Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Old 19-06-2019, 15:59   #1051
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
So first you say Sky ain't putting enough money towards content and when they double their resources towards more content you still grumble.

It seems you are still reading the same old book with the same old chapter in it...
I merely said that it was not sufficient.

---------- Post added at 14:59 ---------- Previous post was at 14:53 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Ah the straw man again. Why would Disney keep its content on Sky? I didn’t say that it would. My point, as ever, is that Comcast are well placed to adapt.

Sky has access to Comcast content, what’s to make you think if Sky in the UK are “doubling” investment the same isn’t replicated elsewhere?

I like that Sky have to demonstrate quality and quantity but streamers do not, they obviously automatically do by virtue of their distribution method.
You've only got to compare the content to see that what I have said is true.

What's this constant 'straw man' refrain? I'm glad that you have finally acknowledged that Sky may well have to give up some of its content to the streamers. This could affect whole channels. But doubling the Sky programme budget, while welcome, is unlikely to make up the deficiency.

If Comcast were to do the same, then yes, that would make a big difference. But they have not said that they would, so there's an assumption you have made.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-06-2019, 16:06   #1052
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I don’t know how you conclude the fact May has come and gone as irrelevant, it suggests (if a deal isn’t concluded) that there’s the possibility of something snagging. Like a valuation of key content, like Sky Atlantic for example.
I really don't think Sky deal with Virgin Media is up this summer. I really think Sky did sign an new deal two years when Sky Sports launch two new sports (Sky Sports Football and Sky Sports Action) channels.

I think the deal may be up in 2020 to 2022.

I will carry on thinking this way until I see any new Sky Channels testing on Digital Bit Rate.

DBR says Virgin Media has got four streams free right now due to MPEG4 (And we think it will be up to six as early as next week,)
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info

Last edited by Media Boy UK; 19-06-2019 at 16:22.
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 16:30   #1053
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
I really don't think Sky deal with Virgin Media is up this summer. I really think Sky did sign an new deal two years when Sky Sports launch two new sports (Sky Sports Football and Sky Sports Action) channels.

I will carry on thinking this way until I see any new Sky Channels testing on Digital Bit Rate.

DBR says Virgin Media has got four streams free right now due to MPEG4 (And we think it will be up to six as early as next week,)
There you go OB you might believe others now...
Old 19-06-2019, 16:45   #1054
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:

Though I think that is logical thinking, I think what is happening, or rather not happening, regarding the Sky Cinema channels may indicate something on the horizon, even if it's not for Sky Basics.

What am I on about? Well, it's rather odd that all the Sky Cinema SD channels are all on the same multiplex/frequency and haven't been part of the MPEG4 switching, yet the Sky Sports SD channels, with one exception (and I'm not counting Red Button), are all switched over to MPEG4 and scattered all over the multiplexes. The one Sky Sports SD exception is of course Sky Sports Racing, and it was moved onto the same multiplex/frequency as the SD Cinema channels a month or two ago.

To me this is likely to mean one thing, Sky Cinema is going HD Only on VM and so is Sky Sports Racing, so Virgin Media don't see any point in switching their SD channels to MPEG4 if they are going to be switched off soon.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 17:36   #1055
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Am I still right in thinking you still need to pay extra for Sky Sports HD Channels?
Old 19-06-2019, 17:38   #1056
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Am I still right in thinking you still need to pay extra for Sky Sports HD Channels?
yes MB
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 17:39   #1057
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Though I think that is logical thinking, I think what is happening, or rather not happening, regarding the Sky Cinema channels may indicate something on the horizon, even if it's not for Sky Basics.

What am I on about? Well, it's rather odd that all the Sky Cinema SD channels are all on the same multiplex/frequency and haven't been part of the MPEG4 switching, yet the Sky Sports SD channels, with one exception (and I'm not counting Red Button), are all switched over to MPEG4 and scattered all over the multiplexes. The one Sky Sports SD exception is of course Sky Sports Racing, and it was moved onto the same multiplex/frequency as the SD Cinema channels a month or two ago.

To me this is likely to mean one thing, Sky Cinema is going HD Only on VM and so is Sky Sports Racing, so Virgin Media don't see any point in switching their SD channels to MPEG4 if they are going to be switched off soon.
We think Virgin Media will move the rest of the channels to MPEG within the next THREE weeks.

With the next update happen on Monday.

---------- Post added at 16:39 ---------- Previous post was at 16:38 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
yes MB
I was really asking about Astra UK.
Old 19-06-2019, 17:57   #1058
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I merely said that it was not sufficient.

---------- Post added at 14:59 ---------- Previous post was at 14:53 ----------

You've only got to compare the content to see that what I have said is true.

What's this constant 'straw man' refrain? I'm glad that you have finally acknowledged that Sky may well have to give up some of its content to the streamers. This could affect whole channels. But doubling the Sky programme budget, while welcome, is unlikely to make up the deficiency.

If Comcast were to do the same, then yes, that would make a big difference. But they have not said that they would, so there's an assumption you have made.
The constant straw man refrain if you continue to argue a point that I didn’t actually make because it’s easier to argue against than the one I did.

I have to laugh at you criticising me for making assumptions - your entire argument is subjective up to and including the quality of content on streaming services.

---------- Post added at 16:57 ---------- Previous post was at 16:56 ----------

Quote:
Not on Sky, they raised the price and removed the add on.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 18:05   #1059
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I'm glad that you have finally acknowledged that Sky may well have to give up some of its content to the streamers. This could affect whole channels. But doubling the Sky programme budget, while welcome, is unlikely to make up the deficiency.

It may have to give up third party content not its own , what is it with you and the streamers it sounds like some cult hippy movement.

Don't forget Sky is a streamer also.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 18:56   #1060
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
The constant straw man refrain if you continue to argue a point that I didn’t actually make because it’s easier to argue against than the one I did.

I have to laugh at you criticising me for making assumptions - your entire argument is subjective up to and including the quality of content on streaming services.[COLOR="Silver"]
My reference to the Disney issue was in answer to your point, to demonstrate that what I am saying is true.

It's a pity that you couldn't make that connection.

My arguments are based on what I have seen reported and what anyone could naturally conclude from that, but it is a matter for discussion. Your constant protestations that everything that is posted is wrong never seems to be backed up with links to assist people to believe that you may have a point.

---------- Post added at 17:56 ---------- Previous post was at 17:55 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
It may have to give up third party content not its own , what is it with you and the streamers it sounds like some cult hippy movement.

Don't forget Sky is a streamer also.
Well, isn't that what I have been saying all along?
Old 19-06-2019, 19:17   #1061
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

No hence the part of the quote in bold

The point we made was should that happen it will just invest the money saved which would be a tidy sum into its own content.

Don't forget the removal of third party content will impact all the streamers also.

Disney's ownership of Hulu could see vast amounts of third party content removed in the future as will the likes of Netflix and Amazon.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 19:21   #1062
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
My reference to the Disney issue was in answer to your point, to demonstrate that what I am saying is true.

It's a pity that you couldn't make that connection.

My arguments are based on what I have seen reported and what anyone could naturally conclude from that, but it is a matter for discussion. Your constant protestations that everything that is posted is wrong never seems to be backed up with links to assist people to believe that you may have a point.

---------- Post added at 17:56 ---------- Previous post was at 17:55 ----------

Well, isn't that what I have been saying all along?
I don’t need to back up my analysis with opinion pieces from digital marketing companies. I don’t agree “anyone” could naturally reach the same conclusions at all. In fact, I think most unbiased observers would agree with me that Sky/Comcast as an incumbent in many markets will be well placed to adapt to the future whatever it holds.
Old 19-06-2019, 19:55   #1063
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
No hence the part of the quote in bold

The point we made was should that happen it will just invest the money saved which would be a tidy sum into its own content.

Don't forget the removal of third party content will impact all the streamers also.

Disney's ownership of Hulu could see vast amounts of third party content removed in the future as will the likes of Netflix and Amazon.
But I agree with the bit in bold! I am not arguing against that.

Nor am I arguing against your point that Sky would have to invest in its own programming faced with the loss of third party content.

I myself have pointed out that Netflix will lose its Disney content.

So we agree on all points, then. So why are we arguing?:

---------- Post added at 18:55 ---------- Previous post was at 18:51 ----------

Quote:
I don’t need to back up my analysis with opinion pieces from digital marketing companies. I don’t agree “anyone” could naturally reach the same conclusions at all. In fact, I think most unbiased observers would agree with me that Sky/Comcast as an incumbent in many markets will be well placed to adapt to the future whatever it holds.
Good luck with that, then.
Old 19-06-2019, 20:16   #1064
jfman
Architect of Ideas

I fail to see what benefit "luck" would be to me. I've got economics on my side and you have speculation on yours.
Old 19-06-2019, 20:28   #1065
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
I fail to see what benefit "luck" would be to me. I've got economics on my side and you have speculation on yours.
The economics of my arguments are perfectly sound, jfman.