Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UHD on Virgin Media

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

UHD on Virgin Media

Old 16-06-2018, 20:21   #631
awesometeeth
cf.addict

Services: vip
awesometeeth will become famous soon enoughawesometeeth will become famous soon enoughawesometeeth will become famous soon enough
Re: UHD on Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
How else could the BBC test it? You need 20,000 people who would want to view something live.

How many of any problems are down to people's internet connection?
They could have, I don't know, used existing methods?

I'm guessing probably quite a lot, suggests it's not the path to go down isn't it?

BBC 4k, only for those who can afford the fastest unlimited connection or don't live in the sticks...

We play into the hands of the BBC's enemies if we accept the low bar stuff. Zero reason the BBC couldn't have sorted out the world cup feeds a long time ago.

There has to be some reason they choose this option, is it really a cost thing or?
awesometeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-06-2018, 20:55   #632
mot12
cf.addict

Services: V.I.P
mot12 will become famous soon enoughmot12 will become famous soon enoughmot12 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesometeeth View Post
yeah sorry thats what I meant, that maybe your not seeing the true 4k picture for some reason. some people are saying they can access the feed through their TV app when its not on the list and some are saying its working on some devices, but not as intended so its giving strange colours.

its also set with different profiles so if your connection isnt good enough it drops to a lower standard.

yeah I dont blame you about samsung, they are a one of the worst I have ever encountered and wont ever buy another samsung product of any variety.

your TV does support HLG, just not in the streaming variety that iplayer use! it should be okay on a regular transmission if what I read was true.

the picture at full 4k is a lot better, especially if you switch about between the HD version.
If some TVs support HLG via a channel but not the streaming kind. I wonder what the missing element is? What don't they have.
mot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 21:06   #633
Khenryashley
Freedom for smokers

Services: VM. 3 boxes ( 1 x TiVo 2 x V6) 350 mbps BB
Khenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the rough

As previously said it is a trial.
It’s not been perfect even for those with fast perfect internet connections.
I hope there is some feedback from the BBC after the trial.
Nearly all Tv’s sold now are 4K UHD so Broadcasters will want to be at the front of the queue to deliver programs in 4K. Some are already doing this and successfully.
4K UHD is not going to be a fad like 3D.
It will be interesting to see what’s the next step for the terrestrial broadcasters.
Khenryashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 00:03   #634
DVD Cinema
cf.addict

DVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about them

iPlayer already offers UHD on 4K tvs and boxes.

4OD could be next.

BT delivers 4K via their terrestrial box made by Humax, so that would be another step for the BBC etc with their Freeview Play/Freesat system and a 4K box.

Last edited by DVD Cinema; 17-06-2018 at 00:09.
DVD Cinema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 09:24   #635
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
They could have, I don't know, used existing methods?
What alternative system exists that is provider neutral?

All the other 4K content that's been available recently has been though a Pay TV provider, so the BBC can't use those platforms as it would specifically exclude non-Pay TV licence fee holders. And I don't believe Freeview will ever be able to support over the air 4K anytime soon, if at all.

Quote:
There has to be some reason they choose this option, is it really a cost thing or?
No, it's a technology thing.

There are quite a lot of posts from the BBC about what they're doing and the challenges they are coming across, they are worth a read

https://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/blog/2016-1...l-planet-earth
https://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/blog/2017-1...et-bbc-iplayer
https://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/blog/2018-0...edding-uhd-hdr
https://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/blog/2018-0...world_cup_2018

Last edited by BenMcr; 17-06-2018 at 09:30.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 09:52   #636
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

BT try to - because that can not provide Internet speed about 52Mbps here we can't have their 4k service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Cinema View Post
BT delivers 4K via their terrestrial box made by Humax, so that would be another step for the BBC etc with their Freeview Play/Freesat system and a 4K box.
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 11:51   #637
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

For the time being I'm glad Sky have stuck with Satellite for 4K delivery much more reliable and available to everyone with the right equipment.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 14:31   #638
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
For the time being I'm glad Sky have stuck with Satellite for 4K delivery much more reliable and available to everyone with the right equipment.
Agreed

IMO BBC have messed up big time, these trials should have happened ages ago.

It appears the majority are not happy, I wouldn't be - if this is the future (streaming) with buffering every few minutes then streaming won't catch on.

It's a good picture when working is not acceptable.

I suggest the better service on Friday is down to the lower numbers as opposed to yesterday.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 14:32   #639
awesometeeth
cf.addict

awesometeeth will become famous soon enoughawesometeeth will become famous soon enoughawesometeeth will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
What alternative system exists that is provider neutral?

All the other 4K content that's been available recently has been though a Pay TV provider, so the BBC can't use those platforms as it would specifically exclude non-Pay TV licence fee holders. And I don't believe Freeview will ever be able to support over the air 4K anytime soon, if at all.

No, it's a technology thing.

There are quite a lot of posts from the BBC about what they're doing and the challenges they are coming across, they are worth a read

https://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/blog/2016-1...l-planet-earth
https://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/blog/2017-1...et-bbc-iplayer
https://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/blog/2018-0...edding-uhd-hdr
https://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/blog/2018-0...world_cup_2018
Is that confirmed by the BBC that its about being platform neutral?

If so I'll revise my view and put the blame solely at the feet of the BBC.

There is no reason you can't do both for god's sake. That actually makes it easier for people.

Plus 40mbs unlimited internet isn't platform neutral as it rules out so many people.

This is really making the BBC look stupid.
Old 17-06-2018, 14:43   #640
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Is that confirmed by the BBC that its about being platform neutral?
Everything the BBC does has to be platform neutral i.e. everything should be done in a way so that it could be accessed by all licence fee payers.

This is documented in the BBC's charter documents here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/govern...agreement.html

And this is specifically from the agreement document:
http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/.../agreement.pdf

Quote:
61. Making the UK Public Services widely available
(1) The BBC must do all that is reasonably practicable to ensure that viewers, listeners and other users (as the case may be) are able to access the UK Public Services that are intended for them, or elements of their content, in a range of convenient and cost effective ways which are available or might become available in the future. These could include (for example) broadcasting, streaming or making content available on demand, whether by terrestrial, satellite, cable or broadband networks (fixed or wireless) or via the internet
So the BBC generally can't produce something that's classed as UK Public Services that only Sky or BT or VM customers could access (Different rules apply where it comes under the Commercial arm of the BBC)

In the case of the Ultra HD World Cup streams - they are a trial, so I'd expect the BBC are allowed some leeway in these rules - however their aim is still to produce a technical solution that complies with the above statement.

Last edited by BenMcr; 17-06-2018 at 14:58.
Old 17-06-2018, 14:51   #641
DVD Cinema
cf.addict

DVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about them

Live 4K HDR broadcasting has only just been proven by the BBC with the test filming in 4K HDR of the Royal Wedding. There were issues with backwards compatibilty from 4K to SD. Read the BBC article on the Royal Wedding.

Now the BBC have lead the way, there should be more 4K broadcasts.

BT/Sky are already doing 4K in part and now Eurosport and the BBC.

I’m sure Discovery etc are not far behind with a Red button service.

We already have 4K movies and HDR tv from Netflix, Amazon and Rakuten.
DVD Cinema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 15:01   #642
awesometeeth
cf.addict

Quote:
Everything the BBC does has to be platform neutral i.e. everything should be done in a way so that it could be accessed by all licence fee payers.

This is documented in the BBC's charter documents here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/govern...agreement.html

And this is specifically from the agreement document:
http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/.../agreement.pdf

So the BBC generally can't produce something that's classed as UK Public Services that only Sky or BT or VM customers could access (Different rules apply where it comes under the Commercial arm of the BBC)

In the case of the Ultra HD World Cup streams - they are a trial, so I'd expect the BBC are allowed some leeway in these rules - however their aim is still to produce a technical solution that complies with the above statement.
How does providing those 4k streams to Virgin and sky as well as iPlayer in anyway go against that.

This doesn't make sense.
Old 17-06-2018, 15:09   #643
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Cinema View Post
Live 4K HDR broadcasting has only just been proven by the BBC with the test filming in 4K HDR of the Royal Wedding. There were issues with backwards compatibilty from 4K to SD. Read the BBC article on the Royal Wedding.

Now the BBC have lead the way, there should be more 4K broadcasts.

BT/Sky are already doing 4K in part and now Eurosport and the BBC.

I’m sure Discovery etc are not far behind with a Red button service.

We already have 4K movies and HDR tv from Netflix, Amazon and Rakuten.
I'd imagine if Discovery make UHD content available it will be via On Demand. The type of content they make available doesn't have to be shown live.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 15:12   #644
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
How does providing those 4k streams to Virgin and sky as well as iPlayer in anyway go against that.

This doesn't make sense.
Virgin customers with a V6 box can get the streams via iPlayer, so there is no need to produce another version.

Last edited by BenMcr; 17-06-2018 at 15:18.
Old 17-06-2018, 15:37   #645
awesometeeth
cf.addict

Quote:
Virgin customers with a V6 box can get the streams via iPlayer, so there is no need to produce another version.
You mean if they have a compatible TV ,fast enough internet connection and unlimited broadband?

Yeah this stuff doesn't help.

People are getting irked at the BBC, is that the intention?