Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Price rises this year.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

Price rises this year.

Old 14-02-2023, 16:45   #151
Peter729
cf.addict

Peter729 has a spectacular aura about themPeter729 has a spectacular aura about themPeter729 has a spectacular aura about themPeter729 has a spectacular aura about them
Smile Re: Price rises this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordmark View Post
I think it will be around £90 with Virgin, but then I do not like the new terms of being able to do this again with no option to cancel.

NOW TV looks good value, esp via Talk Talk, who have a box with the app so you can at least get Freeview channels.

My worry is it is too complicated to use, especially for my 4 year old. At the moment he simply presses the mic and says "nick jr".

Would he have to fire up the NOW TV app and browse that way to get to the kids channels? I will need to check if either of my TV's have the NOW TV app. I do have a fire stick, but think that will be just as akward to navigate too.

Are there any cheap PVR boxes where you can record normal TV but also has the NOW TV app?
After a week your 4 year old will giving you lessons
Peter729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-02-2023, 16:46   #152
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Price rises this year.

Breakdown of Sky’s increases (apologies if it’s been already posted)

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...ice-rises.html

Quote:
UPDATE 10th Feb 2023 @ 8:47am

We’ve managed to get some details on the price changes for a few of Sky’s most popular products, which helps to highlight the impact of yesterday’s news.

Sky’s Products and Price Changes
Sky Signature – £32 (current price) to £34 (new price)
Sky Sports Complete pack – £32 to £34
Sky HD – £8 to £9
Sky Broadband Essential Plus – £35 to £38.25
Sky Broadband Superfast – £35.50 to £39.50
Sky Broadband Ultrafast – £40 to £43
Sky Talk Evenings & Weekends Extra – £5 to £5.75
Sky Talk Anytime Extra – £12 to £13.50
Sky Talk International Extra – £14 to £15.50

Sky Stream / Glass Changes (some of these only impact older customers)
Entertainment – £26 to £29
Sky Cinema – £11 to £13
Sky Sports – £25 to £27
UHD (4K) and Dolby Atmos – £5 to £6
Sky Kids – £5 to £6
Whole Home – £10 to £12

The good news is that BT Sport, Multiscreen and the Skippable Ads service / features are unchanged. But there are some other negative changes coming for Sky Broadband customers (here)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2023, 16:55   #153
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
I think it will be around £90 with Virgin, but then I do not like the new terms of being able to do this again with no option to cancel.

NOW TV looks good value, esp via Talk Talk, who have a box with the app so you can at least get Freeview channels.

My worry is it is too complicated to use, especially for my 4 year old. At the moment he simply presses the mic and says "nick jr".

Would he have to fire up the NOW TV app and browse that way to get to the kids channels? I will need to check if either of my TV's have the NOW TV app. I do have a fire stick, but think that will be just as akward to navigate too.

Are there any cheap PVR boxes where you can record normal TV but also has the NOW TV app?
I'm not sure as I've only ever looked into BT TV where Now is on the EPG and can be recorded.

Sky scrapped their Now TV boxes in favour of making their app ubiquitous on TV's etc, so hopefully it will be on your TV's

The people that I know who have it have a Freeview or Freesat recorder and use the Now TV app for pay TV, either live or on demand.

Note that the kids channels are included in the price with Now TV and don't require a £6 extra monthly payment like Virgin or Sky.

If your TV's don't have the app, Now TV boxes are plentiful & cheap, in fact I might have a spare one that you could have or you may be able to cast it to your TV.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 14-02-2023 at 16:59. Reason: Added extra info. Fac HTH
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2023, 17:03   #154
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
How does this compare to Virgin after their price increase?

Sky are managing to keep their price rise to below inflation. I imagine that to be able to do this they must have improved efficiency, cut their profit margin or believe that being the lowest increase out of them all will generate at least dnough extra income to cover the costs of not putting up prices by inflation.

If you aren't bothered about recording, Now TV is even better value. This is even with standard pricing, but i've very rarely paid that. The cheapest i've had for Entertainment is £1 per month and zero for Cinema (I don't bother with sports).
Sky have the benefit of being a major rights holder, in that a greater proportion of their costs (thinking Premiership football primarily) has a fixed, or at least defined, cost throughout the duration of a contract. Sure, inflation will push up the value of each contract in the long run however it will only follow through into the bottom line at renewal with each rights holder.

A relative is seeing their Sky plus broadband package go up from £79 to £89, so it’s certainly double digit percentage increases.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2023, 17:10   #155
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Best thing to do is to decide what you want and/or the minimum that you actually need and then compare prices.

Sky increase is approx an average of 8% and Virgin about 12%, but it ultimately will depend on what services one has.
Old 14-02-2023, 18:03   #156
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

FYI Sky’s current offers end on Thursday Feb 16. No doubt new “limited offers” for new customers will replace them
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2023, 18:59   #157
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Our Sky bill is going from £95.50 to £105.50. This in addition to the £3/month increase in our Sky mobile bill a couple or so months ago.
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2023, 15:19   #158
oxfordmark
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media M+:TV,VM 30mb:BB 1tb and 500gb Tivo, HTC One X
oxfordmark is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I'm not sure as I've only ever looked into BT TV where Now is on the EPG and can be recorded.

Sky scrapped their Now TV boxes in favour of making their app ubiquitous on TV's etc, so hopefully it will be on your TV's

The people that I know who have it have a Freeview or Freesat recorder and use the Now TV app for pay TV, either live or on demand.

Note that the kids channels are included in the price with Now TV and don't require a £6 extra monthly payment like Virgin or Sky.

If your TV's don't have the app, Now TV boxes are plentiful & cheap, in fact I might have a spare one that you could have or you may be able to cast it to your TV.
I tested it on my TV's app and it looked good. Plus has other streaming apps and I believe my TV can record to USB.

I also have a fire stick, but that involves changing the source.

Regarding kids, to get Nick Jr etc, you have to pay the £6 extra to get the channels + on demand content, which is a lifesaver!

My mother in law has a NOW TV Sports pass, witch boost, i may piggy back off her account! So will only need broadband.
oxfordmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2023, 18:22   #159
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Wink Re: Price rises this year.

Quote:
I tested it on my TV's app and it looked good. Plus has other streaming apps and I believe my TV can record to USB.

I also have a fire stick, but that involves changing the source.

Regarding kids, to get Nick Jr etc, you have to pay the £6 extra to get the channels + on demand content, which is a lifesaver!

My mother in law has a NOW TV Sports pass, witch boost, i may piggy back off her account! So will only need broadband.
Kids pack is now included in the Entertainment pass. Now TV dropped the £6 charge when the Disney channels closed.

I think the standard price is £9.99 per month, but you get the first week free. If you regularly play the cancellation game or take up an offer (set marketing emails to yes & regularly check your account messages) you can get it for much less. My cheapest offer has been £1 per month, you should at worst get it for £4.99 a month for, say, three or six months
Old 15-02-2023, 23:37   #160
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

I rang up earlier today and was told I am exempt for duration of my deal. I asked if they sure and they insisted. Guess I find out in two months?
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2023, 23:40   #161
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
I rang up earlier today and was told I am exempt for duration of my deal. I asked if they sure and they insisted. Guess I find out in two months?
I am supposed to be and my contract reads like I am so hopefully
Old 16-02-2023, 07:46   #162
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
Did they tell you why? My contract is up in June and I’ve not had the letter or email yet so I’m wondering if people at the end of their contracts are exempt
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2023, 09:54   #163
Peter729
cf.addict

Peter729 has a spectacular aura about themPeter729 has a spectacular aura about themPeter729 has a spectacular aura about themPeter729 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by nialli View Post
Did they tell you why? My contract is up in June and I’ve not had the letter or email yet so I’m wondering if people at the end of their contracts are exempt
I’ve not received any notification ether and my contact ends in a couple of months!!!
Peter729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2023, 13:31   #164
oxfordmark
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media M+:TV,VM 30mb:BB 1tb and 500gb Tivo, HTC One X
oxfordmark is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter729 View Post
I’ve not received any notification ether and my contact ends in a couple of months!!!
You will probably get the email/letter at the end of March/start of April, ready for 1st May.
oxfordmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2023, 13:37   #165
lonespeaker
cf.member

lonespeaker is an unknown quantity at this point

I started my new updated contract in October 2022 and haven't received an email or letter about a price increase. Hope they don't spring it on me a couple of months when it will be too late to leave or negotiate.
lonespeaker is offline   Reply With Quote