Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Price rises this year.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

Price rises this year.

Old 10-02-2023, 21:26   #106
oxfordmark
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media M+:TV,VM 30mb:BB 1tb and 500gb Tivo, HTC One X
oxfordmark is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Price rises this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
We've had the price rise letter. Looking to dump the TV and phone and minimise the broadband to 100mb. It's just too expensive at the moment and we don't use anything on the TV that isn't already on Freeview or streamers or other.

BT and city fiber biting at VM's heels here with competitive offerings so plenty of options.
I’m tempted by Sky Stream, 31 day rolling contract. No long term contracts that can increase!
oxfordmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2023, 21:27   #107
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
We've had the price rise letter. Looking to dump the TV and phone and minimise the broadband to 100mb. It's just too expensive at the moment and we don't use anything on the TV that isn't already on Freeview or streamers or other.

BT and city fiber biting at VM's heels here with competitive offerings so plenty of options.
Indeed they are

Instead of becoming more competitive and improving their absolutely abysmal customer service though, Virgin think it's a good idea to hike up their prices by much more than their main competitor (Sky) during the worst cost of living crisis that most have experienced in their lives.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 22:00   #108
djmagnifique
cf.geek

Services: XL tv with 2x V6 boxes, M phone, 350Mb broadband
djmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
No comparison.
The licence fee has to be paid, even if you dont watch the BBC, its not optional.
VM/Sky/Others are optional, i.e. by choice.

You only need a TV licence if you watch and/or record live TV channels and/or use BBC iPlayer. Streaming sites like NetFlix, Amazon Prime and Disney+ don't need a licence.

https://www.gov.uk/tv-licence
djmagnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 03:01   #109
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmagnifique View Post
You only need a TV licence if you watch and/or record live TV channels and/or use BBC iPlayer. Streaming sites like NetFlix, Amazon Prime and Disney+ don't need a licence.
https://www.gov.uk/tv-licence
Yes, which is still the vast majority, and the 'channels' you watch may never be the BBC.

Also, unless it changed in recent years, you only needed the ability to watch tv channels, even if you never actually did so.
[ or you could prove you only ever watched streaming on your shiny new flat screen ].

iPlayer is an oddity, it asks if you have a licence, but has no way to verify if you say 'yes'. I dont really see how its different to something like Prime.

---------- Post added at 02:01 ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordmark View Post
I’m tempted by Sky Stream, 31 day rolling contract. No long term contracts that can increase!
Well presumably they can still increase the 31 day price.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 12:05   #110
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

VM are promoting the M50 tier again (I think this had been removed from sale?) Does anyone know if its available through retentions too?
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 12:37   #111
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Digital View Post
VM are promoting the M50 tier again (I think this had been removed from sale?) Does anyone know if its available through retentions too?
I could be wrong but is that not their “social tariff” for those on certain benefits?
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 12:50   #112
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Wink Re: Price rises this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I could be wrong but is that not their “social tariff” for those on certain benefits?
No, its only 15MBps (£12.50) or 54MBps (£20) for those on Universal Credit.

Other providers also allow people on Pension Credit, Income Suppirt, Income Based ESA, Income Based JSA etc to join their social tariff, but with Virgin one has to be on Universal Credit.to qualify.

How much s it for 50MNps?

Maybe the fact that we're in a cost of living crisis is starting to dawn on them as people use the price rise get out clause to cancel, so they're again offering a lower speed/price to try and retain some Income from these xustomers??

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 11-02-2023 at 13:01. Reason: Spelling Fax JWA
Old 11-02-2023, 12:59   #113
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Yes it is. AFAIK only those on Universal credit (or at least one of them).
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 13:15   #114
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Yes it is. AFAIK only those on Universal credit (or at least one of them).
Maybe it is and the poster meant to actually say 54MBps?
Old 11-02-2023, 13:40   #115
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Yes it is. AFAIK only those on Universal credit.
Cheers, pip.

---------- Post added at 12:40 ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Maybe it is and the poster meant to actually say 54MBps?
M50 is 54Mb.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 14:03   #116
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

It's not the social tarrif, it's widely available and costs £25pm to new customers: https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/broadband-only

I saw it advertised on TV this morning too.
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 14:20   #117
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Digital View Post
It's not the social tarrif, it's widely available and costs £25pm to new customers: https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/broadband-only

I saw it advertised on TV this morning too.
They possibly have re-enabled sales of it since the price rise, but they did stop sell previous to that and offered it as one of the social tarrifs still available at £20pm.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 11:10   #118
Peter729
cf.addict

Peter729 has a spectacular aura about themPeter729 has a spectacular aura about themPeter729 has a spectacular aura about themPeter729 has a spectacular aura about them

From the Daily Mail

Virgin Media sent most audacious price hike letter I've seen, says RACHEL RICKARD STRAUS: Telecoms giants take us for fools... it has to stop It is putting my broadband bills up by 26 per cent. This increase is coming in the middle of my contract and is more than double the rate of inflation.
Peter729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 12:04   #119
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter729 View Post
From the Daily Mail

Virgin Media sent most audacious price hike letter I've seen, says RACHEL RICKARD STRAUS: Telecoms giants take us for fools... it has to stop It is putting my broadband bills up by 26 per cent. This increase is coming in the middle of my contract and is more than double the rate of inflation.
Looks like their response to those who can't/won't pay the price rise could be, not to reduce the price, but to offer to reduce their speed.

Re-introducing 50M gives those on the previous lowest speed somewhere to be directed to.
Old 12-02-2023, 12:19   #120
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Looks like their response to those who can't/won't pay the price rise could be, not to reduce the price, but to offer to reduce their speed.

Re-introducing 50M gives those on the previous lowest speed somewhere to be directed to.
Anyone tried would be plenty for me but still waiting for price rise to come to me