Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UHD on Virgin Media

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

UHD on Virgin Media

Old 10-06-2018, 17:46   #556
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Re: UHD on Virgin Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I get the planet Earth too on my V6 it is in 4K and the picture has HLG on it, so if you can see all that i think you're ok...... but it should be obvious if it is 4K?
Yes the pq looks very good indeed, I'd like to see the football one too though
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-06-2018, 17:52   #557
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I've just tried it on my Panasonic which is a 4K UHD TV, its also set to show HDR HLG, but all I'm getting is the planet earth demo, does that mean my V6 box hasn't been updated as yet?
Go to BBC 1 (101) on the mini guide do you get a message at the top of it to press the blue button for the HD channel?

If yes you have the update

If not you haven't got it yet
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 18:11   #558
Khenryashley
Freedom for smokers

Services: VM. 3 boxes ( 1 x TiVo 2 x V6) 350 mbps BB
Khenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Yes the pq looks very good indeed, I'd like to see the football one too though
In iPlayer settings switch to iPlayer beta.
Khenryashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 18:31   #559
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Thx guys appreciate the help.
Old 10-06-2018, 18:44   #560
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khenryashley View Post
In iPlayer settings switch to iPlayer beta.

I only see the planet one on the beta, which has left me confused, unless it is because my TV isn't listed as HLG, but then why do i see the planet HLG unless it is only in 4K, i have no way of knowing.
Old 10-06-2018, 18:45   #561
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Ok, I've defo got the update, did what Gavin said, also switched to the iplayer in beta setting as suggested by Khenryashley, which allowed me to see the football, but to be honest I didn't see a huge difference from when I normally watch the football in HD, also the feed was stuttering and re-starting, and didn't have and sound at the start, but within a few seconds the sound came through, not all that impressed if I'm being honest.
Old 10-06-2018, 20:03   #562
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
I get the planet Earth too on my V6 it is in 4K and the picture has HLG on it, so if you can see all that i think you're ok...... but it should be obvious if it is 4K?
Yes, as long as you have a big enough screen.

---------- Post added at 20:03 ---------- Previous post was at 19:54 ----------

Quote:
Ok, I've defo got the update, did what Gavin said, also switched to the iplayer in beta setting as suggested by Khenryashley, which allowed me to see the football, but to be honest I didn't see a huge difference from when I normally watch the football in HD, also the feed was stuttering and re-starting, and didn't have and sound at the start, but within a few seconds the sound came through, not all that impressed if I'm being honest.
Teething problems, I’d guess, Max. We had problems at first when we converted from analogue to digital, and again when we first got HD. All is fine these days, though.

As far as PQ is concerned, we do see a noticeable increase in quality with our 49” screen. Smaller screens may result in a less perceptible difference.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 20:12   #563
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

Planet Earth demo streams on all kit - even on non-4K tvs.

If you don't have HLG then you'll still see it in non-HDR. The whole point of HLG is the same stream will work for non-HDR users.

But I understand the football requires HLG to be active on the tv before you are offered it.

I don't think they want to block out true HLG users on their limited capacity by allowing non-HLG users to stream too.
Quote:
I only see the planet one on the beta, which has left me confused, unless it is because my TV isn't listed as HLG, but then why do i see the planet HLG unless it is only in 4K, i have no way of knowing.
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 23:24   #564
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Yes, as long as you have a big enough screen.

---------- Post added at 20:03 ---------- Previous post was at 19:54 ----------

Teething problems, I’d guess, Max. We had problems at first when we converted from analogue to digital, and again when we first got HD. All is fine these days, though.

As far as PQ is concerned, we do see a noticeable increase in quality with our 49” screen. Smaller screens may result in a less perceptible difference.
My screen is 50", OB...
Old 11-06-2018, 07:27   #565
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
My screen is 50", OB...
Indeed, Max, and you commented on the good quality of your picture.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:11   #566
oxfordmark
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media M+:TV,VM 30mb:BB 1tb and 500gb Tivo, HTC One X
oxfordmark is an unknown quantity at this point

So in order to get the BBC 4k World Cup, does by box need to have the latest 12.7 update?
oxfordmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:01   #567
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordmark View Post
So in order to get the BBC 4k World Cup, does by box need to have the latest 12.7 update?
Yes.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:31   #568
oxfordmark
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media M+:TV,VM 30mb:BB 1tb and 500gb Tivo, HTC One X
oxfordmark is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
Yes.
But i only have 12.5!

Apparently they are pushing the update out to 4k connected boxes. Hope they do this before the WC starts!
oxfordmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:27   #569
Khenryashley
Freedom for smokers

Services: VM. 3 boxes ( 1 x TiVo 2 x V6) 350 mbps BB
Khenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the roughKhenryashley is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Got to agree. The football was not as impressive as planet earth.
What we don’t know is what format they were filmed in.
Have both been filmed in 4K or upscaled from HD.
Khenryashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:43   #570
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khenryashley View Post
Got to agree. The football was not as impressive as planet earth.
What we don’t know is what format they were filmed in.
Have both been filmed in 4K or upscaled from HD.
If you are watching England games i can guarantee the football will be very unimpressive You'll be able to see every England tear in UHD though, so that will be good. Wonder if the rioting outside the stadiums will also be covered in UHD ?!
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote