Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UHD on Virgin Media

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

UHD on Virgin Media

Old 20-06-2018, 13:13   #706
awesometeeth
cf.addict

Services: vip
awesometeeth will become famous soon enoughawesometeeth will become famous soon enoughawesometeeth will become famous soon enough
Re: UHD on Virgin Media

Oh boy there are more of you.

Do you, honestly, think that people will be happier that our has hlg but they can't actually watch it?

You think BT people used to watching perfect 4k well on, week out, but can't watch the world cup properly, will care?

Your think sky people used to watching 4k for a long time but can't watch the world cup, will care?

Remind me again, why does an iPlayer trial mean they can't provide the streams to Virgin and sky as well?

The BBC really doesn't need friends like this.
awesometeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-06-2018, 13:52   #707
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesometeeth View Post

Do you, honestly, think that people will be happier that our has hlg but they can't actually watch it?

You think BT people used to watching perfect 4k well on, week out, but can't watch the world cup properly, will care?

Your think sky people used to watching 4k for a long time but can't watch the world cup, will care?

Remind me again, why does an iPlayer trial mean they can't provide the streams to Virgin and sky as well?

For me, the only negatives were the sound dropping and time lag...think it was nearly 90secs behind the HD channel.

These negatives are obviously impacted more because we are watching live sport, but I'm sure they will be ironed out.

The picture quality was great, my tv went straight into HLG mode, couldn't fault that at all. There is a vast improvement in quality over the HD pictures.

If the Planet Earth 2 demo shows what they can do, I'm looking forward to non-live UHD content via the iPlayer which doesn't have the same technological constraints. It will be out of this world.
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 15:20   #708
fenman35
cf.member

fenman35 is on a distinguished roadfenman35 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Sky 4K is not even 'full fat' UHD let alone HDR and HLG its best described as Uhd 'lite'. It uses the old colourspace Rec 709 and not 2020.

I also seem to remember missing F1 UHD recordings for about a month whilst Sky struggled to get their system working correctly
fenman35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 16:43   #709
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj View Post
For me, the only negatives were the sound dropping and time lag...think it was nearly 90secs behind the HD channel.

These negatives are obviously impacted more because we are watching live sport, but I'm sure they will be ironed out.

The picture quality was great, my tv went straight into HLG mode, couldn't fault that at all. There is a vast improvement in quality over the HD pictures.

If the Planet Earth 2 demo shows what they can do, I'm looking forward to non-live UHD content via the iPlayer which doesn't have the same technological constraints. It will be out of this world.
Exactly my point, BBC should have trial led this before hand. Plenty of content they could have used if they wanted to.

Drop-outs, buffering just isn't acceptable.

Defending them is crazy, if they had to be commercial they would have gone under years ago.

If they have to make things available to all how come they chose to do it via a method that relies on a very high BB speed - hardly inclusive is it.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 17:11   #710
awesometeeth
cf.addict

awesometeeth will become famous soon enoughawesometeeth will become famous soon enoughawesometeeth will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenman35 View Post
Sky 4K is not even 'full fat' UHD let alone HDR and HLG its best described as Uhd 'lite'. It uses the old colourspace Rec 709 and not 2020.

I also seem to remember missing F1 UHD recordings for about a month whilst Sky struggled to get their system working correctly

This will be of great comfort to those who can't view the BBC 4k feed.

---------- Post added at 17:11 ---------- Previous post was at 17:10 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Exactly my point, BBC should have trial led this before hand. Plenty of content they could have used if they wanted to.

Defending them is crazy, if they had to be commercial they would have gone under years ago.

If they have to make things available to all how come they chose to do it via a method that relies on a very high BB speed - hardly inclusive is it.

The sad thing, they actually think they are helping the BBC...
Old 20-06-2018, 17:13   #711
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

I'm not defending them, but what could they have done trials on before this world cup? They don't really have any live sporting rights.

I haven't been able to watch a whole game in UHD because either a message on my phone telling me someone has scored or the buffering/audio drop outs. From the footage I have watched, it does look brilliant.

Having VM has only given me access to 1 football game in UHD (champions league final) and the tennis. Both looked really good, but maybe the BBC HLG looks even better. Hard to compare having watched them a month apart.

The BBC will come into its own when they start showing the stuff the are known for worldwide - that is not sport, but ground-breaking natural history documentaries and gritty dramas. When these are shown in UHD via iPlayer at the same time as on the HD channel without the audio dropping (lag won't be too much of an issue), we will see what their technology has to offer.

Yes Sky have lots in UHD already, but they are so much richer and bigger than the BBC.

Also, I don't think you can blame the BBC for most of the UK not having good enough BB speeds, we are just lucky with VM.

Last edited by Ultimate.Conj; 20-06-2018 at 17:22.
Old 20-06-2018, 17:37   #712
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
The BBC literally tested a 'full scale' live HLG workflow for the first time at the Royal Wedding last month, so no there wasn't lots of content before the World Cup they could have used.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/blog/2018-0...edding-uhd-hdr

Last edited by BenMcr; 20-06-2018 at 17:44.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 18:35   #713
awesometeeth
cf.addict

Can someone, anyone, explain why the iPlayer hlg means that it couldn't have ALSO have been transmitted via other platforms.

I mean, if you think it's so great, why on earth don't you want as many people as possible to view it?
Old 20-06-2018, 18:44   #714
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

It isn't being transmitted on any platform - not even VirginMedia.

iPlayer is a streaming service using your Internet which some Smart TV's and some connected products (like the V6 TiVo and the Roku+ stick) can access.

Sky doesn't have a streaming iPlayer service at all and does not currently support HDR - so is a non-starter.

It also requires a steady internet stream of approaching 40Mpbs - which rules out a lot of others.

HLG is a version of HDR which can be used on live events which also does not require different versions for different devices if they are not HDR.
Quote:
Can someone, anyone, explain why the iPlayer hlg means that it couldn't have ALSO have been transmitted via other platforms.

I mean, if you think it's so great, why on earth don't you want as many people as possible to view it?
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2018, 19:02   #715
awesometeeth
cf.addict

I don't know what motivated that reply
Old 20-06-2018, 19:06   #716
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

I thought it was an informative reply that answered your question
Old 20-06-2018, 19:07   #717
awesometeeth
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj View Post
I thought it was an informative reply that answered your question
Which question do you think you answered?

I think we all know the situation, it's why we are discussing it not being on any other platforms...
Old 20-06-2018, 19:21   #718
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

I'll say it again - it is not on any platforms.

It is an Internet stream provided via VirginMedia, Sky, BT, TalkTalk - and many more. It is not blocked on an of those unless the user has < 40Mpbs.

The V6 box is able to decode it to provide it on a compatible tv.

There is no other tv providers set-top-box which is compatible.
Old 20-06-2018, 19:22   #719
awesometeeth
cf.addict

Yup, still not a clue why
Old 20-06-2018, 19:25   #720
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Sky doesn't even have the IPlayer app - which is required to stream it.

BT have little interest in doing much at all.

This is only a trial anyway - so why would companies who don't have the firmware in place yet - bust a gut for something which may not stay in the format of the trial.

V6 was already supporting HDR before this trial.

The BBC provide the app to compatible hardware/firmware - and Sky and BT do not have that in place.
Quote:
Yup, still not a clue why

Last edited by ozsat; 20-06-2018 at 19:28.