Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Will Scotland Leave the UK?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Will Scotland Leave the UK?
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2021, 14:58   #4021
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei
 
papa smurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: the last resort
Services: every thing
Posts: 12,359
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
What you’re proposing is removing British citizenship from people born with it, and who voted against separation. That would be an extraordinary state of affairs and would have international repercussions. This is not the same as removal of EU so-called “citizenship” post-Brexit, which is actually no more than a gloss on a web of international treaties. British is a nationality recognised everywhere.
Collateral damage, blame the snp or better still get rid of them.

---------- Post added at 14:58 ---------- Previous post was at 14:36 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
What about dual nationality? - the U.K. already allows that for Irish (and Canadian, amongst quite a lot of others) passport holders.
That doesn't sound much like separatism.
__________________
To be or not to be, woke is the question Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer. The slings and arrows of outrageous wokedome, Or to take arms against a sea of wokies. And by opposing end them.
papa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-04-2021, 15:02   #4022
Hugh
Hic Sunt Dracones
Cable Forum Team
 
Hugh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 64
Services: Premiere Collection
Posts: 36,639
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
Collateral damage, blame the snp or better still get rid of them.

---------- Post added at 14:58 ---------- Previous post was at 14:36 ----------



That doesn't sound much like separatism.
Like the Irish who separated?
__________________
There is always light.
If only we’re brave enough to see it.
If only we’re brave enough to be it
.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 15:08   #4023
jfman
Architect of Ideas
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,231
jfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appeal
jfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appeal
Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

This is why I genuinely welcome English engagement with the debate.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 15:14   #4024
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei
 
papa smurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: the last resort
Services: every thing
Posts: 12,359
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Like the Irish who separated?
Best we don't repeat the same mistakes made with the Irish, things get a little untidy over there.


I doubt krankie will allow scots to be known as British or even worse English, it'll be ok for scots living in the rest of the uk they could apply for settled status, as for those who live in Scotland but didn't want to break up the union they will have to get a travel visa to visit the other nations or try to get over the wall that we will have built.
__________________
To be or not to be, woke is the question Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer. The slings and arrows of outrageous wokedome, Or to take arms against a sea of wokies. And by opposing end them.
papa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 16:28   #4025
1andrew1
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 9,493
1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array
1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array
Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
What you’re proposing is removing British citizenship from people born with it, and who voted against separation. That would be an extraordinary state of affairs and would have international repercussions. This is not the same as removal of EU so-called “citizenship” post-Brexit, which is actually no more than a gloss on a web of international treaties. British is a nationality recognised everywhere.
On the other hand, would "British" still exist long-term without Scotland?
1andrew1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 16:39   #4026
Carth
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: At the Leaving door
Posts: 2,269
Carth has a bronzed appealCarth has a bronzed appeal
Carth has a bronzed appealCarth has a bronzed appealCarth has a bronzed appeal
Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

I could be wrong (failing memory, too much Brandy ) but I'm sure I remember not being allowed to write 'English' on many official forms, it had to be British.

Not best pleased as I recall
__________________
'The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it' ~ T. Pratchett
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 17:03   #4027
Hugh
Hic Sunt Dracones
Cable Forum Team
 
Hugh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 64
Services: Premiere Collection
Posts: 36,639
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

That would be because your nationality is British/U.K. - English isn’t a nationality, and hasn’t been for over 300 years...
__________________
There is always light.
If only we’re brave enough to see it.
If only we’re brave enough to be it
.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 17:19   #4028
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team
 
Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North of Watford
Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Posts: 33,861
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
On the other hand, would "British" still exist long-term without Scotland?
“British” existed before English, Scottish or Welsh. The Romans called this island Britannia, and by the time they retreated back to Italy the Britons occupied (what we now call) Wales, the far southwest and far north of England and southern Scotland.

Also, unless the SNP tries to declare a socialist republic, the monarch of Great Britain will still be enthroned and a cultural concept of Britishness will continue, and the government of the remaining UK would be entirely at liberty to continue to define British in whatever way it chose and to continue to grant the people of the island citizenship of Britain.

Whatever happens, the idea of anyone who currently holds British citizenship being stripped of it in the event of Scotland separating from the UK is fanciful.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 17:47   #4029
nomadking
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Northampton
Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
Posts: 6,858
nomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appeal
nomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appeal
Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
“British” existed before English, Scottish or Welsh. The Romans called this island Britannia, and by the time they retreated back to Italy the Britons occupied (what we now call) Wales, the far southwest and far north of England and southern Scotland.

Also, unless the SNP tries to declare a socialist republic, the monarch of Great Britain will still be enthroned and a cultural concept of Britishness will continue, and the government of the remaining UK would be entirely at liberty to continue to define British in whatever way it chose and to continue to grant the people of the island citizenship of Britain.

Whatever happens, the idea of anyone who currently holds British citizenship being stripped of it in the event of Scotland separating from the UK is fanciful.
In the same way people wouldn't be stripped of EU citizenship?
They would acquire Scottish citizenship instead. Similar to where any part of an existing country breaks away.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 18:13   #4030
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei
 
papa smurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: the last resort
Services: every thing
Posts: 12,359
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
That would be because your nationality is British/U.K. - English isn’t a nationality, and hasn’t been for over 300 years...
It's more like the bank of mum n dad funding everyone else
__________________
To be or not to be, woke is the question Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer. The slings and arrows of outrageous wokedome, Or to take arms against a sea of wokies. And by opposing end them.
papa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 18:30   #4031
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team
 
Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North of Watford
Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Posts: 33,861
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
In the same way people wouldn't be stripped of EU citizenship?
They would acquire Scottish citizenship instead. Similar to where any part of an existing country breaks away.
As I stated earlier, so-called "EU citizenship" is nothing of the sort. EU citizenship is a brand name for certain entitlements a citizen of France has when visiting Germany, or vice versa. If EU citizenship was essentially the same thing as true national citizenship, it would be possible to go to an EU consulate in your home country and apply for it. But you can't, because there's no such process. You can only get it as a side-effect of holding actual citizenship of a country that is a member of the EU.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 18:41   #4032
nomadking
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Northampton
Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
Posts: 6,858
nomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appeal
nomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appealnomadking has a bronzed appeal
Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
As I stated earlier, so-called "EU citizenship" is nothing of the sort. EU citizenship is a brand name for certain entitlements a citizen of France has when visiting Germany, or vice versa. If EU citizenship was essentially the same thing as true national citizenship, it would be possible to go to an EU consulate in your home country and apply for it. But you can't, because there's no such process. You can only get it as a side-effect of holding actual citizenship of a country that is a member of the EU.
You still don't get the the benefits of EU citizenship, so why should Scots still get any benefit from UK citizenship?

How many examples are there, where part of country splits off, that citizens of the new country, automatically keep citizenship and rights of the old?
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 18:48   #4033
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team
 
Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North of Watford
Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Posts: 33,861
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
You still don't get the the benefits of EU citizenship, so why should Scots still get any benefit from UK citizenship?

How many examples are there, where part of country splits off, that citizens of the new country, automatically keep citizenship and rights of the old?
Ireland would appear to be the obvious case study here.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 18:54   #4034
Sephiroth
Simples
 
Sephiroth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: RG41
Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U. BT Infinity2; Tivo; V6; XL Phone; Devolo 1200AV
Posts: 8,628
Sephiroth is cast in bronzeSephiroth is cast in bronzeSephiroth is cast in bronzeSephiroth is cast in bronze
Sephiroth is cast in bronzeSephiroth is cast in bronzeSephiroth is cast in bronzeSephiroth is cast in bronzeSephiroth is cast in bronzeSephiroth is cast in bronzeSephiroth is cast in bronzeSephiroth is cast in bronzeSephiroth is cast in bronzeSephiroth is cast in bronzeSephiroth is cast in bronzeSephiroth is cast in bronzeSephiroth is cast in bronzeSephiroth is cast in bronzeSephiroth is cast in bronzeSephiroth is cast in bronzeSephiroth is cast in bronze
Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
What you’re proposing is removing British citizenship from people born with it, and who voted against separation. That would be an extraordinary state of affairs and would have international repercussions. This is not the same as removal of EU so-called “citizenship” post-Brexit, which is actually no more than a gloss on a web of international treaties. British is a nationality recognised everywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth
I should add something to the list:

6/
Citizenship - Scots on the Scottish electoral roll (and descendants) on the day prior to SCEXIT will no longer hold British citizenship from 12 months after secession. The rules for granting British nationality to Scots will need to be tight. For example, time-limited period for requesting retention of British nationality; if born in England or Wales, then allowed; if born in Scotland but normally resident in England or Wales, then allowed.

From my perspective, we are in the strange position of not wanting to break the UK up, but if they're that stupid then we're forked on making it easy for them to split or difficult so as to deter them.

As we're (England & Wales) not going to cave in financially (are we?), then a split will indeed be bitter. The Nats will be trying to screw us for every penny, we'll be totally resistant which will lead to impasse and a decision point for the Nats; we don't have to do anything. Should be interesting.
Well, of course, I didn't post a fully worked idea as it's highly complex. When the Czechs and Slovaks split, people on either side had one year to choose their nationality. But that wasn't a problem in those days because dual-citizenship was not permitted in those countries at the time. The UK allows multiple-citizenship, so it'll require an ingenious scheme to get this right.


To come to the question of those Scots who will have voted "No" to independence: Chris makes a sound point. If Scotland allows dual-nationality (England will probably insist on this as part of the Withdrawal Agreement) that will sort itself out. Except that there will be anomalies. A Scot may have dual-citizenship. Can an English person, with no connection to Scotland also claim Scottish citizenship? This was done in Northern Ireland.

Separation will be so fraught but we can't let Scotland have our cake to eat. They might eventually join the EU and their desire to spit on England/Wales will only increase.

__________________
Seph.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 19:06   #4035
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!
 
pip08456's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Barry South Wales
Age: 65
Services: Now back with VM for BB & phone. 50Mb service.
Posts: 10,137
pip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Well, of course, I didn't post a fully worked idea as it's highly complex. When the Czechs and Slovaks split, people on either side had one year to choose their nationality. But that wasn't a problem in those days because dual-citizenship was not permitted in those countries at the time. The UK allows multiple-citizenship, so it'll require an ingenious scheme to get this right.


To come to the question of those Scots who will have voted "No" to independence: Chris makes a sound point. If Scotland allows dual-nationality (England will probably insist on this as part of the Withdrawal Agreement) that will sort itself out. Except that there will be anomalies. A Scot may have dual-citizenship. Can an English person, with no connection to Scotland also claim Scottish citizenship? This was done in Northern Ireland.

Separation will be so fraught but we can't let Scotland have our cake to eat. They might eventually join the EU and their desire to spit on England/Wales will only increase.

If left to the SNP that will be when they balance the books. AKA when hell freezes over.
pip08456 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
pip08456
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:34.


Server: curium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.