Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Setting up a VPN?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Setting up a VPN?

Old 05-09-2011, 18:53   #1
nick_f
Inactive

nick_f is an unknown quantity at this point
Setting up a VPN?

Hi all due to work in saudi next week, staying ina hotel with wired ethernet (3MB)
Ive heard that if i set up a VPN to home network ill be able to watch iplayer etc?
Is this true and any idea how to do it?

Cheers Nick
nick_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-09-2011, 20:04   #2
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
Re: Setting up a VPN?

as long as you register an IP using a proper mask that the filter can't censor you'll be good.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 00:03   #3
nick_f
Inactive

nick_f is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for reply buddy but that was a bit over my head?
nick_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 00:55   #4
Acathla
cf.mega poster

Acathla has reached the bronze age
Acathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze ageAcathla has reached the bronze age

If you are using Windows 7 you can set it up to accept a vpn connection.

http://louisgale.blogspot.com/2010/0...pn-server.html

Remember you will need to do the port forward on your router and will probably want to setup a host name for your IP address - try dyndns.org

---------- Post added at 00:55 ---------- Previous post was at 00:54 ----------

In fact, seems you can do it on Vista too.
Acathla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:58   #5
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

And XP. And 2000.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2012, 11:33   #6
mmace
Inactive

Services: TV XL, BB XXL
mmace is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm trying this
set up VPN connection on Windows 7 PC with username & password (using this: http://www.howtonetworking.com/VPN/win7vpn1.htm)
set port forward (port 1723 - unsure if this is right)
it times out when I try to connect (I have no-IP set up so I use a name rather than an IP address to connect to home PC, VNC works fine)
what else do I need to do?
mmace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 19:41   #7
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Port 1723 is wrong.
Old 20-01-2012, 19:45   #8
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

www.logmein.com is pretty good
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 20:03   #9
mmace
Inactive

Services: TV XL, BB XXL
mmace is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Port 1723 is wrong.
Any clue as to whats right?

---------- Post added at 20:03 ---------- Previous post was at 20:02 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCambs View Post
www.logmein.com is pretty good
Cheers but i use vnc to control my pc. Cant see anywhere about it working for vpn
mmace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 22:39   #10
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmace View Post
Any clue as to whats right?
I have a vague clue where to look but not enough to figure out right now.
Old 23-02-2012, 16:38   #11
pjcoop
Inactive

Services: NTL Home
pjcoop is an unknown quantity at this point

Use www.strongvpn.com There's a fee but it's very fast and reliable.
pjcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:35   #12
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

I'm trying to set up an incoming VPN also, using the standard Windows 7 method. The good thing is I can connect to my PC. The incoming client is detected and identified by by my PC, an android phone in this case.

What I can't then do from my phone is surf to my desk top. Is there a particular syntax I should use? eg http://router IP/name of PC or something including the port I have assigned. I have tried lots of combinations but am told the page is not available.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 13:15   #13
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Do you actually have a webserver running on your desktop? If so what port is it on?
Old 05-01-2014, 14:33   #14
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Do you actually have a webserver running on your desktop? If so what port is it on?
No just a standard set up. I run the Plex server some of the time. Does that count? The port I have forwarded is 1723. I know that is said to be wrong, but all the literature suggests that port.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 17:50   #15
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

I don't know if Plex media server has a built-in web server. You can't surf to a PC if you don't have a web server running on it.

If Plex does have a webserver then you need to go to http://IP.of.PC:1723/ in a web browser.

If you just want to see files on the computer you need to use an app that supports SMB shares, share something on the PC, then configure the app as required. There is no standard format for that.