Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Free V6 box

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Free V6 box

Old 26-01-2018, 17:01   #61
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age
Re: Free V6 box

Not sure if my Tivo is 500GB or 1TB (59h HD, 257 SD). Wouldn't mind a faster 1TB box, but I'd miss the SCART and the lights that have me checking what suggestion it's decided to record.
And got some things to watch, or SCART to my DVD/HDD recorder.

I think I'd have to get a splitter + converter, and wish for good luck with the evil HDCP
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-01-2018, 17:24   #62
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

You've got a 500GB box I believe - the 1TB box used to say it's 120 hours for HD. Not sure what it'll say once the MPEG4 changes are complete.
Old 26-01-2018, 17:28   #63
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
You've got a 500GB box I believe - the 1TB box used to say it's 120 hours for HD. Not sure what it'll say once the MPEG4 changes are complete.
240 would be good!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 18:31   #64
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

So how come when these V6 first came out you had to have an installer visit, with the associated payment, yet you can now install yourself.

Has something changed on the backend or was it just a money grab because it was new tech?
johnathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 20:10   #65
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post
So how come when these V6 first came out you had to have an installer visit, with the associated payment, yet you can now install yourself.

Has something changed on the backend or was it just a money grab because it was new tech?
Many reasons, but it certainly wasn't a money grab. Sending a technician is expensive, and VM would really rather avoid it if possible.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 20:35   #66
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelScofield View Post
The free V6 offer isn't open to customers who already have one V6 box, as I think I have read this elsewhere.
Another V6 box would be able to connect to your current Superhub over Wi-Fi or Ethernet.
Ah many thanks for this.

Damn shame the old tivo boxes are slow as heck. i feel guilty sitting in my boxroom with superfast loading netflix whilst the people downstairs suffer even getting to the tv guide...oh well ho ho
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 02:17   #67
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathome View Post

The the manned installation was free up until self instal became available.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 03:24   #68
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Is this free box upgrade available to those on the minimum M/Player packs?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 04:23   #69
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads

Yes. I am on M TV, though I do have 100 broadband. I ordered the V6 online and it went through straight away. Will not be delivered for a week and a half.
oliver1948uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 07:10   #70
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Thanks, I'll let my relative know
Old 28-01-2018, 02:17   #71
Skie
a giant headend

Skie has reached the bronze age
Skie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze ageSkie has reached the bronze age

Paid £20 to get ours last week. Oh well!

If you want to keep your Tivo recordings, heres how:
  1. Unplug your tivo from the coax, but leave it powered on
  2. Call the activation line
  3. Connect the v6 up
  4. Simples

It should last a couple of weeks before the old Tivo box dies. You can't access the old recordings via the V6 over a network, as VM remove the Tivo box from your account and the V6 will only connect to other devices on your network that are part of your account (bit stingy there VM, but oh well). You have to just use another HDMI connection for the old Tivo whilst you watch recordings.

The self-install box has a leaflet in saying you dont need to return the old box you are replacing, so theoretically you can keep it running like this until it decides it's giving up trying to connect and commits harri-kari.
Skie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2018, 07:09   #72
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

What a good idea
Old 28-01-2018, 20:13   #73
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

How quiet is the V6 ? Currently got a none recording VHD in the bedroom, which is quite as a mouse and totally powers down at night via the remote.

Wouldn't want lights and any sort of noise going off and on all night (there's no way i'd have a Tivo in the bedroom). Just wondered before I make enquiries to VM.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2018, 20:29   #74
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
How quiet is the V6 ? Currently got a none recording VHD in the bedroom, which is quite as a mouse and totally powers down at night via the remote.

Wouldn't want lights and any sort of noise going off and on all night (there's no way i'd have a Tivo in the bedroom). Just wondered before I make enquiries to VM.
The V6 is very quiet and one of them is in our bedroom. Never hear a peep from it.

Unfortunately, it does have a light, but you can simply turn the box to face another way if it bothers you.

Thoroughly recommend the V6 - far, far better than the Tivo.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2018, 20:39   #75
The Yank
Inactive

Services: VIP(300BB) 2xV6 Boxes
The Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really niceThe Yank is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
The V6 is very quiet and one of them is in our bedroom. Never hear a peep from it.

Unfortunately, it does have a light, but you can simply turn the box to face another way if it bothers you.

Thoroughly recommend the V6 - far, far better than the Tivo.
it has another benefit too. The remote doesn't near infra red which means it will work even if installed in a cupboard. That means that white light cannot even be seen.
The Yank is offline   Reply With Quote