Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UHD on Virgin Media

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

UHD on Virgin Media

Old 18-06-2018, 18:27   #676
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
Re: UHD on Virgin Media

I've been looking into buying a new TV, and the advice seems to be to sit closer to a 4K TV than an HD one in order to get the benefits of any detail in the picture.

Is Football the sort of thing that would benefit that much from 4K in the first place? It is a fast moving image, where the action is important, not seeing details.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-06-2018, 18:37   #677
Khenryashley
Freedom for smokers

Services: VM. 3 boxes ( 1 x TiVo 2 x V6) 350 mbps BB
Khenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the rough

I suppose what Tv you have will make a difference.
I have two 4K uhd tv’s and the difference on the OLED is more prominent that the LED.
I also have to switch to a more vivid colour mode to make it more prominent.
Khenryashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 18:59   #678
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Just tried the 4k stream hopeless stuttering and sound dropping out back to good old HD
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 21:06   #679
DVD Cinema
cf.addict

DVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin-D View Post
Just tried the 4k stream hopeless stuttering and sound dropping out back to good old HD
Same here, V6 and tv app.

Freeview HD and Dolby 5.1 with no drop outs.
DVD Cinema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 21:07   #680
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Just gave it another go once the game finish played perfectly since
Old 18-06-2018, 21:35   #681
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khenryashley View Post
I suppose what Tv you have will make a difference.
I have two 4K uhd tv’s and the difference on the OLED is more prominent that the LED.
I also have to switch to a more vivid colour mode to make it more prominent.
I have an LG OLED and the picture was amazing.

I was gobsmacked when I first saw the planet earth demo. The football didn't look too far off that on my tv
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 21:40   #682
Khenryashley
Freedom for smokers

Services: VM. 3 boxes ( 1 x TiVo 2 x V6) 350 mbps BB
Khenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj View Post
I have an LG OLED and the picture was amazing.

I was gobsmacked when I first saw the planet earth demo. The football didn't look too far off that on my tv
Agreed.
Khenryashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 22:30   #683
oxfordmark
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media M+:TV,VM 30mb:BB 1tb and 500gb Tivo, HTC One X
oxfordmark is an unknown quantity at this point

iPlayer TV app started to buffer so went for the V6 version, then the sound suddenly went!

---------- Post added at 22:30 ---------- Previous post was at 22:23 ----------

In the future could the BBC offer 4k as a channel and not via iPlayer?
oxfordmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 22:35   #684
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordmark View Post
iPlayer TV app started to buffer so went for the V6 version, then the sound suddenly went!

---------- Post added at 22:30 ---------- Previous post was at 22:23 ----------

In the future could the BBC offer 4k as a channel and not via iPlayer?
In the future maybe...non live 4k programmes would work from iplayer just as well as a channel
Old 18-06-2018, 23:20   #685
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin-D View Post
Just gave it another go once the game finish played perfectly since
Sums up BBC - take our money and give us a sub-standard unwatchable production
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 23:59   #686
mot12
cf.addict

Services: V.I.P
mot12 will become famous soon enoughmot12 will become famous soon enoughmot12 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Cinema View Post
Try it. Might be better with 350MB though and as near to the router as you can get.
Sorry, I mean has anyone here managed to get the 4K HLG stream via WI FI.

I'm wondering if those of us who can't get it are using WI FI. I know I am I'm not using wired ethernet.

---------- Post added at 23:59 ---------- Previous post was at 23:56 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
That's because for the trial, the TV has to support WCG/BT.2020 over HDMI, as the HLG format only works properly with that colour space format. HLG on TVs that don't support BT.2020 will have muted colours i.e. not the intended ones.

And this is a trial of HLG for live events, it's not a general 4K trial, so the BBC aren't producing a stream that would work on TVs without the BT.2020 support.
Mine does that still can't get it.

I have a Sony XD93. I can't work out why I cannot get the World Cup stream in 4k HLG.

Unless it's the WI FI thing I've just mentioned.
mot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 07:24   #687
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot12 View Post
Sorry, I mean has anyone here managed to get the 4K HLG stream via WI FI.

I'm wondering if those of us who can't get it are using WI FI. I know I am I'm not using wired ethernet.

---------- Post added at 23:59 ---------- Previous post was at 23:56 ----------

Mine does that still can't get it.

I have a Sony XD93. I can't work out why I cannot get the World Cup stream in 4k HLG.

Unless it's the WI FI thing I've just mentioned.

I'm using WiFi to access the app on the tv and/or V6 and I see the UHD stream straight away.

Last edited by Ultimate.Conj; 19-06-2018 at 08:29.
Old 19-06-2018, 07:40   #688
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
It's a trial, Raider.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 08:43   #689
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
They are pushing the boundaries on new technology, as is part of their remit, and have done to your benefit many times before. Colour? Digital TV? HD?
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2018, 09:18   #690
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

To be fair to the beeb it wasn't just the UHD feed that had issues last night the normal HD feed was also suffering picture issues for the entire match it was believed to be an issue with the host broadcaster in Russia