Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UHD on Virgin Media

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

UHD on Virgin Media

Old 16-06-2018, 14:07   #616
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star
Re: UHD on Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khenryashley View Post
Yes. Yesterday was perfect.
Today not so good. Dropouts and audio sync issues. I had both these issues via my TV iPlayer app and through the V6 app.
I suggest these issues are at the BBC end.
Seems a lot simpler to watch 'normal' TV. Streaming might not be best for live sport, given its delay and potential for buffering.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-06-2018, 14:17   #617
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesometeeth View Post
the app was awful today, crashed, buffered and then came in with audio out of sync.

yeah its a trial, funny though that I managed to watch a broadcast of 4k from two other sources via the red button just fine recently.

btw, you must have a tiny screen if you cant see the different

No i don't have a tiny screen, 49in it just upscales wonderfully, i could easily see the difference using Amazon Prime though.

---------- Post added at 14:17 ---------- Previous post was at 14:16 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Seems a lot simpler to watch 'normal' TV. Streaming might not be best for live sport, given its delay and potential for buffering.

I agree especially if the TV is great at upscaling to 4K.
Old 16-06-2018, 14:17   #618
Khenryashley
Freedom for smokers

Services: VM. 3 boxes ( 1 x TiVo 2 x V6) 350 mbps BB
Khenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I think it’s the BBC that aren’t ready for it.
I streamed the Champions league final in ultra HD without a glitch. (Via YouTube) Also Amazon and Netflix have been streaming 4K stuff without any issues.
I’m sure someone with more technical knowledge will educate us on the ins and outs of it all.
Khenryashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 14:27   #619
awesometeeth
cf.addict

Services: vip
awesometeeth will become famous soon enoughawesometeeth will become famous soon enoughawesometeeth will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
No i don't have a tiny screen, 49in it just upscales wonderfully, i could easily see the difference using Amazon Prime though.

---------- Post added at 14:17 ---------- Previous post was at 14:16 ----------

I agree especially if the TV is great at upscaling to 4K.
Your doing something very wrong then?

---------- Post added at 14:27 ---------- Previous post was at 14:23 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khenryashley View Post
I think it’s the BBC that aren’t ready for it.
I streamed the Champions league final in ultra HD without a glitch. (Via YouTube) Also Amazon and Netflix have been streaming 4K stuff without any issues.
I’m sure someone with more technical knowledge will educate us on the ins and outs of it all.

Indeed it's sadly the choice the BBC has made for whatever reason.

The picture for 95% of the time is very good, it's just not stable enough. I don't know how they think it will work in the future when more and more have 4k TVs.

I'm thinking it's connected to cuts somehow
awesometeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 14:31   #620
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Your doing something very wrong then?

Oh i think i know what i am doing unless for some reason i am not really getting the UHD feed even though the BBC say if you can see it your TV is capable. Strangely though my TV isn't in the list as compatible which doesn't make sense that i can view the feed on the V6.

Any other UHD picture on Amazon Netflix PS4 is far better than the iplayer on my Samsung KS9000, it does make me think that all i am seeing is an upscaled HD feed though..... Anyway i can't stand football so it doesn't really matter and for now it is only the BBC iplayer app that is using this kind of hlg format, hopefully that won't change if my TV can't support it.

I am rather pissed with Samsung though that a top of the range 2016 TV that i bought in April 2017 is said not to support the iplayer hlg format and will never do it.

Last edited by SnoopZ; 16-06-2018 at 14:35.
SnoopZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 14:38   #621
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
l have the same problems trying to watch the cricket online as all l encounter is nothing but errors.
Old 16-06-2018, 14:56   #622
awesometeeth
cf.addict

awesometeeth will become famous soon enoughawesometeeth will become famous soon enoughawesometeeth will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Oh i think i know what i am doing unless for some reason i am not really getting the UHD feed even though the BBC say if you can see it your TV is capable. Strangely though my TV isn't in the list as compatible which doesn't make sense that i can view the feed on the V6.

Any other UHD picture on Amazon Netflix PS4 is far better than the iplayer on my Samsung KS9000, it does make me think that all i am seeing is an upscaled HD feed though..... Anyway i can't stand football so it doesn't really matter and for now it is only the BBC iplayer app that is using this kind of hlg format, hopefully that won't change if my TV can't support it.

I am rather pissed with Samsung though that a top of the range 2016 TV that i bought in April 2017 is said not to support the iplayer hlg format and will never do it.

yeah sorry thats what I meant, that maybe your not seeing the true 4k picture for some reason. some people are saying they can access the feed through their TV app when its not on the list and some are saying its working on some devices, but not as intended so its giving strange colours.

its also set with different profiles so if your connection isnt good enough it drops to a lower standard.

yeah I dont blame you about samsung, they are a one of the worst I have ever encountered and wont ever buy another samsung product of any variety.

your TV does support HLG, just not in the streaming variety that iplayer use! it should be okay on a regular transmission if what I read was true.

the picture at full 4k is a lot better, especially if you switch about between the HD version.
Old 16-06-2018, 16:13   #623
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

I've also had the video buffering and the sound issues, but there is definitely an improvement over HD. When it's working, the picture is lovely.

You can tell when switching back to the HD feed on the hd channel
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 17:43   #624
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

The UHD feed must be getting down scaled for me I think I am just surprised I get the option to view it with my TV.
Old 16-06-2018, 17:44   #625
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
yeah its a trial, funny though that I managed to watch a broadcast of 4k from two other sources via the red button just fine recently.
They were broadcast, not streamed. Also they weren't HDR/HLG. The BBC are in new territory here so it's unsurprising there are teething problems.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 18:43   #626
awesometeeth
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
They were broadcast, not streamed. Also they weren't HDR/HLG. The BBC are in new territory here so it's unsurprising there are teething problems.

Yeah I know and they worked perfectly...

Don't trial something when you have a better option?

Some people aren't too pleased with this "trial"
Old 16-06-2018, 18:46   #627
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

That's right, spider. People are forgetting that these are trials - you cannot expect perfection!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 18:49   #628
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

There's obviously a huge difference between a broadcast that has to be encoded and broadcast live to 20,000 people and something that is already encoded and doesn't have 20,000 people simultaneously trying to view it.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 19:14   #629
awesometeeth
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
That's right, spider. People are forgetting that these are trials - you cannot expect perfection!
You should expect better from the BBC. Applauding them for a trial when other channels can broadcast 4k is odd.

The end result is the BBC are offering people a far more limited service than commercial channels, and sadly I think that's the objective.

---------- Post added at 19:14 ---------- Previous post was at 19:13 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
There's obviously a huge difference between a broadcast that has to be encoded and broadcast live to 20,000 people and something that is already encoded and doesn't have 20,000 people simultaneously trying to view it.
Yep one works and the other is flawed at best.
Old 16-06-2018, 19:18   #630
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

How else could the BBC test it? You need 20,000 people who would want to view something live.

How many of any problems are down to people's internet connection?
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote