Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Price rises this year.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

Price rises this year.

Old 19-02-2023, 09:36   #211
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads
Re: Price rises this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordmark View Post
An ideal world for me would be VM keep me Kn a good BB only package with a free stream for my bedroom.

Then go for Sky Stream in the living room.

Anyone got a full list of channels on VM Stream?
https://www.cordbusters.co.uk/virgin...am-box-review/

Have a poke around this site for options. I’d suggest Roku or Fire Stick are better than the Virgin Stream
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-02-2023, 10:25   #212
Peter729
cf.addict

Peter729 has a spectacular aura about themPeter729 has a spectacular aura about themPeter729 has a spectacular aura about themPeter729 has a spectacular aura about them

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...y%2Findex.html

From the Daily Mail

As millions tied to cynical deals face extra charges, we urge watchdog to act: Pull plug on phone and broadband giants' price hike rackets... NOW!

The regulator, Ofcom, is looking into this issue, but has only promised to publish its initial findings later in the year. It admitted to The Mail on Sunday that it will not publish them until after this year's price rises have taken effect. That is why today the MoS is calling for:

A ban of mid-contract price hikes;
Customers to be allowed to exit their contract penalty-free if they are not happy with mid-contract increases to their bills;
Ofcom to urgently report its findings before it's too late.
Peter729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2023, 10:33   #213
oxfordmark
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media M+:TV,VM 30mb:BB 1tb and 500gb Tivo, HTC One X
oxfordmark is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by nialli View Post
https://www.cordbusters.co.uk/virgin...am-box-review/

Have a poke around this site for options. I’d suggest Roku or Fire Stick are better than the Virgin Stream
Yea but not for streaming Live TV.
oxfordmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2023, 13:26   #214
nialli
cf.geek

nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Yea but not for streaming Live TV.
You can now use the Apps for all the main live TV Freeview channels. On my Roku for the BBC channels, I can use iPlayer live TV option, all of the ITV channels are on ITVX, All4 for the channel 4 line up and My5 for the 5 selection.
If I had NOW Entertainment I'd have a selection of the more popular pay live viewing.
I don't need an aerial
Old 19-02-2023, 14:25   #215
oxfordmark
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media M+:TV,VM 30mb:BB 1tb and 500gb Tivo, HTC One X
oxfordmark is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by nialli View Post
You can now use the Apps for all the main live TV Freeview channels. On my Roku for the BBC channels, I can use iPlayer live TV option, all of the ITV channels are on ITVX, All4 for the channel 4 line up and My5 for the 5 selection.
If I had NOW Entertainment I'd have a selection of the more popular pay live viewing.
I don't need an aerial
I like to look at a EPG to see what’s on, not go to each app individually.

The VM Stream looks good value (free with BB).
oxfordmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2023, 15:35   #216
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:

From ehat i've read it's basically a retention tool to keep you with Virgin broadband.

Anyone who goes for this needs to check if this puts them into a new contract. Different people have been told different things.

Also, those who take this need to understand that it's extremely unlikely that you will be offeted any retention deals in the future. IMO Virgin are likely to assume that, having paid £35 for free streaming of FTA TV, you are unlikely to want to leave and, therefore, retention discounts won't be forthcoming.

If you do end up leaving it's £35 down the drain and, if you leave, return & want it again, another £35 will be charged again.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 19-02-2023 at 15:47. Reason: Tidied up Fac RDA
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2023, 17:12   #217
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter729 View Post
https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...y%2Findex.html

From the Daily Mail

As millions tied to cynical deals face extra charges, we urge watchdog to act: Pull plug on phone and broadband giants' price hike rackets... NOW!

The regulator, Ofcom, is looking into this issue, but has only promised to publish its initial findings later in the year. It admitted to The Mail on Sunday that it will not publish them until after this year's price rises have taken effect. That is why today the MoS is calling for:

A ban of mid-contract price hikes;
Customers to be allowed to exit their contract penalty-free if they are not happy with mid-contract increases to their bills;
Ofcom to urgently report its findings before it's too late.
MoS is agreeing with me then, my view is the ISPs can have a choice between monthly or short term contracts which allows them to increase prices often, or long term as they do now with exit fees but the prices are guaranteed for duration, at the moment they allowed to have the best of both worlds which isnt right.

Ofcom part of their remit is to look out for those they regulate, its likely they wont make a decision until after May I think so as to not disrupt the current rises, but if government intervenes due to political pressure then anything could happen.

I do think though VMs approach with the current RTC will be the same as always, cancel the increase via discounts to those who haggle/complain, and take in the extra for those who dont.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2023, 18:31   #218
nialli
cf.geek

I think this is too late to have any impact on the main culprits, BT and Virgin Media
Old 19-02-2023, 18:55   #219
Peter729
cf.addict

Peter729 has a spectacular aura about themPeter729 has a spectacular aura about themPeter729 has a spectacular aura about themPeter729 has a spectacular aura about them

There seems little point in entering into a 18\24 month contract when there's no surety to be gained from it.
Old 19-02-2023, 19:43   #220
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter729 View Post
There seems little point in entering into a 18\24 month contract when there's no surety to be gained from it.
Totally agree no point in going in to a price increasing contract . Freeview with BB and a smart TV looks the way to go.
Old 19-02-2023, 20:30   #221
Peter729
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Totally agree no point in going in to a price increasing contract . Freeview with BB and a smart TV looks the way to go.

I think that might be an expensive lesson for VM.

It is annoying as I have no issue with the VM BB service but why do I want to enter into a 18/24 month VM contact when I can get FTTP at a higher speed and a lower monthly price along with a guarantee of NO in contract price rises.
Old 19-02-2023, 20:44   #222
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

We are still waiting for a price rise notification but from l can ascertain they are being rolled out to customers over a period of a couple of months.
Old 19-02-2023, 21:35   #223
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
We are still waiting for a price rise notification but from l can ascertain they are being rolled out to customers over a period of a couple of months.
No news is good news Den. Have you done a deal in the last 6 or so months, if so you might get away with it.

I've done a deal, paying less than I was before. Mainly hesitated as I might be moving to a non cabled area this year, but VM promise not to charge cancellation charges if this is the case. We'll see....

The RPI + 3.8% increases and non cancellation during the contract is something to be aware of, but on balance I've gone for it. Took over an hour from when my call was answered to get the deal/ price screwed down, no wonder they want to stop this farce every year. Tremendous waste of everyone's time, doubtless they hope most are apathetic/can't be bothered. Good business model I guess. Might backfire in these 'tight' times though.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2023, 02:17   #224
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Quote:

I use tvguide.co.uk to see what's on.
johnathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2023, 08:54   #225
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
No news is good news Den. Have you done a deal in the last 6 or so months, if so you might get away with it.

I've done a deal, paying less than I was before. Mainly hesitated as I might be moving to a non cabled area this year, but VM promise not to charge cancellation charges if this is the case. We'll see....

The RPI + 3.8% increases and non cancellation during the contract is something to be aware of, but on balance I've gone for it. Took over an hour from when my call was answered to get the deal/ price screwed down, no wonder they want to stop this farce every year. Tremendous waste of everyone's time, doubtless they hope most are apathetic/can't be bothered. Good business model I guess. Might backfire in these 'tight' times though.
Last October we started a 18 month contract Mr K.