Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Price rises this year.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Price rises this year.

Old 16-02-2023, 12:54   #166
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Price rises this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonespeaker View Post
I started my new updated contract in October 2022 and haven't received an email or letter about a price increase. Hope they don't spring it on me a couple of months when it will be too late to leave or negotiate.
I'd expect you'll get a communication soon then.

This Price rise applies to all bundles agreed before 1st November 2022 (even where any discounts delay the actual increase till the end of the discount)
Old 16-02-2023, 13:10   #167
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

The notifications are being staggered (presumably to stagger calls to CS), so just because other customers have received a price rise notification and you haven't doesn't necessarily mean that you won't be getting one in due course.

---------- Post added at 13:10 ---------- Previous post was at 13:05 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post

This Price rise applies to all bundles agreed before 1st November 2022 (even where any discounts delay the actual increase till the end of the discount)
Even if the price rise is negated with increased discounts, meanong thst the net figure remains the same, would Virgin hotify customers of the change in make up of their account? Could they cancel in these circumstances?

Benefits are recalculated every April, but we were legally bound to send them a letter even if the amount received remained the same.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2023, 13:20   #168
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by nialli View Post
Did they tell you why? My contract is up in June and I’ve not had the letter or email yet so I’m wondering if people at the end of their contracts are exempt
Yes they said was part of my offer.

---------- Post added at 13:20 ---------- Previous post was at 13:13 ----------

Quote:

Thanks, thats specific info, I signed up a week or so before that date, so should mean it applies to me, I have a feeling when I rang they just wanted me off the phone. I will report back here if I do get the email or it rises in April/May without one.

If I get it, really unlucky how close it is.

Quote:
Contract start date: 29th October 2022
So I read my PDF contract, surprisingly there is no clause saying VM can increase with inflation, which I expected to see there.

It even specifically says this. (£1 higher than quoted on phone)

Quote:
Your monthly service charge £29.99
Then £69.00 from Monday 29th April 2024
So the person on phone might have been right.

Last edited by Chrysalis; 16-02-2023 at 13:28.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2023, 13:29   #169
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Even if the price rise is negated with increased discounts, meanong thst the net figure remains the same, would Virgin hotify customers of the change in make up of their account? Could they cancel in these circumstances?

Benefits are recalculated every April, but we were legally bound to send them a letter even if the amount received remained the same.
Both O2 and Virgin Mobile currently advise customers of their RPI+3.9% increase before it happens, even though there isn't a right to cancel.

I'd expect the same will happen for Virgin Media cable services too next year.
Old 16-02-2023, 14:19   #170
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
The notifications are being staggered (presumably to stagger calls to CS), so just because other customers have received a price rise notification and you haven't doesn't necessarily mean that you won't be getting one in due course.

---------- Post added at 13:10 ---------- Previous post was at 13:05 ----------

Translation please
Old 16-02-2023, 14:27   #171
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Both O2 and Virgin Mobile currently advise customers of their RPI+3.9% increase before it happens, even though there isn't a right to cancel.

I'd expect the same will happen for Virgin Media cable services too next year.
Any change to the DD amount they have to notify you in advance. They're not doing any favours here.
Anyway the regulator is looking at these no cancellation clauses. VM and others might have to change tack.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2023, 14:29   #172
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

I know for a fact my next negotiation will only be accepted if it is either in writing not to go up or £4 cheaper that it is now to take it into consideration
Old 16-02-2023, 14:38   #173
Peter729
cf.addict

Peter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: Price rises this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordmark View Post
You will probably get the email/letter at the end of March/start of April, ready for 1st May.
I would be happy with that as I could leave due to the price rise and move to YouFibre which is a higher speed (FTTP) and a lower monthly cost 👍👍
Peter729 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2023, 15:04   #174
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Translation please
Basically i'm asking if someone has a price rise, but doesn't end up paying more, will Virgin send out a notification and can this be used to get out of a contract early.
Old 16-02-2023, 15:48   #175
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Basically i'm asking if someone has a price rise, but doesn't end up paying more, will Virgin send out a notification and can this be used to get out of a contract early.
RTCs will apply to anyone who gets a price rise letter this time.
Old 16-02-2023, 19:10   #176
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
What? If someone has a price rise, but doesn't end up paying more then they haven't had a price rise.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2023, 21:52   #177
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

If a tree falls in the woods and there’s nobody there to hear it, does Richard complain to Virgin Media?
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2023, 01:23   #178
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
What? If someone has a price rise, but doesn't end up paying more then they haven't had a price rise.
Technically they will have had a price rise in the cost of their services, even if this rise is negated by an increased discount.

If this isn't classed as a price rise and there is no right to cancel early, it would be unfair if a price rise took place further down the line when the discount that negated this price increase expired. Virgin sometimes offer discounts that don't last for the duration of the contract.
Old 17-02-2023, 08:18   #179
1701-e
EU citizen proud of it!

Services: TV 360 Maxit TV, Gig1 bb & a landline.....
1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one

So it's irrelevant as at the end of their discount they have a right to cancel.
Old 17-02-2023, 09:16   #180
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1701-e View Post
So it's irrelevant as at the end of their discount they have a right to cancel.
Today if you have an 18 month contract and 12 month discount, you wouldn't have an RTC when the discount expired. Only where an previously unknown price change (or other materially detrimental impact) was notified would the RTC apply.

As part of these price rise comms, customers are also being advised about the change in the terms and notify them about the RPI+3.9% increase from 2024 onwards.

Once those apply from May, you don't have a RTC within your minimum term for the RPI+3.9% increase.