjp is cast in bronze
lauzjp is cast in bronzelauzjp is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to lauzjp

http://lauzjp.googlepages.com/home that was so much easier than fiddling about with the ntl space again!

Thank You webuser magazine
lauzjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2007, 14:21   #748
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

lauzjp, in case you aren't already aware of it, download picasa and you will be able host images from your wedding online via your google account. Easy to do and the software deals with the upload and resizing so you don't have to
http://picasa.google.com/
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2007, 14:49   #749
lauzjp
Inactive

Services: 5mb 3 mobile broadband, sky, freeview
lauzjp is cast in bronzelauzjp is cast in bronzelauzjp is cast in bronzelauzjp is cast in bronze
lauzjp is cast in bronzelauzjp is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to lauzjp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
lauzjp, in case you aren't already aware of it, download picasa and you will be able host images from your wedding online via your google account. Easy to do and the software deals with the upload and resizing so you don't have to
ooh, cool! ta.
lauzjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2007, 14:55   #750
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Absolutely, Picasa is great & dead easy to link to from a Google Pages website

http://gazfan.googlepages.com/home