Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Price rises this year.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Price rises this year.

Old 07-02-2023, 14:30   #76
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold
Re: Price rises this year.

I haven't received my notification yet either but, from what I've seen online, the increases seem to be £9, £12, £15 or £21.50. I'm guessing I'll be at the lower end of those, depending on how they view my Stream box.

The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that VM isn't the right company for me - it's a premium product at a premium price and, right now, that's not what I'm after. My only issue is that there are no altnets in my area and getting Openreach installed would require them to dig up my block paved drive and the hassle that would ensue. I am considering Three's home broadband though. Does anyone have any experience with it?
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-02-2023, 22:30   #77
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

I don’t consider VM premium priced. I’ve never had a Sky offer that could beat VM’s pricing. Even NOW costs more with their broadband factored in. BT is the worst value.

I’ve got a mobile on Three. No Three 5g yet in SE London but the 4G around our way is 50 down, 30 up most of the time and their home broadband is probably good enough if you have decent coverage like us.
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 23:09   #78
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

It's the standard prices I'm referring to as premium, as that's what the price rise is based on. The standard price for my package of BB125 and Anytime calls is currently £59. I get discounts which makes the actual price I pay comparable with VM's competitors.
When I receive my price rise notification I'll try and haggle (starting with dropping the Anytime calls). But, even if I do agree a price, do I want to commit to an RPI+3.9% increase based on £60+ standard price with VM next year, or switch to Three and have a CPI+3.9% increase on £20ish. It seems a no brainer to me price-wise.
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 16:35   #79
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Ofcom has started investigating mobile phone and broadband operators who increase prices for customers mid-contract.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64584641
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 17:23   #80
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

Sky increases considerably less than Virgin Media’s

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ne...ce-hikes-2023/

Last edited by nialli; 09-02-2023 at 17:48.
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 18:49   #81
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin-D View Post
Ofcom has started investigating mobile phone and broadband operators who increase prices for customers mid-contract.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64584641
OFCOM can resolve this easily by giving customers the right to leave without penaly within 30 days of price rise notification. Problem solved.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 19:48   #82
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
OFCOM can resolve this easily by giving customers the right to leave without penaly within 30 days of price rise notification. Problem solved.
Exactly. This would stop Virgin from putting up prices and then preventing customers from leaving as they are planning to do from next year.

---------- Post added at 19:48 ---------- Previous post was at 19:42 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nialli View Post
I don’t consider VM premium priced. I’ve never had a Sky offer that could beat VM’s pricing. Even NOW costs more with their broadband factored in. BT is the worst value.

I’ve got a mobile on Three. No Three 5g yet in SE London but the 4G around our way is 50 down, 30 up most of the time and their home broadband is probably good enough if you have decent coverage like us.
It's all smoke and mirrors and depends on what people want.

For example, as posted above the forthcoming Virgin price will be significantly higher than that of Sky.

Virgin customers who want to watch the popular Sky Atlantic channel have to factor in the price of Now TV and pay twice for the other Sky channels.

Those who want BT Sport may find that Virgin is better for them as all customers on the highest packs subsidise the cost of this whether they watch it or not.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 20:27   #83
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

I got a letter today, £15 a month price rise.

I'm having to leave work to look after my wife so I'll be going down to the minimum BB package only.

Is the minimum 100Mb? What sort of price do you think i could get?

TIA
johnathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 20:33   #84
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
I got a letter today, £15 a month price rise.

I'm having to leave work to look after my wife so I'll be going down to the minimum BB package only.

Is the minimum 100Mb? What sort of price do you think i could get?

TIA
15mb/£12.50 a month is the lowest, if you claim Universal Credit.
https://www.virginmedia.com/broadban...ncome-families
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 20:34   #85
johnathome
cf.geek

johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
15mb/£12.50 a month is the lowest, if you claim Universal Credit.
https://www.virginmedia.com/broadban...ncome-families
I won't be getting UC, I'll just have to phone them i guess.
Old 09-02-2023, 20:47   #86
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I won't be getting UC, I'll just have to phone them i guess.
Ring up and cancel your services. They'll ring back with a better offer. If not you can always cancel your cancellation, or go with one of the many cheaper fibre deals atm, if available to you.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 21:44   #87
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Sky seem to have undercut all the big companies by quite some margin

BT + 14.4%
EE + 14.4%
Plusnet + 14.4%
Talk Talk + 14.2%
Virgin Media + 13.8%
Sky + 8.1%
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 22:14   #88
johnathome
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Ring up and cancel your services. They'll ring back with a better offer. If not you can always cancel your cancellation, or go with one of the many cheaper fibre deals atm, if available to you.
If i leave VM I'd need a new line installed I think, hopefully one would do a free install.
Old 09-02-2023, 23:13   #89
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
If i leave VM I'd need a new line installed I think, hopefully one would do a free install.
When I was considering BT TV & broadband because of their 2 year half price Now TV offer, they offeted to buy me out of my Virgin contract & install a new phone line completely free of charge.

If you give them a call i'm sure they'd offer you the same thing.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 12:22   #90
oxfordmark
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media M+:TV,VM 30mb:BB 1tb and 500gb Tivo, HTC One X
oxfordmark is an unknown quantity at this point

I have not had any contact regarding a price rise. When i called, I was told my bill would be going from £69 to £88 and I would NOT be able to leave penalty free.

Maybe the system has not yet applied the increase to me?

I took this contract out in March 2022.

Anyone else not had anything?
oxfordmark is offline   Reply With Quote