Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UHD on Virgin Media

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

UHD on Virgin Media

Old 28-05-2018, 08:39   #391
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold
Re: UHD on Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Cinema View Post
I can see the BBC showing Wimbledon in UHD HLG, as they have been trialing UHD for years now and not had the chance yet to show it to the masses. All them blades of grass.

Clashes with the World Cup though.

Trooping The Colour might be in UHD too.
The planet earth trial in UHD HLG looked amazing. The clearest picture I'd seen with so much detail and vibrant colours.

I also heard good reviews about the other trials the BBC did for the rugby and football matches.

Hopefully they will be able to show some of the world cup in UHD too.
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-05-2018, 09:05   #392
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Not forgetting, of course, VM didn't get access to the planet earth series trial in UHD HLG
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 09:49   #393
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

Quote:
It couldn’t have been under load if it was broadcast and not streamed over the internet, like with BT Vision.
I was under the impression the Red button stuff needed an internet connection?

If not then I'm not sure why it wouldn't work during the match, but works perfectly now.

Also hoping for some world cup 4Kness, be nice to see some more UHD broadcasts in the future
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 12:18   #394
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin-D View Post
Not forgetting, of course, VM didn't get access to the planet earth series trial in UHD HLG
That's true. The 4k world up might have to be accessed via the tv app instead
Old 28-05-2018, 12:19   #395
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

I thought I saw somewhere in this forum that the World Cup will not be in UHD in UK - however, I hope you are right.

If not it would seem to be a huge opportunity missed
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 12:58   #396
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
I thought I saw somewhere in this forum that the World Cup will not be in UHD in UK - however, I hope you are right.

The BBC would be silly if they didn't. Even if they classed it as another trial.

But you're right, it's not guaranteed.
Old 28-05-2018, 14:26   #397
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj View Post
The BBC would be silly if they didn't.
If they aren't confident their servers can cope with the demand, they'd be silly if they did.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 14:59   #398
DVD Cinema
cf.addict

DVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about them

There’s not many sets that can access BBC HLG anyway.

Was Cup Final broadcast or streamed?

I suspect it is broadcast, as might be the tennis.

Sky broadcast theirs.

BT Vision is streamed, as they have no capacity on Freeview for 4K.
DVD Cinema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 15:46   #399
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
There’s not many sets that can access BBC HLG anyway.

Was Cup Final broadcast or streamed?

I suspect it is broadcast, as might be the tennis.

Sky broadcast theirs.

BT Vision is streamed, as they have no capacity on Freeview for 4K.
You don't need HDR to access HLG. If you have a UHD TV you should be able to get the full benefit of HLG.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 15:50   #400
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post

I posted this a fortnight ago.

Quote:
And I’ve just had a chat with an friend who works at the Beeb (in the technology space), and he said they are planning (but subject to change) to stream the 4K to Sky and iPlayer.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 16:43   #401
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
You don't need HDR to access HLG. If you have a UHD TV you should be able to get the full benefit of HLG.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range
You will get UHD but not the full benefits of HDR as basically your TV isn't compatible with HLG (HDR).
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 17:21   #402
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
You will get UHD but not the full benefits of HDR as basically your TV isn't compatible with HLG (HDR).
It is backward compatible with SDR TVs, so I would have thought that many viewers who cannot get HDR would be able to get HLG.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 17:39   #403
mot12
cf.addict

Services: V.I.P
mot12 will become famous soon enoughmot12 will become famous soon enoughmot12 will become famous soon enough

HLG is essentially HDR just under a different name, it uses different techniques etc that give similar/same results as HDR.

A TV obviously needs to be HLG compatible to enjoy the full affect.
mot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 17:43   #404
DVD Cinema
cf.addict

DVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about them

But the BBC only support a select few for UHD playback, in Beta as well. This would help to not overload their servers.

Anyway, i don’t think it is a server issue. The BBC have said that it is technically challenging for them to show live UHD on iPlayer.
DVD Cinema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2018, 17:45   #405
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

You need support in your TV for HLG. I can't see that being done for SDR UHD TVS, as I can't see a reason to do so.