Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Some channels pixelating

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Some channels pixelating

Old 09-02-2019, 19:53   #1
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Some channels pixelating

One of our recordings appeared corrupted a week or so ago, but when I viewed the actual channel, I found that it was the channel, not the recording, that was the problem. I re-booted and that solved it. However, I now have that same problem on certain other channels. Re-booting has not helped but tomorrow I will re-boot everything including the super-hub.

If this doesn't work, does anyone know what might be wrong? The V6 upstairs picks up the channels fine. Just hoping it's not the box, I have a lot of recordings and bookmarks on there!

No problems in my area apparently and the VM site indicates no problem with either box. Maybe the full reboot will solve it, but a bit worried now that this problem will get worse!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-02-2019, 20:59   #2
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Some channels pixelating

It's likely to be a signal fault. Make sure all the connectors are tight. If that doesn't fix it, ring VM.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 22:07   #3
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
It's likely to be a signal fault. Make sure all the connectors are tight. If that doesn't fix it, ring VM.
Thanks, spiderplant, I will do that.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:50   #4
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

I have now re-booted the router, TVs and both V6s. Annoyingly, the problem of pixelation on some channels is still occurring on my lounge STB.

I have carried out a diagnostic test and the signal on both boxes is described as 'very good'.However a port configuration test has failed. The information I am getting on the V6s is as follows:

'The ports listed below need to be opened on your router.

TCP port 80
TCP port 8080
TCP port 80
TCP port 7287
TCP port 7288
TCP port 8081'

I have no idea what that means, but if it is a router issue, at least I know it's not my V6, as I would lose all my recordings if it needed replacing.

Any thoughts on how I go about fixing this or does this require a call to Customer Services?
Old 12-02-2019, 10:09   #5
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

It'll be a signal issue is my guess, i had the same problem last year as i was getting 10 HD channels that were pixelating.

The engineer that came out checked everything over and booked me a repull which fixed it, i was a bit pissed off as i had already had a repull the year before but apparently it hadnt been taken all the way to the cabinet as they had run out of cable!

If you don't want to make a call you could create a post on the VM forum and someone will get back to you in about a week after checking your levels and they will likely give you a choice of when the engineer will come, but if it needs a repull it'll take a while longer after the visit.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:22   #6
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

I believe the pixelation is a national problem, seems like a lot of people were complaining about it on the community forums. Worth ringing it in though.

The diagnostic test fails for everyone I believe so it won't be that and I doubt that it would cause pixelation anyway.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:26   #7
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

If the box upstairs works then i guess you don't need a repull.

I would swap the boxes over and see if that fixes the issue in that location, then you know it is the cabling or the wifi signal to the upstairs box that is the issue.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:36   #8
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

It's normal for the port test to fail, so ignore that. Did you check the tightness of the connectors? If it's not that, you'll need a tech to fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
I believe the pixelation is a national problem, seems like a lot of people were complaining about it on the community forums
Pixelation is the commonest fault on cable TV, so it's normal for many people to report it. In general they are unrelated cases.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 12:07   #9
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
It's normal for the port test to fail, so ignore that. Did you check the tightness of the connectors? If it's not that, you'll need a tech to fix it.

Pixelation is the commonest fault on cable TV, so it's normal for many people to report it. In general they are unrelated cases.
Thanks, Spiderplant. Yes, I have checked the connectors, they all seem fine.

I guess it's a call to Customer Services after all!

---------- Post added at 11:07 ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 ----------

Thanks, Snoop and Mythica. As long as I don't have to get a replacement box, I shall be happy!
Old 12-02-2019, 12:11   #10
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Thanks, Spiderplant. Yes, I have checked the connectors, they all seem fine.

I guess it's a call to Customer Services after all!

---------- Post added at 11:07 ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 ----------

Thanks, Snoop and Mythica. As long as I don't have to get a replacement box, I shall be happy!
Did you swap the boxes that should tell you if it is the box or not?
Old 12-02-2019, 12:44   #11
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
If the box upstairs works then i guess you don't need a repull.

I would swap the boxes over and see if that fixes the issue in that location, then you know it is the cabling or the wifi signal to the upstairs box that is the issue.
I had a similar problem just after I moved to virgin. An engineer moved me up the connection ladder as he said I didn't have a strong enough signal for 2 V6 boxes and super fast broadband.

Why everyone doesn't get the same amount is beyond me.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 12:52   #12
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
I had a similar problem just after I moved to virgin. An engineer moved me up the connection ladder as he said I didn't have a strong enough signal for 2 V6 boxes and super fast broadband.

Why everyone doesn't get the same amount is beyond me.
It's to do with the distance to the cabinet, if like me you're along way from the cabinet then you need to be on the top tap as the signal reduces with distance and possibly the thickest cable they can supply, but if you're close to the cabinet you don't need as strong a signal.

Too strong signal is bad.
Too weak signal is bad.
Old 12-02-2019, 14:09   #13
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:

I believe people were reporting the faullt on the same channels. Whether it's related to this or not I don't know.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 14:22   #14
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
You can't have that much recorded considering you said the linear channels have very little worth watching.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 14:26   #15
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
You can't have that much recorded considering you said the linear channels have very little worth watching.

No, his technophobe wife fills it with her recordings😳
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote