Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky fibre optic coming

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Sky fibre optic coming

Old 01-02-2018, 13:58   #31
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Sky fibre optic coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
When we get any worthwhile 4K channels we will be able to tell how fast broadband we need
Don't you mean 'if' we get any 4K channels?

It would not surprise me if all the 4K on Virgin was provided by on demand/streaming.

---------- Post added at 12:58 ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Part of the reason I left Virgin Media was due to the ridiculous amount of time they can take to add a new channel to their platform. Sometimes it takes over a year to get a new Freeview channel on the EPG. Far too frustrating. The latest example is Freesports.
Well, as time goes on, Chad, I dare say that most broadcast channels will be closing down rather than starting up, and VM close down channels immediately!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-02-2018, 14:12   #32
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

So if Sky start streaming their TV service i guess they will be providing the equipment so is there any news what this will be and how much it'll cost yet?
Old 01-02-2018, 14:20   #33
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
So if Sky start streaming their TV service i guess they will be providing the equipment so is there any news what this will be and how much it'll cost yet?
I believe they will be providing a box for this purpose, but I haven't seen any details yet.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 22:38   #34
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if it was a variant of the Q box as the mini ones already stream everything from the main box. So a bit of a software change and the main box could easily be configured for everything to be streamed.
Old 01-02-2018, 22:49   #35
Onramp
Inactive

Onramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enough

If VM updated their V6 box's software + a few tweaks here and there, they could probably stream their TV service over a BT line...

That is... seeing as some people will be streaming Sky Q over their virgin cable.
Onramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 14:06   #36
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onramp View Post

That is... seeing as some people will be streaming Sky Q over their virgin cable.
I would assume Sky will insist on their own broadband being purchased too when this TV service over broadband is launched. We'll know more once they announce the finer details.

Good job too, don't want my VM broadband speed being effected by others streaming all day and night
Joedm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 14:16   #37
gunner45
cf.member

Services: TV Maxit TV with V6 box + phone, M500, VM Hub 3.0
gunner45 is on a distinguished roadgunner45 is on a distinguished road

Sky doesn't have its own network, so cannot guarantee the necessary broadband speed like Virgin Media can. For Sky to tie its dishless service to its broadband will result in lower sales.
gunner45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 14:21   #38
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Could Virgin share their broadband with Sky? Would that be determined by spare capacity, if they have any of course, it could also open up talks for negotiating any channels/UHD that Sky could offer Virgin, interesting times ahead I think.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 14:32   #39
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner45 View Post
Sky doesn't have its own network, so cannot guarantee the necessary broadband speed like Virgin Media can. For Sky to tie its dishless service to its broadband will result in lower sales.
Sky uses Openreach lines to your home but all the equipment and core network you connect to is Sky's. BT guarantee it's TV service using multicast across it's own network and Sky could just as easily do the same in fact I'd be amazed if this product was opened to up to people on different ISP's at least early on as Sky wouldn't be able to guarantee service levels.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 16:24   #40
gunner45
cf.member

Are you saying that Sky has its LLU equipment in all its customers' exchanges? I find this to be unlikely.
Old 02-02-2018, 18:53   #41
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner45 View Post
Are you saying that Sky has its LLU equipment in all its customers' exchanges? I find this to be unlikely.
Sky has its kit in 2794 exchanges if you want the exact figure there is only Talk Talk with more exchanges covered.
Old 02-02-2018, 19:21   #42
gunner45
cf.member

The problem for operators such as Sky is that their broadband is based on inferior technology compared with the cable of Virgin Media. Sky may have very good LLU coverage but is reliant on Openreach. I probably cannot get more than 40mbps from Sky due to factors such as the distance between my house and the cabinet in which the DSLAM is installed and how Openreach configured the VDSL2 in the cabinet. In contrast, I get more than the promised 200mbps from Virgin Media's VIVID 200, and I have confidence that Virgin Media can deliver its service as it controls the optical nodes and line cards in the hub sites where contention can occur.
Old 02-02-2018, 19:27   #43
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

I don’t doubt you do get good speeds but there are still areas on Virgin what suffer heavily with peak time contention. Virgin is unbeatable in many areas but certainly not all.

People are jumping to conclusions with Sky Q over Broadband , for instance where has it said UHD will be available , where has it said the same amount of simultaneous recordings will be available.

Last edited by muppetman11; 02-02-2018 at 19:33.
Old 02-02-2018, 21:07   #44
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Could Virgin share their broadband with Sky?
They already do
http://telecoms.com/144681/virgin-me...y-in-49m-deal/
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 21:25   #45
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
I thought I'd seen something mentioned about this before, thanks sp,the thing is, would they let Sky use Virgin's existing BB service to facilitate their new dish free offering, which would obviously result in Virgin losing customers, but at a cost to Sky?
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote