Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Bulb energy supplier questions

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Bulb energy supplier questions

Old 26-04-2019, 22:36   #16
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Bulb energy supplier questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Why do that, when you can do it yourself for nothing? . They are also only likely to select from providers that pay them commission, not all do.
..because it takes time and effort to do it, and I feel I'd rather invest my free time elsewhere - not to mention that I regularly forget to do it - I always mean to, but other stuff trumps it.

They say they take no commission from the suppliers... and I feel that if I am paying them, then I may actually get impartial advice, as opposed to the comparison sites which are doing things for 'free'
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-06-2019, 14:30   #17
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

After nearly a month of being with Bulb they're saying my monthly usage is £79 for Electricity and Gas which i am very pleased about as Eon wanted to up my debits to £128 a month!

Obviously Gas usage will go up in the colder months but so far i am very pleased, also got £50 added to the account for switching and so did my parents.

I can't believe how simple it was to switch, if i had known i would have done this years ago.
Old 22-06-2019, 14:50   #18
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
After nearly a month of being with Bulb they're saying my monthly usage is £79 for Electricity and Gas which i am very pleased about as Eon wanted to up my debits to £128 a month!

Obviously Gas usage will go up in the colder months but so far i am very pleased, also got £50 added to the account for switching and so did my parents.

I can't believe how simple it was to switch, if i had known i would have done this years ago.
Do it every year, it rarely pays with the same supplier for more than a year. Plus of course you can usually get a bit of cashback for switching.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2019, 15:38   #19
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Do it every year, it rarely pays with the same supplier for more than a year. Plus of course you can usually get a bit of cashback for switching.
Yup. Always pays to watch out for exit penalties, although even these do not apply within 49 days of your contract ending.
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2019, 18:46   #20
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

So i have been with Bulb for around 5 months now and still paying £77 a month for Gas and Electricity and my credit balance is showing as £174.83 so i am extremely happy with that so far!

If i had still been with Eon i would be paying atleast £118 a month for both fuels, so i am paying £41 a month less with alot still in credit.

It pays to shop around people if you are someone like me who never considered changing supplier!
Old 14-11-2019, 18:51   #21
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
So i have been with Bulb for around 5 months now and still paying £77 a month for Gas and Electricity and my credit balance is showing as £174.83 so i am extremely happy with that so far!

If i had still been with Eon i would be paying atleast £118 a month for both fuels, so i am paying £41 a month less with alot still in credit.

It pays to shop around people if you are someone like me who never considered changing supplier!
I really wouldn't build up too much of a credit balance, it's not for your benefit. My current supplier, Symbio, only charges for actual use each month, which is a nice change.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2019, 18:53   #22
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
I really wouldn't build up too much of a credit balance, it's not for your benefit. My current supplier, Symbio, only charges for actual use each month, which is a nice change.
I will look into whether i can reduce the payments online, I'm paying £77.19 a month and energy usage is showing as £80 for November but this seems to change alot, sometimes alot lower strangely, i will give it a month or so to see how the gas usage hits the credit.
Old 14-11-2019, 18:56   #23
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze age
Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age

I've been with them for a year, was paying £102 a month, and have referred 2 people so made £100. My payments have been reduced to £83, currently sat with £350 in credit. Will cover me as I use more over the winter. Previously with British Gas and having been stung a few quarters with large bills I went on monthly and was paying for what I used which worked nicely but moving to Bulb changed that but still saved me a pretty penny.
Old 14-11-2019, 18:59   #24
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
I've been with them for a year, was paying £102 a month, and have referred 2 people so made £100. My payments have been reduced to £83, currently sat with £350 in credit. Will cover me as I use more over the winter. Previously with British Gas and having been stung a few quarters with large bills I went on monthly and was paying for what I used which worked nicely but moving to Bulb changed that but still saved me a pretty penny.
I would look into reducing your monthly payments too then.
Old 14-11-2019, 19:02   #25
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze age
Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age

I have just reduced but will be cracking heating up soon so will be using more. Don't mind been in a bit of credit saves having to worry about it over the winter then.
Old 14-11-2019, 19:07   #26
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

I've just reduced my payments down to £70 a month to see how that goes, everything is so easy to do on their site compared to Eons!
Old 14-11-2019, 20:30   #27
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
I've just reduced my payments down to £70 a month to see how that goes, everything is so easy to do on their site compared to Eons!

I moved from Eon as well, their prices were getting silly. I did consider Bulb but ended with Octopus who have a similarly good reputation. No exit fees and if you're in credit you can get some money refunded with a couple of clicks. Definitely worth considering moving away from the big boys.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2019, 11:32   #28
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads

I strongly recommend Octopus provided you are happy to do everything online and to send in your own monthly meter readings. Reduced my monthly gas/electricity payment to £60 and still in credit to get through what may well be a very cold winter.
oliver1948uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2019, 12:05   #29
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Orbit Energy dropped my Direct Debit by £22 per month. I contacted them and said that I had done my calculations, and needed to build up credit to pay the extra cost of the winter months. So they reversed the decrease. That's the whole point of Direct Debits, paying equal amounts each month over the year. Then refunding any excess, or increasing the monthly amount from then on.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote