Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | PM Boris forms a government

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

PM Boris forms a government
Closed Thread

Old 24-08-2019, 16:26   #1336
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: PM Boris forms a government

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
Students if I recall correctly . . before they got lazy or qualified for handouts

As for land work, it used to be gangs of women (and kids) earning a few quid picking fruit/veg . . . no idea why that all collapsed, probably the Government not being able to tax it efficiently
What handouts do students now qualify for that has made them 'lazy'?

---------- Post added at 16:26 ---------- Previous post was at 16:23 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
You answered your own question. Benefits.
Who are you referring to that you think stopped working due to the existence of the welfare state, women, children or students?
Advertisement
Old 24-08-2019, 16:39   #1337
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
I'm not.wrong though am I? Deal or amended deal, we'll be worse off. That's why you, like a sensible Gent, voted to remain.
But you cannot assume that we will be worse off when all the forecasters have done is calculate the downside. No-one knows how entrpreneurs and governments will react to our new freedoms, and history tells us that if you remove the shackles, businesses respond positively.

As far as the EU is concerned, I can assure you that they don't want a no-deal as this would hurt their economies. The Telegraph has reported that a study for the Belgian government a few weeks ago calculated that 139,000 jobs would be lost in Italy, 141,000 in France, 291,000 in Germany. The French finance ministry has added a price tag: an €11 billion hit for Italy, €14 billion for France and €30  billion for Germany.

It is wrong to suggest that the UK will be more severely affected. The EU export more to us than we do to them. Think on.

---------- Post added at 16:39 ---------- Previous post was at 16:31 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post

Who are you referring to that you think stopped working due to the existence of the welfare state, women, children or students?
Our benefits system for able bodied workers is far too generous. In previous times, if you didn't work, you'd starve. You've only got to watch the documentaries on TV to see how people who are perfectly capable of working are abusing the system.

I am not talking about people with disabilities, Richard. I think we should be making life easier for them. But there are far too many benefit fraudsters about who find it easier to commit fraud than working for a living for my liking.
Old 24-08-2019, 17:04   #1338
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post

Correct. The only things students qualify for now is huge debt. Unlike their "hard working" X-generation and Baby Boomer predecessors.
Old 24-08-2019, 17:26   #1339
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeb View Post

Correct. The only things students qualify for now is huge debt. Unlike their "hard working" X-generation and Baby Boomer predecessors.
I couldn’t go to uni because my parents couldn’t afford it.

Why do you think the current generation are so badly off? If they want to go, they go, and they don’t pay anything back if they stay on a salary deemed to have not been increased due to having a university education.

There are far more people going to uni these days than there were in my time.

All of this bleating about how bad it is for young people now is pathetic. A uni education is not even important any more for most careers. I have done pretty well for myself without one.
Old 24-08-2019, 19:41   #1340
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:

Why do you think the current generation are so badly off? If they want to go, they go, and they don’t pay anything back if they stay on a salary deemed to have not been increased due to having a university education.

All of this bleating about how bad it is for young people now is pathetic. A uni education is not even important any more for most careers. I have done pretty well for myself without one.

If you parents were so hard up you'd have got a decent grant if you were offered a place of course. Not the case now.
You seem to think the current generation are lazy and entitled, all the ones I know are neither of these things. And it is harder for the current generation in many ways. Getting a house, getting a decent career is far more difficult due to the huge increase in university attendance. Saddled with debt if they do get a degree.
And quit the "bleating" comments just because it doesn't conform with your views.
Old 24-08-2019, 22:06   #1341
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:

Are you implying they choose to stay on a salary below the threshold because of the "marginal rate of tax" of 9%?
Old 24-08-2019, 22:09   #1342
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Are you implying they choose to stay on a salary below the threshold because of the "marginal rate of tax" of 9%?
Why would you ask that? Where could this lead whether or not answered by OB?

My advice is at your risk.
Old 24-08-2019, 22:16   #1343
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Why would you ask that? Where could this lead whether or not answered by OB?
Seph, while we've had fun on the Brexit threads (and I mean that sincerely) you can't really filter other people's posts from scrutiny. He made a statement. I, and anyone else, can scrutinise it.

It reads like he geninely believes people who have student loans elect to earn below the threshold because of a marginal rate of tax of 9% on those earnings. I've asked him to clarify if he believes that.
Old 25-08-2019, 00:05   #1344
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Seph, while we've had fun on the Brexit threads (and I mean that sincerely) you can't really filter other people's posts from scrutiny. He made a statement. I, and anyone else, can scrutinise it.

It reads like he geninely believes people who have student loans elect to earn below the threshold because of a marginal rate of tax of 9% on those earnings. I've asked him to clarify if he believes that.
Honestly, jfman, the way you think continues to amaze me.

Of course, once again, you are way off beam. What I am saying is that the government have set a minimum salary at which university fees are paid back. That minimum salary relates to the benefit deemed to have been assumed by that university education.

Individual motivations to attend university and find employment afterwards I am sure will vary.

That is all. Why do you think you have the right to scrutinise everything said on these forums? We are just having a conversation, for heaven's sake. This isn't an online version of the House of Commons!

Just cool.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 25-08-2019 at 00:09.
Old 25-08-2019, 03:16   #1345
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Why do you think you have the right to scrutinise everything said on these forums? We are just having a conversation, for heaven's sake. This isn't an online version of the House of Commons!

Just cool.
Surely everyone has the right to read what's written here and comment if they wish. That's what makes it a forum.
Old 25-08-2019, 05:49   #1346
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Surely everyone has the right to read what's written here and comment if they wish. That's what makes it a forum.
Exactly and if they don't like another members views then there is that simple ignore option.
Old 25-08-2019, 08:39   #1347
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Yes I suggest if you don't like to read certain opinions that annoy you try using the ignore function of this site. In the meantime please return to the actual topic.
Old 25-08-2019, 12:10   #1348
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

To be fair I think the thread title (topic) is rather vague and open to many interpretations.

How about someone starts a new 'topic' thread like . . Are the youth of today worse off than 40 years ago - and why?

I'd expect it to get quite lively
Old 25-08-2019, 13:22   #1349
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Honestly, jfman, the way you think continues to amaze me.

Of course, once again, you are way off beam. What I am saying is that the government have set a minimum salary at which university fees are paid back. That minimum salary relates to the benefit deemed to have been assumed by that university education.

Individual motivations to attend university and find employment afterwards I am sure will vary.

That is all. Why do you think you have the right to scrutinise everything said on these forums? We are just having a conversation, for heaven's sake. This isn't an online version of the House of Commons!

Just cool.
I’m sure they do, but I’m quite sure nobody chooses to earn £22 000 for the sole purpose of avoiding paying back their student loans at a marginal rate of 9% of earnings above that threshold.

If the economic environment means a lot of graduates are earning below this level then that’s the general economy that’s the problem not any individual who went to uni.
Old 25-08-2019, 13:41   #1350
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
I’m sure they do, but I’m quite sure nobody chooses to earn £22 000 for the sole purpose of avoiding paying back their student loans at a marginal rate of 9% of earnings above that threshold.

If the economic environment means a lot of graduates are earning below this level then that’s the general economy that’s the problem not any individual who went to uni.
Not sure if there is any logic/reason for anyone to earn below £22k (actually, £19k or £25k, depending on which Plan you are on, but let’s keep using £22k as a baseline) to avoid paying 9% of their salary over £22k (as you don’t pay anything on the first £22k even if you earn above the threshold).

If they earned £25k, after paying (approx) 20% tax, 11% NI, and 9% student loan repayment, they would still be £1800 pa, or £150 per month, better off.

The proposition does not stand up...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Closed Thread