Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Old 19-06-2019, 19:38   #1066
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Not on Sky, they raised the price and removed the add on.
Thanks I did think so - I hope Virgin Media UK do the same when the time comes to sign an new deal.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-06-2019, 19:42   #1067
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
The economics of my arguments are perfectly sound, jfman.
I'd be grateful if you could share the detail then.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 22:55   #1068
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

I'm not sure if I've understood all the arguments being made over the last few pages, but here's my stance again on things:

If and it is a if, the other media cos like Disney withhold their content from Sky in the future to use on their own streaming services, then it obviously will impact Sky's linear tv service.

Comcast has an immense amount of content under its Universal and NBC arms, but there is no way Sky can run a dozen plus film channels with just Universal content, something has to give somewhere. Which is why I think over time Sky's linear service will morph into a pure streaming service or a hybrid linear/streaming service.

Lets see if Sky actually launches their full IPTV service in the UK now. A few years ago when Sky first mentioned it, it sounded a good idea, now it would be madness. Better to concentrate efforts on streaming and let someone else handle all the god channels, shopping channels etc. Also, lets see if Sky want/are allowed to aggregate the other streamers on their service.

The elephant in the room is whether the media cos can make enough dosh by removing their own content from existing pay tv services/linear channels in favour of keeping the stuff on their own streamers and essentially ripping up a lifetime of doing things. It's a major risk for them, which is why they're all late to the streaming game and to take on Netflix.

They may all succeed, or they may not, but on these sort of things I just get back to basics. If people want Star Wars, they'll go to whatever place has it. The same for all other "key" content. As Netflix has shown with Friends and why Netflix has paid Warner huge amounts of dosh to keep Friends on Netflix for another year is that not all content is the same. Some is more equal than others (excuse the Animal Farm quote there) like Friends, Star Wars, Star Trek, Game of Thrones being in that category.

---------- Post added at 22:55 ---------- Previous post was at 22:43 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I don’t know how you conclude the fact May has come and gone as irrelevant, it suggests (if a deal isn’t concluded) that there’s the possibility of something snagging. Like a valuation of key content, like Sky Atlantic for example.
I think the "key" bit is the snag here regarding valuations and carriage negotiations.

Is Sky Atlantic key now that Game of Thrones has ended and Warner will likely keep the new Game of Thrones show exclusively on their streaming service when it launches?

Last edited by Horizon; 19-06-2019 at 23:23.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 23:22   #1069
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

The deal Sky made was for all HBO content (that wasn't on other channels at the time the deal was made) up to a certain date. Warner wouldn't be able to withhold a particular show, Sky would get the new GoT spin-off if it launches within the period covered by the agreement. Whether that would cover the life of that show or just the years within the larger agreement I have no idea.

I have a vague recollection it was a 6 year deal when the HBO deal was made, it was certainly a long deal.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 23:33   #1070
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
The deal Sky made was for all HBO content (that wasn't on other channels at the time the deal was made) up to a certain date. Warner wouldn't be able to withhold a particular show, Sky would get the new GoT spin-off if it launches within the period covered by the agreement. Whether that would cover the life of that show or just the years within the larger agreement I have no idea.

I have a vague recollection it was a 6 year deal when the HBO deal was made, it was certainly a long deal.
Sky will have exclusive first-run rights to broadcast shows such as Game of Thrones and True Detective to 21 million Sky subscribers across Europe until 2020.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...-within-europe
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Media Boy UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 23:45   #1071
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post

Do you recall when the deal was made?

---------- Post added at 23:45 ---------- Previous post was at 23:43 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
Sky will have exclusive first-run rights to broadcast shows such as Game of Thrones and True Detective to 21 million Sky subscribers across Europe until 2020.

Oops...

Should've read this post before making mine! Thanks MB.

So, it's unlikely the new GoT show will be covered by the existing deal.
Old 20-06-2019, 12:32   #1072
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

I have noticed that a show I would like to see is coming in the next few weeks but beyond the current epg is there a way I can flag it?
Old 20-06-2019, 13:11   #1073
1701-e
EU citizen proud of it!

Services: TV 360 Maxit TV, Gig1 bb & a landline.....
1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
I have noticed that a show I would like to see is coming in the next few weeks but beyond the current epg is there a way I can flag it?
Wishlist is the only way until it actually appears.
Old 21-06-2019, 21:20   #1074
fox35
cf.addict

Services: V6 x2, Bigger Bundle, Maxit TV & M350, Talk Wkends
fox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the rough

Although not referred to directly in these 2 very interesting articles, but with the imminent arrival of Amazon Prime Video on the V6 and the Cloud UI Update for the Hub 3, do you think VM might use this opportunity to upgrade the Tivo UI to the new Horizon 4 UI at the same time?
https://www.t3.com/news/virgin-tv-v6...-only-dream-of
https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...d-routers.html
fox35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2019, 21:56   #1075
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
If you know the date, time and channel you can set a future manual recording. It will be listed as something like 'to be announced" until the EPG is populated.

You can then either leave it like that, or cancel it and set it to record from the EPG eg if you jeed to set a Series Link.

---------- Post added at 21:56 ---------- Previous post was at 21:36 ----------

MTV OMG becomes MTV Pride from Monday 1st to Sunday 7th July.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2019, 10:26   #1076
Ddonald2016
cf.geek

Ddonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enough

Hi I wonder if some light can be shed. My mum has sky tv, and was going to ditch sky premium channels and was told maybe not to as bt sport is coming to sky sports group of channels for free, then he realised my mum was under contract. He knows she doesn’t want to stay beyond 9th March with sky premium but tried to trick me with a speed boost and resigning a new contract of 18 months

Has anybody heard of bt sports coming to sky sports for free
Ddonald2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2019, 11:24   #1077
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post

And on top of that, there is the more recent HBO Sky co-production joint venture that has given us Chernobyl.
https://variety.com/2017/tv/global/s...igh-end-drama-
1202391006/
https://www.skygroup.sky/corporate/m...ama-powerhouse

Of course, both Sky and HBO have been taken over since the deal was signed but the deal is still very much in place with The Third Day set to start filming soon.

---------- Post added at 11:24 ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddonald2016 View Post
Hi I wonder if some light can be shed. My mum has sky tv, and was going to ditch sky premium channels and was told maybe not to as bt sport is coming to sky sports group of channels for free, then he realised my mum was under contract. He knows she doesn’t want to stay beyond 9th March with sky premium but tried to trick me with a speed boost and resigning a new contract of 18 months

Has anybody heard of bt sports coming to sky sports for free
The official press release about Sky wholesaling BT Sport just says "For Sky customers, they’ll be able to include BT Sport as part of their overall Sky subscription for the first time." The date mentioned is "early 2019" and we're halfway through the year with no confirmed launch date yet.

There have been rumours that Sky might package BT Sport with some of its other packages but there's been nothing definitive on this. I suspect Sky would have to raise the cost of any package that included BT Sport to cover the extra costs though.
https://www.skygroup.sky/corporate/m...of-tv-channels
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2019, 11:49   #1078
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Sky recently increased its TV prices across the entire user base.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2019, 14:05   #1079
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Sky recently increased its TV prices across the entire user base.
BT prices up too:
Quote:
Thousands of BT customers who watch its sports channels will be hit with price rises of up to £48 a year, starting at the end of next month. The telecoms giant has confirmed that customers with the Classic, Essential, Entertainment, Entertainment Plus and Sport Starter deals will pay an extra £1 a month, while there is an increase of £24 a year for those with the Entertainment Starter deal. Those on its Max plan will pay a further £4 a month. All changes come into play on 28 July.

Broadband customers who watch the service via the BT Sport app alone will pay £1 a month more, taking the cost to £11 a month, or £132 a year.
https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...ear-price-rise
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2019, 14:10   #1080
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

Those on the BT Max plan were told it will be an extra £4 per month from July - or if you take out a new 18 month contract they will freeze the current price for the duration - including any current discounts it would seem.
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote