Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ITV threaten to blackout on Virgin

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ITV threaten to blackout on Virgin

Old 21-02-2018, 21:16   #181
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Re: ITV threaten to blackout on Virgin

ITV boss Dame Carolyn McCall seeks peace deal in fees war with Virgin Media

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...es-war-virgin/
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-02-2018, 21:33   #182
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
ITV boss Dame Carolyn McCall seeks peace deal in fees war with Virgin Media

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/...es-war-virgin/
Sounds like she has a sensible head on those shoulders. Maybe we'll end up with a Britbox app on our system!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 21:43   #183
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Sounds like she has a sensible head on those shoulders. Maybe we'll end up with a Britbox app on our system!
Considering it's not available in the UK that would be a no.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 07:22   #184
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Considering it's not available in the UK that would be a no.
I know it's not, but I doubt there are copyright issues given that these are home produced programmes from BBC and ITV, so if they decided to offer this, they could.
Old 22-02-2018, 09:24   #185
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I know it's not, but I doubt there are copyright issues given that these are home produced programmes from BBC and ITV, so if they decided to offer this, they could.
It's designed as an overseas product hence the name.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 10:36   #186
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

More PSB channels joining in. Looks as if Channel 4 are having a scrap with Freesat over carriage deals now:

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...php?t=33706069
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 10:54   #187
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Well, those of us who remember the days of 5 or fewer channels being available will think that we have less choice these days despite having hundreds of channels to choose from.

The truth is, the choice of good programmes is better than in those days, but spread amongst all of those hundreds of channels in between tons and tons of dross. So they are much harder to find. So hard, in fact, that many don't even bother looking for them any more.

That is why the huge concentration of good quality stuff on Amazon and Netflix is proving so popular, and in time, this method of viewing will be the norm.
Don't know about that OB. Most of my series links are still for the BBC.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 11:17   #188
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
You have to remember that OB is not a fan of the BBC.
Old 22-02-2018, 16:47   #189
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
You have to remember that OB is not a fan of the BBC.
Not true. The original dramas on the BBC are going from strength to strength.

It's the licence fee I object to because it simply isn't fair to expect people to be required to pay for channels they do not watch.

---------- Post added at 16:47 ---------- Previous post was at 16:45 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
I take it that you don't look too far for programmes on many of the pay tv channels, then, Mr K!
Old 22-02-2018, 17:18   #190
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Not true. The original dramas on the BBC are going from strength to strength.

It's the licence fee I object to because it simply isn't fair to expect people to be required to pay for channels they do not watch.
Perhaps you should adopt the same attitude to your car tax , car insurance and all the other yearly fees you have to pay OB as that is life and one has to accept even if one does not agree with certain fees one still has to pay it even though it might be through gritted teeth.
Old 22-02-2018, 23:37   #191
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Perhaps you should adopt the same attitude to your car tax , car insurance and all the other yearly fees you have to pay OB as that is life and one has to accept even if one does not agree with certain fees one still has to pay it even though it might be through gritted teeth.

You forgot council tax in your list - probably the most expensive and least liked.

I cannot really think what I get for my £2k apart from a weekly bin collection, don't say road maintenance as the state of the surfaces around here are atrocious.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 07:20   #192
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
The examples are not the same, though, Den. If I don't own a car, then I certainly do not pay car tax , car insurance, etc. However, whether or not I watch or listen to the BBC, I still have to pay the licence fee.
Old 23-02-2018, 07:44   #193
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
The examples are not the same, though, Den. If I don't own a car, then I certainly do not pay car tax , car insurance, etc. However, whether or not I watch or listen to the BBC, I still have to pay the licence fee.
Its quite obvious if one does not own a car, then one certainly does not pay car tax , car insurance , etc , etc but OB being OB fails to see the clear point l have made.
Old 23-02-2018, 11:21   #194
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Its quite obvious if one does not own a car, then one certainly does not pay car tax , car insurance , etc , etc but OB being OB fails to see the clear point l have made.
What are you on about, Den? My point is that if you don't have a car, you don't pay car tax.

But I could have a TV to watch channels OTHER THAN the BBC and never listen to the radio, and yet I still have to pay for it.

Why is it right to your mind that I am forced to pay for something I don't want, need or that benefits me in any way?

I am not describing myself by the way. I do watch BBC TV and radio and I would gladly stump up for a subscription rather than a licence fee. However, I would never expect others who don't to have to pay. That's just weird, and so last century.

---------- Post added at 11:21 ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
You forgot council tax in your list - probably the most expensive and least liked.

I cannot really think what I get for my £2k apart from a weekly bin collection, don't say road maintenance as the state of the surfaces around here are atrocious.
However, the council does provide education, social care and many other services that you may not currently rely on, but you or your family may well need in the future. Education services you have already benefited from personally as you went to school, and even if you went to a private school, you still benefit from those around you being appropriately educated because they will go on to provide services to you and also contribute to having a thriving economy.

These arguments do not apply to the BBC in any way as its primary function is to provide entertainment for personal consumption. If you don't like what the BBC provides and don't watch or listen to its output, it really defies logic that you should be charged for it.

Oh, and by the way:

https://www.rapidtvnews.com/20180223...#axzz57vhGw49B

Last edited by OLD BOY; 23-02-2018 at 11:26.
Old 23-02-2018, 11:50   #195
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
What are you on about, Den? My point is that if you don't have a car, you don't pay car tax.

But I could have a TV to watch channels OTHER THAN the BBC and never listen to the radio, and yet I still have to pay for it.

Why is it right to your mind that I am forced to pay for something I don't want, need or that benefits me in any way?

I am not describing myself by the way. I do watch BBC TV and radio and I would gladly stump up for a subscription rather than a licence fee. However, I would never expect others who don't to have to pay. That's just weird, and so last century.

---------- Post added at 11:21 ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 ----------

However, the council does provide education, social care and many other services that you may not currently rely on, but you or your family may well need in the future. Education services you have already benefited from personally as you went to school, and even if you went to a private school, you still benefit from those around you being appropriately educated because they will go on to provide services to you and also contribute to having a thriving economy.

These arguments do not apply to the BBC in any way as its primary function is to provide entertainment for personal consumption. If you don't like what the BBC provides and don't watch or listen to its output, it really defies logic that you should be charged for it.

Oh, and by the way:

https://www.rapidtvnews.com/20180223...#axzz57vhGw49B
Just as I have no use for the services councils maintain at the present or in the future (yes I have used them many years ago) I am fairly confident that you or someone else in your family has watched the BBC in the past even if you do not now.

The license fee is for having the ability to receive tv transmission, wether or not you use it. Presumably as you are on this forum you have this facility and as such you have to pay - end of.

The money collected just happens to go to the BBC - is this fair, not in my opinion - it should be shared amongst all broadcasters - but that is how it is
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote