Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | GB News / Talk TV

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

GB News / Talk TV

Old 27-04-2022, 23:01   #526
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: GB News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Well actually looks like a bit of a shaky start to TalkTV in the end: https://metro.co.uk/2022/04/27/piers...lktv-16542705/

Morgan got big numbers for his first show with Trump but they're actually behind GB News who are still quite behind SKY/BBC.
So why is anyone bothered? What difference does it make? People will watch the news they want but Talk TV is not a news channel, it is a discussion platform, it evolved to TV from Talk Radio

Forgot to also say it is part of the Murdouch (Fox News) empire.

Last edited by pip08456; 27-04-2022 at 23:15.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-04-2022, 08:15   #527
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
So why is anyone bothered? What difference does it make? People will watch the news they want but Talk TV is not a news channel, it is a discussion platform, it evolved to TV from Talk Radio

Forgot to also say it is part of the Murdouch (Fox News) empire.
It's just interesting to see how these new channels do as it's not something we see a lot of in the U.K. Especially these attempts at more partisan and opinionated channels that do well in the United States with MSNBC and Fox News.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2022, 09:32   #528
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

I watch GB News Breakfast, Headliners and listen to the Andrew Doyle podcast of his show and I don't see or hear anything partisan on there. BBC and Sky, when i watch them, come across as much more slanted.
Old 28-04-2022, 10:09   #529
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Or to put it another way, when you watch things that broadly agree/reinforce with your viewpoint, you don’t see/recognise any bias, but when you watch things that don’t support, or May challenge, your views, you see bias…

If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2022, 10:13   #530
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Or to put it another way, when you watch things that broadly agree/reinforce with your viewpoint, you don’t see/recognise any bias, but when you watch things that don’t support, or May challenge, your views, you see bias…

To justify what you've just said, maybe you'll do as Pierre and let us have an honest appraisal rather than sniding on Pierre.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2022, 10:16   #531
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
To justify what you've just said, maybe you'll do as Pierre and let us have an honest appraisal rather than sniding on Pierre.
I doubt he's capable.
Old 28-04-2022, 10:23   #532
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

I haven't watched it for a while but a lot of it was unashamedly, intentionally, polemical. The TV equivalent of an opinion column as opposed to the news section. This was true of Andrew Neil's section, Farage's show and Wootton's show. It's not unbiased to talk about how you're going to confront the woke mob and it's not intended to be.
Old 28-04-2022, 10:40   #533
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I haven't watched it for a while but a lot of it was unashamedly, intentionally, polemical. The TV equivalent of an opinion column as opposed to the news section. This was true of Andrew Neil's section, Farage's show and Wootton's show. It's not unbiased to talk about how you're going to confront the woke mob and it's not intended to be.
Both TalkTV and GB News are actively pitching themselves as 'anti-woke' which is a cultural stance and definitely partisan
Old 28-04-2022, 10:42   #534
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Was anything I said in that post inaccurate?

---------- Post added at 10:42 ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
I doubt he's capable.
Oh, the irony…
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2022, 11:14   #535
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Both TalkTV and GB News are actively pitching themselves as 'anti-woke' which is a cultural stance and definitely partisan
Telling others you can't say certain things or you deserve to be cancelled, fired or even die, is definitely partisan and extremely woke. The "minority" encroaching on the rest of us to agree to their stances.

I haven't yet watched any Talk TV, I can imagine it's free thinking and it is not afraid of discussing difficult conversations, pretty much like GB News does, Sky News and BBC News don't like upsetting folk so avoid controversial views.

For example - the big issue at the moment is transgenderism - There is nothing wrong saying only women have a cervix and only men have a prostate, yet, the pathetic wokeness of today says it's wrong to say this, when it most certainly is not, because science says so, just ask Professor Robert Winston.

Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2022, 11:19   #536
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Telling others you can't say certain things or you deserve to be cancelled, fired or even die, is definitely partisan and extremely woke. The "minority" encroaching on the rest of us to agree to their stances.
It is but then so is the framing of how you present this problem. It's a debatable premise. GB News' commentary on how they'll fight this 'problem' is also partisan. You may agree with it, you may think it's an honourable fight, but it's not an objective stance.
Old 28-04-2022, 11:27   #537
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Semantically correct but is there a sentiment of criticism/distaste for those two stations for their anti-wokeness?

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2022, 11:33   #538
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
It is but then so is the framing of how you present this problem. It's a debatable premise. GB News' commentary on how they'll fight this 'problem' is also partisan. You may agree with it, you may think it's an honourable fight, but it's not an objective stance.
It's not about having to fight for something, it's about having common sense, you have laws in Scotland that say 4 year old children can change their sex without parental interference (see https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/14...dren-education)

This is utterly barbaric, at aged 4, no child should have the mindset that they want to change their sex. But to ban parents to wade in on this strange policy, utterly wrong. This is the kind of view that would not be aired on BBC News or Sky News, because they don't want to upset the woke mob - it's been discussed on GB News - it should be allowed to be said, it's not partisan, it's called free speech.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2022, 11:38   #539
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Semantically correct but is there a sentiment of criticism/distaste for those two stations for their anti-wokeness?
A fully 'pro-woke' channel would also be definitely partisan
Old 28-04-2022, 11:41   #540
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
I think there is criticism is how they frame it.

For example, I don't think the term woke is that useful and is instead used broadly to mean anything that is deemed too socially progressive to the speaker and/or listener. So it can mean transgenderism as Mick mentioned, it can mean Black Lives Matter, it can mean advocating for homosexual couples to adopt, and it can mean being pro-choice.

I certainly think there is a mob effect on social media where people actively go out to almost destroy anyone who makes the slightest perceived transgression. People for whom context and intention don't matter.

But then I also think there is a racial bias in American policing. That transgender people aren't hurting anyone so leave them alone. So to the likes of Dan Wotton, I am part of a woke mob. It doesn't bother me because I don't believe him to have much of intellect to be able to drill into these positions properly and think about it so he mouths off like a man in the pub, but it is an example of how unless the phrase is.

Last edited by Damien; 28-04-2022 at 11:44.