Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 29-12-2018, 12:18   #4876
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
To me it has a date and time due to it being live sport? That is not linear. It's just live.
The example Chad posted isn't live. It's the highlights of a fight that took place last week. Maybe they don't have the right to show it until 9pm.

Quote:
Also when Netflix state a date and time for a new episode of a series, that is just the availability of it on the service. It's still not linear. You can watch it any time after its added.
Chad said "If you join the broadcast late you can't rewind the video to the start". That sounds linear to me. It just happens to be delivered over the internet.
Advertisement
Old 29-12-2018, 12:21   #4877
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
To me it has a date and time due to it being live sport? That is not linear. It's just live.

Also when Netflix state a date and time for a new episode of a series, that is just the availability of it on the service. It's still not linear. You can watch it any time after its added. It's usually new shows that air weekly in the US, so they areaking them available as soon as possible. For example Star Trek discovery added new episodes each week last year at 8am the morning after it aired in the US.

Doesn't make it linear.
The stuff on YouTube I'm referring to isn't live. It highlights of a fight that took place last week.

I get the point you're making about shows from abroad becoming available on netflix etc... Always wondered why prime released episodes of the grand tour every Thursday at midnight. For me anyway it's no different to top gear being broadcast on a Sunday night at 9pm each week. Both shows are unavailable until a specific date at a specific time. You can watch it as soon as it becomes available or watch it at your own convenience either by streaming or pvr for the TV broadcast.

Last edited by Chad; 29-12-2018 at 12:33.
Old 29-12-2018, 12:32   #4878
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
The example Chad posted isn't live. It's the highlights of a fight that took place last week. Maybe they don't have the right to show it until 9pm.

Chad said "If you join the broadcast late you can't rewind the video to the start". That sounds linear to me. It just happens to be delivered over the internet.
Even when watching YouTube live broadcasts I can always rewind them.
Any new episodes added always let me rewind or fast forward if I watch them as soon as they are added. Have never seen any that don't.
Old 29-12-2018, 16:03   #4879
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

I tried to watch Sky Football through my Virgin to go on my Samsung tablet, just kept coming up error, Real nuisance as it does this quite often, Virgin programmes are ok, Sky is Rubbish,
Old 29-12-2018, 16:13   #4880
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville View Post
I tried to watch Sky Football through my Virgin to go on my Samsung tablet, just kept coming up error, Real nuisance as it does this quite often, Virgin programmes are ok, Sky is Rubbish,

I don't know if you have, but I suspect you have to register your profile tablet with sky?
Old 29-12-2018, 22:09   #4881
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Even when watching YouTube live broadcasts I can always rewind them.
Any new episodes added always let me rewind or fast forward if I watch them as soon as they are added. Have never seen any that don't.
I'm watching the video I linked last night just now. It started at nine o'clock. It will not allow me to rewind the video to the start on my smart TV. Won't let me rewind on my phone either.
Old 30-12-2018, 19:27   #4882
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

I may try Netflix for a month, and was wondering how ppl access it before I experiment and the missus gets annoyed with me for not leaving it alone

Attached to the TV I have the following netflix compatible devices (the TV itself, and blu ray player are too old for the netflix app)

ps3
ps4
PC
Virgin Tivo

sadly blu tooth no longer works on ps3, so the blu mote remote won't work any more, and have to use a controller cabled

ps4 - would have to use controller so a bit cumbersome

PC - i could maybe set up the ps3 blumote with that, I've used that with vlc on the pc, not sure you can configure for netflix? I've also got wireless logitech keyboard with built in mousepad.

virgin Tivo box - seems most sensible - can use the remote as a normal remote, but bbc iplayer I've found to be a bit hit and miss, I remember a couple of times 5 mins into a sit com giving up and using the ps3 iplayer app instead, or pc as it kept stuttering
Old 30-12-2018, 22:20   #4883
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by admars View Post
I may try Netflix for a month, and was wondering how ppl access it before I experiment and the missus gets annoyed with me for not leaving it alone

Attached to the TV I have the following netflix compatible devices (the TV itself, and blu ray player are too old for the netflix app)

ps3
ps4
PC
Virgin Tivo

sadly blu tooth no longer works on ps3, so the blu mote remote won't work any more, and have to use a controller cabled

PC - i could maybe set up the ps3 blumote with that, I've used that with vlc on the pc, not sure you can configure for netflix? I've also got wireless logitech keyboard with built in mousepad.

virgin Tivo box - seems most sensible - can use the remote as a normal remote, but bbc iplayer I've found to be a bit hit and miss, I remember a couple of times 5 mins into a sit com giving up and using the ps3 iplayer app instead, or pc as it kept stuttering
It depends on the tivo you have? I have the V6 and netflix and iplayer etc load up exceptionally quick and are very stable.

The older tivo we have downstairs i have encountered issues with iplayer where it loads forever and then sometimes just stops randomly.
Old 30-12-2018, 22:27   #4884
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

this isn't a v6, it's previous gen
Old 30-12-2018, 22:50   #4885
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
There is this for the PS4

PDP Sony PS4 Officially Licensed Media Remote

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/6519265
Old 30-12-2018, 23:00   #4886
admars
cf.mega poster

yeh, I've had that on my Amazon wishlist for a while, currently I don't watch things via the ps4 often enough to make it an essential purchase.
Old 30-12-2018, 23:20   #4887
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
yeh, I've had that on my Amazon wishlist for a while, currently I don't watch things via the ps4 often enough to make it an essential purchase.

I think your best option is to use the Netflix app on the PS4 it'll probably give you better performance than on the Tivo , although you may need that remote?

Another option is to buy something like an Amazon Fire stick if your TV has a spare HDMI port.

But if it was me i would try the PS4 and the Tivo on your FREE Netflix month trial before you make a decision.

Or just upgrade the TV to a good 4K one.
Old 31-12-2018, 08:36   #4888
admars
cf.mega poster

I've signed up for free trial, just for the new Black Mirror really, so don't really want to spend more money

the input is useful, means I'll try ps4 first, rather than faff with other options and get annoyed, thanks
Old 31-12-2018, 14:52   #4889
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
I've signed up for free trial, just for the new Black Mirror really, so don't really want to spend more money

the input is useful, means I'll try ps4 first, rather than faff with other options and get annoyed, thanks
I persuaded my wife to get Prime by transferring my Sky Movies subscription from Virgin Media to Now TV, and with the saving we made, we used that to get Amazon!
Old 31-12-2018, 18:13   #4890
admars
cf.mega poster

Interestingly, when I go to use the app on the Virgin Tivo box, and try to watch the new Black Mirror, it warns me that the interactive stuff won't work, so I'll use PS4 and app, and it looks like I can use either the netflix app on my phone, or use the ps4 second screen app on the phone as a remote!
Closed Thread