Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Best wireless router for 3 story house...?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Best wireless router for 3 story house...?

Old 07-03-2007, 23:16   #1
slicendice
Inactive

slicendice is an unknown quantity at this point
Best wireless router for 3 story house...?

Hi
I've just signed up for Virgin broadband and now need to invest in some wireless equipment in order to use it once it's installed.

The cable modem will be in the downstairs front room of the house with one PC in a room directly above this (i.e. 1st floor at the front of house) and another PC on the 2nd floor at the back of the house (I also have a Sony laptop but that has wireless built in so should be OK). What I'm wondering is, which wireless router will give the best performance for this kind of scenario?

I've read a number of posts on here about the Linksys WRT54GS which all seem to imply that it is a good router....will it be OK over this kind of distance indoors?

As part of my reading up on this I've come across MIMO routers (802.11n I think...?) which apparently give better performance indoors. But I'm not sure if it would really be necessary for this kind of set up or whether just a normal 802.11g (such as the Linksys above) would do the trick?

Thanks very much
slicendice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-03-2007, 23:21   #2
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy
Re: Best wireless router for 3 story house...?

i have a WRT54GS and had problems with a PCI wireless card (also linksys) in a PC on the same floor! mind you in a straight line the signal would have gone through a metal door and two walls.

However you can put different firmware on that allows you to increase the power output by the router.
Wicked_and_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 23:45   #3
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

You could also have a look at homeplug. It will cost more (you still need the router), but I hear it works well.

Some info here
Old 07-03-2007, 23:59   #4
spankysmagicpian
cf.geek

Services: Ultimate Oomph although there is nothing ultimate or oomph about it.
spankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these parts

I am in the same predicitment. Due to the praise on here I bought the WRT54GS which is on the ground floor (I thought sighting it in the cellar would be too much for it) but I am happy to say the Wii picks the signal up fine and that's on the top (2nd) floor. Its the Speedbooster model although the Wii doesn't support that.
spankysmagicpian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 00:50   #5
LenMackin
Inactive

Services: 152mb Broadband only
LenMackin will become famous soon enoughLenMackin will become famous soon enoughLenMackin will become famous soon enough
Thumbs down Re: Best wireless router for 3 story house...?

I have a wrg45g in my attic room and i can get a strong signal in the kitchen two floors below. I can also get the signal in the garden and my daughter surfs the net from the living room. I live in a big old Edwardian terrace so its high and with thick walls. Never tried the cellar though!
LenMackin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 01:06   #6
Toilet-Duck
cf.addict

Services: VirginMedia 20MB
Toilet-Duck will become famous soon enoughToilet-Duck will become famous soon enoughToilet-Duck will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: Best wireless router for 3 story house...?

Definatly the Belkin PREN router, Im using this router with NTL and the signal streches right down my street! Before it's connection becomes LOW even then it still doesnt lose its connection!

PRE-N router is what Im using with a standered 54g in my laptop and a 54g pci card in my pc.
Toilet-Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:42   #7
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age

I've got the WRT54G router. It's on the first floor.
I can happily get a good signal at the end of the garden, and also in the neighbour's house across the road. I could probably get further, but you look a bit silly walking down the road with a laptop...
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 08:50   #8
awibble
Inactive

Services: FreeView FreeSat SKY+ (6 Mix) BT Phone (comming soon) V+ XL - TV XL - PHONE XL - BB SKY-MOV
awibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant futureawibble has a brilliant future

i wouldnt look at anything other than netgear and linksys.

Linksys is part of cisco, whos hardware is known worldwide for its performace.
Netgear also have a proven track record.
Belkin are a well known brand, but there CS is no use when you run into a problem.

If you find you need more distance once you have it installed, then grab a bigger antenna.

Remeber to install it as close the the center of the house as possiable to give you the best coverage (if you want to use it in the garden, then as close the the center of your property) im including height on that.
awibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 08:53   #9
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

Services: Initiations, rep rigging and orgies!
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star

Dont go the wireless route, it wont give you what you want - instead look at Homeplugs to distribute your broadband connection round your house (very easily).

I live in a 1 bed flat and had wireless issues, i tried Linksys and Netgear routers before i went down the homeplug route - trust me your wasting your money.

If you MUST though - go for netgear and avoid Linksys like the plague unless its the WRT54GS and you dont mind modding firmware.
TheBlueRaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:07   #10
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueRaja View Post
Dont go the wireless route, it wont give you what you want - instead look at Homeplugs to distribute your broadband connection round your house (very easily).

I live in a 1 bed flat and had wireless issues, i tried Linksys and Netgear routers before i went down the homeplug route - trust me your wasting your money.

If you MUST though - go for netgear and avoid Linksys like the plague unless its the WRT54GS and you dont mind modding firmware.
I and a lot other people use Wireless completely free from problems?
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:09   #11
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

Services: Initiations, rep rigging and orgies!
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star

IF you have thin walls you may get away with it - but Homeplug for me is in a league of its own especially when you deliver wireless directly to the room you want it in with the Wireless homeplug adapter.
TheBlueRaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:17   #12
TheNorm
Inactive

Services: Sky TV, VM TV, 20meg bb, tel, and a lobster (but the lobster died).
TheNorm has a nice shiny star
TheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueRaja View Post
IF you have thin walls you may get away with it - but Homeplug for me is in a league of its own especially when you deliver wireless directly to the room you want it in with the Wireless homeplug adapter.
I'll second that - I have both Homeplug and wireless (and even a few cables). Good point about the wireless homeplug device - you can move it to whichever room you are currently working in (cellar, loft, powder room...)
TheNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:52   #13
slicendice
Inactive

Thanks for the input everyone, much appreciated

The Homeplug thing definately sounds interesting, but with regards to the wireless Homeplug adapters, what sort of range do they have? I have a laptop that has wireless built in so I'm going to need some kind of wireless interface for that, but isn't it going to sort of defeat the object of wireless if I have to carry a plug round with me and plug it in to whichever room I happen to be in when using the laptop?

Also, how is security enforced in Homeplug? I'm sure they've thought of and sorted all this but how do the devices stop your network signals propagating all down the powerlines and out onto the national grid (i.e. where someone else could pick them up)? Some kind of multiplexing?
Old 08-03-2007, 10:00   #14
TheNorm
Inactive

Services: Sky TV, VM TV, 20meg bb, tel, and a lobster (but the lobster died).
TheNorm has a nice shiny star
TheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny star

Lots of questions! A few answers can be found here: http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline.htm
TheNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:37   #15
slicendice
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorm View Post
Lots of questions! A few answers can be found here: http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline.htm
Interesting site....thanks for that!

However, one thing I read there is that performance is seriously degraded if Homeplug devices are plugged into extension blocks rather than directly into the wall. The house I live in is old and doesn't have a lot of dedicated wall sockets, meaning I use extension blocks for just about everything (for example in my bedroom I have 4 dedicated sockets to power TV, video, DVD, lamp x 2, PC x 2, monitor x 2, speakers, printer, hi-fi, heater/fan, charging socket for iPod, phone, etc, etc). So I'm pretty much reliant on extension blocks, and to use a single wall socket for a single device would mean hanging even more devices on the remaining sockets which I'm not sure I'd be too keen on...