Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 14:23   #4696
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Well, they may show films via streaming services, if the streamer gets placed onto the platforms.

If you think about Amazon, after books and music, its origins were in DVD sales. With DVD sales on terminal decline and Amazon only dipping their toe into streaming, I'm not sure how Amazon fits into the streaming world yet. They're certainly not copying Netflix and spending several billion on content. They could, but for now, they're not.
Old 06-11-2018, 14:24   #4697
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Crickey OB no wonder Denphone pulls you up so much your views change more than that of a politician.
l always thought he was a politician in disguise.
Old 06-11-2018, 14:25   #4698
Horizon
Media Watcher

Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Crickey OB no wonder Denphone pulls you up so much your views change more than that of a politician.

The link above confirms Sky has just extended its deals with 2 other studios and Universal are owned by Comcast so I'd expect Sky Cinema to stay even if it loses Disney/Fox content in 2020.

The studios going alone eventually will see content removed from Netflix and Amazon.
But Disney/Fox content accounts for a third of all stuff on Sky's films channels. That's a massive loss. Lose another studio and then it will be up to almost a half of content lost.

Last edited by Horizon; 06-11-2018 at 14:54.
Old 06-11-2018, 14:26   #4699
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:

The link above confirms Sky has just extended its deals with 2 other studios and Universal are owned by Comcast so I'd expect Sky Cinema to stay even if it loses Disney/Fox content in 2020.
Strange how that is forgotten somehow.
Old 06-11-2018, 14:27   #4700
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Agreed but they'll obviously have to change how they sell it , wasn't Sky Movies originally included with Sky TV years back ?

Content lost money saved to invest elsewhere haven't they ready dabbled with original movies ?

I suppose another option is making the Movies be part of the Ultimate On Demand package it now sells.

Last edited by muppetman11; 06-11-2018 at 14:46.
Old 06-11-2018, 14:27   #4701
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
But Disney/Fox content accounts for a third of all stuff on Sky's films channels. That's a massive loss. Loss another studio and then it will be up to almost a half of content lost.
Not really as Sky's movie channels were pretty popular long before Sky did their deal with Disney for their film content.

Last edited by denphone; 06-11-2018 at 14:31.
Old 06-11-2018, 14:58   #4702
Horizon
Media Watcher

Ok, denphone, if you don't think a third of all content is a loss, I can't really add anything further than that. Remember its Disney and Fox stuff.

---------- Post added at 13:58 ---------- Previous post was at 13:56 ----------

Quote:
Agreed but they'll obviously have to change how they sell it , wasn't Sky Movies originally included with Sky TV years back ?

Content lost money saved to invest elsewhere haven't they ready dabbled with original movies ?

I suppose another option is making the Movies be part of the Ultimate On Demand package it now sells.
Without turning this into the linear channels thread, but its all interlinked, that AT&T deal with Sky is also up in 2020. If Sky lose that content too, that is almost certainly the end of Sky Atlantic as a viable channel.
Old 06-11-2018, 15:02   #4703
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

I have a hunch that if Disney and Fox remove their content and that's still a big if for me that you'll have to subscribe to two apps to watch Disney and Fox movies as Disney has stated their app won't have any R rated content.

I can see Disney having it's own app and the Fox movies being on an international version of Hulu.

Can't see Deadpool being on with Mary Poppins.

Last edited by muppetman11; 06-11-2018 at 15:06.
Old 06-11-2018, 15:24   #4704
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
I have a hunch that if Disney and Fox remove their content and that's still a big if for me that you'll have to subscribe to two apps to watch Disney and Fox movies as Disney has stated their app won't have any R rated content.

I can see Disney having it's own app and the Fox movies being on an international version of Hulu.

Can't see Deadpool being on with Mary Poppins.
Ifs , buts and maybes now where have l heard that before as l am still waiting for those old ifs , buts and maybes to transpire.
Old 06-11-2018, 16:02   #4705
Horizon
Media Watcher

Nothing is certain as yet and all these battles between the media cos will be played out all over the world with various broadcasters and pay-tv companies. Perhaps they will all get on, or perhaps not.

We don't know Disney's international plans yet, but in the States Disney has four streaming apps: Hulu, Disney, ABC and ESPN with their new super-douper streaming service coming next year bringing the total to five.

That's doesn't seem sustainable to me and I think it will be just one in the end.
Old 06-11-2018, 16:34   #4706
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:

The studios going alone eventually will see content removed from Netflix and Amazon.
If you look again, you will see that those deals were made within the existing contractual periods.

Anyway, as you know and as I keep explaining, there is the now, and there is the future.

Remember, it was only a few years ago that you and others were saying that as Netflix was competition for Virgin, it would never get added to our STBs as an app. But look where we are now.

---------- Post added at 15:29 ---------- Previous post was at 15:23 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
But Disney/Fox content accounts for a third of all stuff on Sky's films channels. That's a massive loss. Lose another studio and then it will be up to almost a half of content lost.
Quite. I'm not sure why muppetman finds so much to disagree with on this subject! Sky's new deal with the studios is just an attempt to temporary shore up a heavy content loss.

This is just the beginning.

---------- Post added at 15:34 ---------- Previous post was at 15:29 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Ifs , buts and maybes now where have l heard that before as l am still waiting for those old ifs , buts and maybes to transpire.
Netflix is on the V6. That's already transpired.

It's only 2018, Den. Nobody has said all these predictions are going to happen tomorrow.

However, even you and muppetman must at least be starting to see the trend.
Old 06-11-2018, 17:16   #4707
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Quite. I'm not sure why muppetman finds so much to disagree with on this subject! Sky's new deal with the studios is just an attempt to temporary shore up a heavy content loss.
Its a discussion forum and as such I post my views , let's be honest this is something none of us on here can fully predict.

The reasoning I give for Disney/Fox not removing all it's content from platforms over here is as follows.

The streaming service will launch by the end of 2019 if all goes to plan which you'd imagine will happen first in the United States. All the pay platforms still have Disney and Fox channels available on their platforms not only that many have their content available on their OTT services.

As an example of this Comcast Xfinity Stream has Disney Channel , FX , National Geographic
, ESPN and Fox Sports.

I'm not trying to completely discount the article I just don't buy into all Disney/Fox content being removed from pay platforms whilst the Movies clearly impact Sky every other UK platform take some form of Disney/Fox content.

It's a wait and see I guess but a question for you , if as you say all Disney/Fox content becomes only available directly through them why we not hearing more noise from the US about platforms battling to agree to keep rights to their channels.
Old 06-11-2018, 17:35   #4708
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Its a discussion forum and as such I post my views , let's be honest this is something none of us on here can fully predict.

The reasoning I give for Disney/Fox not removing all it's content from platforms over here is as follows.

The streaming service will launch by the end of 2019 if all goes to plan which you'd imagine will happen first in the United States. All the pay platforms still have Disney and Fox channels available on their platforms not only that many have their content available on their OTT services.

As an example of this Comcast Xfinity Stream has Disney Channel , FX , National Geographic
, ESPN and Fox Sports.

I'm not trying to completely discount the article I just don't buy into all Disney/Fox content being removed from pay platforms whilst the Movies clearly impact Sky every other UK platform take some form of Disney/Fox content.

It's a wait and see I guess but a question for you , if as you say all Disney/Fox content becomes only available directly through them why we not hearing more noise from the US about platforms battling to agree to keep rights to their channels.
It's an evolving situation, I guess. How quickly Disney content is loaded on to their new website, whether it will initially include TV series and whether content on their website will be exclusive to their website are all questions for Disney to address.
Old 06-11-2018, 18:06   #4709
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:

This is just the beginning..
Keep saying it and you might just believe in it yourself.

---------- Post added at 17:05 ---------- Previous post was at 17:03 ----------

Quote:
Netflix is on the V6. That's already transpired.

It's only 2018, Den. Nobody has said all these predictions are going to happen tomorrow.

Look at your long lists of previous posts and that is exactly what you have generally predicted.

---------- Post added at 17:06 ---------- Previous post was at 17:05 ----------

Quote:
Actually we do see a trend but its not that one OB.
Old 06-11-2018, 18:48   #4710
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Keep saying it and you might just believe it yourself
Well, you did read the link, did you not? Here's another to give you food for thought.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/finance/ne...100/ar-BBPlKdJ

---------- Post added at 17:47 ---------- Previous post was at 17:44 ----------

Quote:

Look at your long lists of previous posts and that is exactly what you have generally predicted.
I have never said these changes will be happening imminently, Den. For some reason, you morph all of my statements about the future in this way. Why?

---------- Post added at 17:48 ---------- Previous post was at 17:47 ----------

Quote:

Actually we do see a trend but its not that one OB.
Do enlighten us, Den! What trend do you see, and how?

Last edited by OLD BOY; 06-11-2018 at 18:58.
Closed Thread