Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UK & EU Agree Post-Brexit Trade Deal

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

UK & EU Agree Post-Brexit Trade Deal
Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 15:44   #931
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Brexit Development(s) Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
For God's sake! The vote was to leave the EU.

How that is achieved is for the politicians, whenever they get their acts together.

The 'how we leave' issue is just the spanner in the works thrown in by Luddite remainers.
Our future trading arrangements with our largest trading partner - and indeed the possibility of the UK being flooded by tariff free goods from around the world as WTO countries claim their right to the same "no tariffs" we offer the UK, is hardly a "spanner in the works".

British jobs are at risk.
Advertisement
Old 04-10-2019, 16:07   #932
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
You should probably offer your services to the Attorney General, as you seem to think you know more/better than him and the entire Government legal team.

---------- Post added at 15:18 ---------- Previous post was at 15:15 ----------

Relevant word in bold/underlined...

But you also seem to be missing a/the point - you are stating that something should happen because the (then) PM said so, and his word must be believed; he also said something else, which wasn't true, but that doesn't need to believed.

As I said - chosing your "promises" from DC selectively...

---------- Post added at 15:20 ---------- Previous post was at 15:18 ----------

From a barrister...
Oh, Twitter. Well that’s alright then.

I wonder exactly what it is the secret barrister is getting so angry about, seeing as the “Downing Street source” has pointedly not said exactly what is being done, other than to confirm they will send the letter as required, but they believe they have a way round the Surrender Act and have been privately briefing EU governments about it.

It seems to me that a number of options are open to the government, one of them being a warning that if the UK continues in membership beyond 31 October it will begin to obstruct the orderly running of the EU by, for example, refusing to agree the budget or to appoint its EU Commissioner.

The Surrender Act may force the Prime Minister to do one specific thing but it does not prohibit him doing anything else. And at the end of the day an extension beyond 31 October requires the unanimous agreement of the EU27. No amount of squealing from the Opposition benches can change that. If BoJo is to comply with British law yet also ensure there is no extension beyond 31 October, then that has to be fought for and gained in Brussels, not Westminster.

Our excitable barrister’s robbery illustration is great satire, but Twitter remains a poor forum for legal debate, even after they lifted the 140 character limit.

Last edited by Chris; 04-10-2019 at 16:14.
Old 04-10-2019, 16:07   #933
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
You should probably offer your services to the Attorney General, as you seem to think you know more/better than him and the entire Government legal team.

But you also seem to be missing a/the point - you are stating that something should happen because the (then) PM said so, and his word must be believed; he also said something else, which wasn't true, but that doesn't need to believed.

From a barrister...
In what other context could X be held accountable for Y & Z not coming to an agreement, where Y won't say what they would agree to, other than saying(3 times) that they refuse to accept the only thing Z is prepared to offer? Even if Y or Z agree to a particular plan, it still takes BOTH of them to have to agree. The onus is on Y & Z, not X. How can something that is LEGALLY described as being a transitional phase, unambiguously limited in time, have something that is not limited in time?
Examples please of where those things would and have been, allowed legally?

In a trade union dispute, would a trade union leader be held legally responsible for 2 sides(employer and union members) not reaching an agreement? Would the trade union leader be forced to accept whatever the employer proposed, if no agreement was reached within a certain time? Would the trade union leader have to go into negotiations with no threats of strikes or other disruptions allowed? Not sure all that would be in the negotiating handbook for trade unions(or any other organisation). It certainly wouldn't be allowed in any contract or Law.
Old 04-10-2019, 16:32   #934
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
<SNIP>

]Relevant word in bold/underlined...

As I said - chosing your "promises" from DC selectively...[COLOR="Silver"]

<SNIP>
No I didn't. I said in different words that if the voters heard Cameron say that one of the choices was "leave altogether" then you can't claim that "nobody voted for no deal". The English language, in this case, is quite plain.

The then PM did not say we must leave altogether - he was merely offering the choice. What you've opined has nothing to with my point.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 04-10-2019, 16:43   #935
nomadking
cf.mega poster

nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
No I didn't. I said in different words that if the voters heard Cameron say that one of the choices was "leave altogether" then you can't claim that "nobody voted for no deal". The English language, in this case, is quite plain.

The then PM did not say we must leave altogether - he was merely offering the choice. What you've opined has nothing to with my point.

How many more times? Deal still means leave, or is meant to.
Any 2nd referendum could only ask "Leave with a delay" or "Leave without any delay". That is what "deal or no deal" entails.
Old 04-10-2019, 16:53   #936
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
The "deal"/WA is an OPTIONAL(on the UKs part, the EU is obliged to seek one) step, on the path to Leave. Even a vote FOR the WA is a vote for Leave. The WA just means LEAVING later. NOTHING ELSE. It does NOT(or isn't meant to) mean Remain. Either way, Deal and no deal both lead to LEAVING.
Your posts are starting to read like Daily Express articles The use of block capitals is unnecessary ..

To be honest, I do not really understand your reply ... too many words in uppercase
Old 04-10-2019, 17:10   #937
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:

From a barrister...
Is it the same legal source that created a letter to the EU not to accept an agreement offered by the government on behalf or the LibDems?
Old 04-10-2019, 17:13   #938
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
Your posts are starting to read like Daily Express articles The use of block capitals is unnecessary ..

To be honest, I do not really understand your reply ... too many words in uppercase
You don't understand words such as "leaving"? There's a surprise.
Old 04-10-2019, 17:26   #939
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post

At least he’s gave up on giving me hysterical and irrelevant replies.
Old 04-10-2019, 17:28   #940
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Oh, Twitter. Well that’s alright then.

I wonder exactly what it is the secret barrister is getting so angry about, seeing as the “Downing Street source” has pointedly not said exactly what is being done, other than to confirm they will send the letter as required, but they believe they have a way round the Surrender Act and have been privately briefing EU governments about it.
Or they're making as much as noise as possible to provoke the opposition into doing the VoNC thing and getting them to do it, along with the electoral benefits that'll give em.

Or just as much noise so that when he does extend he can say he did all he could.
Old 04-10-2019, 17:37   #941
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:

From a barrister...
"I have been instructed to send this request to you on behalf of our lily livered members of parliament who have decided they want me to beg for an extention."

I don't want one and it is me and my team you have to deal with.
Old 04-10-2019, 18:27   #942
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
"I have been instructed to send this request to you on behalf of our lily livered members of parliament who have decided they want me to beg for an extention."

I don't want one and it is me and my team you have to deal with.
You appear to have mis-remembered it...

Quote:
Dear Mr President,

The UK Parliament has passed the European Union (Withdrawal) (No. 2) Act 2019. Its provisions now require Her Majesty’s Government to seek an extension of the period provided under Article 50(3) of the Treaty on European Union, including as applied by Article 106a of the Euratom Treaty, currently due to expire at 11.00pm GMT on 31 October 2019, until 11.00pm GMT on 31 January 2020.

I am writing therefore to inform the European Council that the United Kingdom is seeking a further extension to the period provided under Article 50(3) of the Treaty on European Union, including as applied by Article 106a of the Euratom Treaty. The United Kingdom proposes that this period should end at 11.00pm GMT on 31 January 2020. If the parties are able to ratify before this date, the Government proposes that the period should be terminated early.

Yours sincerely,

Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland”
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 04-10-2019, 19:07   #943
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
You appear to have mis-remembered it...
Only has to be “ in the form” of that example, not a replica of it.
Old 04-10-2019, 19:36   #944
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Only has to be “ in the form” of that example, not a replica of it.
Once again, your expert legal advice is much appreciated - you and nomadking should get together and provide BJ/Cummings with legal support, to avoid further fiascos like Prorogation being declared null and void.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 04-10-2019, 19:54   #945
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Once again, your expert legal advice is much appreciated - you and nomadking should get together and provide BJ/Cummings with legal support, to avoid further fiascos like Prorogation being declared null and void.
Woooo, hoooo. ( lifts up imaginary skirt)

I’ll take no direction from a person that gets their legal advice from twitter thank you.