Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Ultimate Oomph Answer Sought

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Ultimate Oomph Answer Sought

Old 02-07-2020, 08:00   #1
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold
Ultimate Oomph Answer Sought

I recently spoke with Customer Services about upgrading to the Ultimate Oomph bundle to be told that it was not available in my area of London (21). However, when I visited the Virgin Media web site and entered my postcode it said It was available. I then clicked on the 'Upgrade' button and got the error message, 'Oops, something went wrong' and that I could not upgrade online.

Does anyone know where can I get a definitive answer whether it is available or not?
heavyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-07-2020, 10:26   #2
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads
Re: Ultimate Oomph Answer Sought

Best I can tell you is it WAS available in Area 21 (Greenwich) last year as I've got it myself. Presumably, come next month when my discount ends I will have to make my annual call to Retentions to ensure it doesn't leap from £99/m to £139/m.
During lockdown the unlimited SIM with Ultimate Oomph has been a lifesaver as the "500mb" broadband has been up and down more times than Norwich City FC
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 11:53   #3
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

CS should be giving you the definitive answer, but I suggest giving them one more try just in case.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 13:32   #4
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
CS should be giving you the definitive answer, but I suggest giving them one more try just in case.
This is hopeless. I did as you suggested but my patience exhausts itself after 20 minutes on hold to Customer Services. I tried the text link on offer but that directs me back to the Virgin Media web site where I eventually get the 'Oops, something went wrong' error message all over again when I try to upgrade. Frustrating.
Old 02-07-2020, 14:58   #5
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

It should be available everywhere shouldn't it? The only part that might not be available is the 500Mb as part of the package which they just roll it down to the next speed down I believe. Use the postcode checker to see what speed is available to you.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 15:48   #6
heavyside
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
It should be available everywhere shouldn't it? The only part that might not be available is the 500Mb as part of the package which they just roll it down to the next speed down I believe. Use the postcode checker to see what speed is available to you.
This is exactly what I did, Mythica. According to the postcode checker on the web site, I can get 500Mb along with everything else but when I try and upgrade via the web site I get the dreaded 'Oops, something went wrong' error message (I've tried three different browsers with the same result). Earlier in this thread Nialli, who is also in area 21, succeeded in getting the bundle so it is clearly available.

I can't upgrade online and I can't get anyone to answer from Customer Services - at least not within the span of human patience. I feel like I am stuck in some kind of infinite loop.
Old 02-07-2020, 15:58   #7
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyside View Post
Earlier in this thread Nialli, who is also in area 21, succeeded in getting the bundle so it is clearly available.
The London area 21 network is a bit of a mish-mash. Just because it's available to Nialli doesn't mean it is everywhere.
Old 02-07-2020, 16:10   #8
heavyside
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
The London area 21 network is a bit of a mish-mash. Just because it's available to Nialli doesn't mean it is everywhere.
Understood, Spiderplant, but according to the postcode checker on the web site, it is available. In fact, I already have everything in the bundle - except for the 500Mb broadband speed - but I am paying about £35 pm more for it if you include the mobile sim which is currently billed separately. Hence my eagerness to change to the Ultimate Oomp bundle.
Old 02-07-2020, 17:20   #9
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
This is exactly what I did, Mythica. According to the postcode checker on the web site, I can get 500Mb along with everything else but when I try and upgrade via the web site I get the dreaded 'Oops, something went wrong' error message (I've tried three different browsers with the same result). Earlier in this thread Nialli, who is also in area 21, succeeded in getting the bundle so it is clearly available.

I can't upgrade online and I can't get anyone to answer from Customer Services - at least not within the span of human patience. I feel like I am stuck in some kind of infinite loop.
The upgrade online feature rarely works in my experience and I believe doesnt work if you've just upgraded part of your services but I could be wrong about that.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 18:06   #10
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
The upgrade online feature rarely works in my experience and I believe doesnt work if you've just upgraded part of your services but I could be wrong about that.
Some retention deals cause this too.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 08:08   #11
heavyside
cf.geek

It shouldn't be this difficult to do something as simple as upgrading a bundle even in such stressful times as these.
Old 03-07-2020, 08:45   #12
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Understood, Spiderplant, but according to the postcode checker on the web site, it is available. In fact, I already have everything in the bundle - except for the 500Mb broadband speed - but I am paying about £35 pm more for it if you include the mobile sim which is currently billed separately. Hence my eagerness to change to the Ultimate Oomp bundle.
I wouldn’t pin too many hopes on getting 500mb downloads in Area 21. As Spiderplant says, the area’s a mess. I live on one of the streets that doesn’t have over-populated street cabinets and my average is around the 150mb mark. I’ve never seen 500mb even when connected by Ethernet. The Virgin Mobile 4g coverage around here is good though (60mb plus) and more reliable of late than the broadband, so the unlimited SIM has proven invaluable in lockdown
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 10:25   #13
heavyside
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by nialli View Post
I wouldn’t pin too many hopes on getting 500mb downloads in Area 21. As Spiderplant says, the area’s a mess. I live on one of the streets that doesn’t have over-populated street cabinets and my average is around the 150mb mark. I’ve never seen 500mb even when connected by Ethernet. The Virgin Mobile 4g coverage around here is good though (60mb plus) and more reliable of late than the broadband, so the unlimited SIM has proven invaluable in lockdown
My service is the other way round. I regularly get 380Mb plus download speeds from my 350Mb broadband. My 4G is lousy though when I am at home due to the nearest mast being faulty for the last few months. I wish Virgin Media would fix the web site so I could get an answer.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:28   #14
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by nialli View Post
Why are you paying for 500mb if your average is only 150?

And my understanding is area 21 is all over the country, not just one place, I think I am area 21 and I live near Cambridge.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:49   #15
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
And my understanding is area 21 is all over the country, not just one place, I think I am area 21 and I live near Cambridge.
Area 21 covers a fair bit of London (roughly a diagonal slice from Harrow to Greenwich), and all of Southampton. Cambridge is in area 31 (along with about a dozen other places in England).

It would be a lot less confusing if they didn't call them "areas".