Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Linear is old tech - on demand is the future
Closed Thread

Old 20-05-2019, 17:07   #811
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post

He could list 20 , 30 or 40 shows to you but you would still be in denial.
Except he didn't, and he can't.

I, however, can give you a huge list of stuff on Netflix at a fraction of the price Sky charges.
Advertisement
Old 20-05-2019, 17:10   #812
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Where did I say there were no quality programmes on linear TV? You twist everything I say. If you look back just a few posts ago, I gave examples of quality on linear TV - Victoria, Line of Duty and Bodyguard. I said there was a diminishing amount of it on pay tv.

It is clear to me and many others that there are plenty of quality shows on streaming services. These are on the increase, while linear TV shows (with the notable exception of BBC and ITV, whose shows will soon be on Britbox) are declining.

Whether you like it or not, I'm just pointing out what's happening, not whether it is good or bad.

---------- Post added at 16:47 ---------- Previous post was at 16:37 ----------

Chernobyl, Blue Bloods and Riviera are all Sky Atlantic programmes, not available on VM (yet). Modern Family and Arrow appeal to a certain audience - no-one I know watches them. I think these are aimed at a much younger audience.

I haven't watched The Rookie or SEALTeam yet so I can't pass judgement on them, but really, is that the best we can come up with? Do you really think those few shows are worth over 50 quid a month? Look what you get on Netflix for a tenner! There's no comparison.
Quote:
Except he didn't, and he can't.

I, however, can give you a huge list of stuff on Netflix at a fraction of the price Sky charges.
Go ahead do enlighten us with your list.
Old 20-05-2019, 17:15   #813
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Its the downbeat view of prominent analysts unless you think they are talking rubbish.

---------- Post added at 17:06 ---------- Previous post was at 17:04 ----------

Why are people going to subscribe to Britbox when a lot of the content has already been shown and seen plus many of their shows they don't even own the rights to.
I would appreciate a link to that, Den. I don't recollect such assessments being made - maybe I missed that.

As for why people would subscribe to Britbox, it's for the same reason so many people love the UKTV channels. Plus, there will be archive material on there that is not currently available, plus they will have original content. It will also give viewers more time to watch recent series as the i-Player is really a catch-up service. It is very easy to fall behind with series on there.
Old 20-05-2019, 17:36   #814
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
I would appreciate a link to that, Den. I don't recollect such assessments being made - maybe I missed that.

As for why people would subscribe to Britbox, it's for the same reason so many people love the UKTV channels. Plus, there will be archive material on there that is not currently available, plus they will have original content. It will also give viewers more time to watch recent series as the i-Player is really a catch-up service. It is very easy to fall behind with series on there.
Here are a few links for you.

https://www.ibc.org/delivery/britbox...e/3742.article

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...ll-surely-bomb

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/b...rime-zvplzqw5g

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paularm.../#6959510e8bb9
Old 20-05-2019, 17:57   #815
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Not one of those links says its doomed before it starts unless it was the paywalled Times.

Quote:
Whatever happens, and no matter how great the difficulties, broadcasters such as the BBC and ITV have to enter the stream with Britbox. It is the way the flow of the industry is going, and cannot be ignored.
Old 20-05-2019, 19:51   #816
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Thank you, Den. Out of those articles, only The Guardian carries an entirely negative view of the likelihood of success for Britbox. The others draw attention to the fact that Britbox is a bit late on the scene, although its only SVOD competitors in the UK so far are Netflix, Amazon and Starzplay.

The assumption made is that Britbox will not result in content being taken back from Netflix by the BBC, but I think that remains to be seen. Even if it isn't, there's still a wealth of content that will be available. The shows immediately available from the BBC i-Player and the new originals will be attractive, without a doubt. ITV should have a fair bit of content to add to it as well.
Old 20-05-2019, 20:52   #817
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
He could list 20 , 30 or 40 shows to you but you would still be in denial.
Nah, not in a million years, Den!
Old 20-05-2019, 21:10   #818
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Wink Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Nah, not in a million years, Den!
Trust me Mad Max I'd have no problems could I actually be arsed to , it's amazing on here those that profess streaming is the holy grail of quality and yet still fork out for traditional pay TV every month many of them don't even watch Sport and claim the channels are full of dross.

Complete madness considering you can buy a streaming device for peanuts and a Freeview/Freesat recorder for a fraction of your years sub.

Last edited by muppetman11; 20-05-2019 at 21:29.
Old 20-05-2019, 21:45   #819
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:

Between them, the BBC and ITV own the rights to lots of shows, because they're theirs. There's many decades worth of material that can be remade and that's just stuff from the past, ranging from kids shows to costume dramas, let alone brand new stories.

As I see it, Britbox is the method that secures British "broadcasting" into the future and probably will keep ITV alive for a bit longer too as the service gets jointly funded by the Beeb and ITV with perhaps CH4 coming onboard too. And without digressing too far off the subject, I believe Britbox will eventually lead to the merger of ITV and CH4 and possibly even the BBC in the future, if the license fee is stopped.

Quote:
Thank you, Den. Out of those articles, only The Guardian carries an entirely negative view of the likelihood of success for Britbox. The others draw attention to the fact that Britbox is a bit late on the scene, although its only SVOD competitors in the UK so far are Netflix, Amazon and Starzplay.

The assumption made is that Britbox will not result in content being taken back from Netflix by the BBC, but I think that remains to be seen. Even if it isn't, there's still a wealth of content that will be available. The shows immediately available from the BBC i-Player and the new originals will be attractive, without a doubt. ITV should have a fair bit of content to add to it as well.
Britbox doesn't need to compete with Netflix.

Netflix is becoming the first real global tv service with original shows for many different countries. Britbox will exist to purely serve the English speaking world or those interested in UK shows. It will never make foreign language shows like Netflix is doing.

And the assumption that the BBC won't pull their stuff off Netflix is wrong. Firstly, as part of the breakup of UKTV, the BBC's factual content will be exclusively licensed to Discovery's global streaming app for ten years when it launches. (Edit: The rights are for outside the UK.)

And secondly, why would the BBC keep all their other material on Netflix, when they can make money out of the stuff directly on their own commercial streaming service?

Last edited by Horizon; 20-05-2019 at 23:25.
Old 21-05-2019, 09:53   #820
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Go ahead do enlighten us with your list.
Seriously? That would take ages.

I'll give you a taster.

TV series

The Crown
Spotless
Limitless
Gypsy
Mindhunter
Frontier
Glitch
Godless
Mars
Seven Seconds
Beyond
Weeds
Dark
3 Percent
Colony
Superstition
The Rain
13 Reasons Why
Jack Taylor
Safe
Queen of the South
Secret City
Salvation
The Method
Dark Tourist
Insatiable
The Innocents
Ozark
Power
Shooter
Making a Murderer
The Haunting of Hill House
Manhunt
The Sinner
Greenleaf.......and much more

Films
The Witch
10 Cloverfield Lane
The Revenant
What Happened to Monday
The Circle
Gerald's Game
Mudbound
Bright
Annihilation
Stratton
The Rachel Divide
The Ritual
Tau
Cargo
Calibre
Like Father
Jack Ryan
Jack Reacher
22 July
Operation Finale
Extinction
Close
Polar
Velvet Buzzsaw
IO
Triple Frontier
The Highwayman.......etc

I could never make a list of stuff I want to see like that from all the pay tv channels put together over the whole year. What I have set out is just a selection, and for less than a tenner a month.

Sky not only has less material but also far less choice.

---------- Post added at 09:53 ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 ----------

Quote:
Trust me Mad Max I'd have no problems could I actually be arsed to , it's amazing on here those that profess streaming is the holy grail of quality and yet still fork out for traditional pay TV every month many of them don't even watch Sport and claim the channels are full of dross.

Complete madness considering you can buy a streaming device for peanuts and a Freeview/Freesat recorder for a fraction of your years sub.
I only fork out for Sky stuff to complete the choice of content I want to see, but the time is approaching when I will give up on that unless there is something compelling to keep me on the Full House. The problem I have is bringing all the OTT services together on one box. VM is certainly moving in that direction - I just have to convince myself that it is worth paying so much for that privilege. If there was an option just to take OTT, terrestrial and/or premium services, I might just take the plunge.
Old 21-05-2019, 10:05   #821
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Thanks for posting that list you've only strengthened my point that linear TV is still a strong option being that a lot of those shows were originally aired on linear TV and the rights held by the likes of Comcast and Fox plus many others.
Old 21-05-2019, 11:08   #822
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Thanks for posting that list you've only strengthened my point that linear TV is still a strong option being that a lot of those shows were originally aired on linear TV and the rights held by the likes of Comcast and Fox plus many others.
The trouble with OB he tends to airbrush the things he does not like and keep the ones that fit his narrow agenda.
Old 21-05-2019, 11:24   #823
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
The trouble with OB he tends to airbrush the things he does not like and keep the ones that fit his narrow agenda.
He also likes unfair comparisons , he wants what's airing this week on a select few channels off you whilst quoting shows from years ago on his list despite both VM and Sky having extensive back catalogues of shows aired on linear TV.
Old 21-05-2019, 14:38   #824
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Some have been on linear TV it's true, but I missed them. My point is that they won't be on linear TV in the first place in future.

You've only got to look at the listings magazines to see that they are highlighting more programmes being shown on the streaming services than on the pay tv channels as good to watch.

Apart from the films, these are the highlights shown just next week:

Good Omens (Prime)
When They See Us (Netflix)
Gentleman Jack (BBC1)
Britain's Got Talent (ITV)
Black Monday (Sky Atlantic)
The Oath (My5)
Always Be My Maybe (Netflix)
The Perfection (Netflix)
Good Girls (Netflix)
Killer Ratings (Netflix)
Bad Blood (Netflix)
The Society (Netflix)
Wine Country (Netflix)
Traitors (All4)
The Wandering Earth (Netflix)
The Planets (BBC1)
Springwatch (BBC2)

Whereas not long ago, there were just one or two programmes from the streamers highlighted in TV & Satellite Week each week, just look at it now! There's not really very much worthwhile highlighting now on the TV channels. That is the trend and it points to the future direction of TV.
Old 21-05-2019, 14:53   #825
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Agreed, if that is his list from linear channels I can't believe he has time to watch any streaming content.
Closed Thread