Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UHD on Virgin Media

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

UHD on Virgin Media

Old 08-06-2018, 21:13   #541
oxfordmark
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media M+:TV,VM 30mb:BB 1tb and 500gb Tivo, HTC One X
oxfordmark is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: UHD on Virgin Media

Will I get this option even if my box hasn't got the .7 update?
oxfordmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-06-2018, 23:13   #542
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
Those without the correct kit are NOT seeing the LIVE stream test at all. They just see the Planet Earth demo. Hopefully that will apply to the main live football.

Your TiVo video output should be set to the two 2160p options only - with all other resolutions unticked.

Your tv will tell you if its HLG.
I see the planet earth UHD HLG demo so surely that is the right kit?
Old 08-06-2018, 23:28   #543
awesometeeth
cf.addict

Services: vip
awesometeeth will become famous soon enoughawesometeeth will become famous soon enoughawesometeeth will become famous soon enough

TV shows animals, v6 shows football.

Both are on the list
awesometeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 23:31   #544
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesometeeth View Post
TV shows animals, v6 shows football.

Both are on the list

Only looked once earlier this morning and I got the planet earth hlg on the V6, I suspect it alternates?
Old 09-06-2018, 00:02   #545
awesometeeth
cf.addict

awesometeeth will become famous soon enoughawesometeeth will become famous soon enoughawesometeeth will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Only looked once earlier this morning and I got the planet earth hlg on the V6, I suspect it alternates?
Yeah I've had both on the lg TV not sure it means anything
Old 09-06-2018, 05:13   #546
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

MY HD (not 4k) to connected to a V6 at 1080 shows the Animal Planet demo. The whole point on HLG is that the same stream will work whatever equipment is being used with the HLG part just being ignored by non-compatible kit.

The V6 will only offer the football option when my HLG tv is connected to it.

You have to switch the beta modes to switch the HLG offering on the iPlayer.

You also get a banner every 2-3 days when loading iPlayer announcing the World Cup HLG on compatible kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I see the planet earth UHD HLG demo so surely that is the right kit?
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 16:23   #547
DVD Cinema
cf.addict

DVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about them

Oo er, just got from hol and my V6 has updated and enabled iPlayer UHD HDR just in time for the World Cup!

Thanks.
DVD Cinema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 18:24   #548
mot12
cf.addict

Services: V.I.P
mot12 will become famous soon enoughmot12 will become famous soon enoughmot12 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Those without the correct kit are NOT seeing the LIVE stream test at all. They just see the Planet Earth demo. Hopefully that will apply to the main live football.

Your TiVo video output should be set to the two 2160p options only - with all other resolutions unticked.

Your tv will tell you if its HLG.
Indeed, having just the two 2160p options ticked is the only way my TV will recognise the HLG(HDR) and automatically switch to HDR mode when I play the HLG trial.

It's kinda annoying because I don't want the V6 scaling everything to 2160p, the picture on HD and SD looks a tad better when I have 1080i and the 2 passthrough settings ticked. Why can't these boxes just send every sodding thing through as is, surely it's not that difficult.
mot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 19:22   #549
DVD Cinema
cf.addict

DVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about them

With my new HDMI UHD HDR specced cable, HD looks surprisingly miles better scaled to UHD, compared to the older cable.
DVD Cinema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 22:16   #550
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

My v6 has now had the update. It picks up HDR HLG in just 2160p mode ok.
The demo that i have is the football one.
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:13   #551
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

Agreed - I find the TiVo menus look quite bad quality when upscaled by TiVo itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mot12 View Post
Indeed, having just the two 2160p options ticked is the only way my TV will recognise the HLG(HDR) and automatically switch to HDR mode when I play the HLG trial.

It's kinda annoying because I don't want the V6 scaling everything to 2160p, the picture on HD and SD looks a tad better when I have 1080i and the 2 passthrough settings ticked. Why can't these boxes just send every sodding thing through as is, surely it's not that difficult.
Old 10-06-2018, 14:41   #552
awesometeeth
cf.addict

Quote:
Agreed - I find the TiVo menus look quite bad quality when upscaled by TiVo itself.
really? I found that the v6 did a pretty good job of upscaling everything?

I suppose it varies massively between sets though and cables and other fun variables.

to the extent that I let the v6 just output everything in 2160p as it did a much better job at deinterlacing than the old samsung which would add in frame stutter
Old 10-06-2018, 15:27   #553
ozsat
cf.mega poster

but if you tv isn't as good at the upscaling compared to TiVo - then TiVo would look better

Samsungs really do like to stutter
Old 10-06-2018, 16:21   #554
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

I've just tried it on my Panasonic which is a 4K UHD TV, its also set to show HDR HLG, but all I'm getting is the planet earth demo, does that mean my V6 box hasn't been updated as yet?
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 17:42   #555
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I've just tried it on my Panasonic which is a 4K UHD TV, its also set to show HDR HLG, but all I'm getting is the planet earth demo, does that mean my V6 box hasn't been updated as yet?

I get the planet Earth too on my V6 it is in 4K and the picture has HLG on it, so if you can see all that i think you're ok...... but it should be obvious if it is 4K?