Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 14-12-2018, 17:14   #4846
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
A lot of ppl may not be interested in shows that go back decades, original content would be my preferred choice.
I'm not sure of your point , Disney/Fox , Warner Media and Comcast/Sky make far more original content than Netflix.

Back catalogue is equally as important though for a successful service that people are willing to pay for.
Advertisement
Old 14-12-2018, 17:30   #4847
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I'm not sure of your point , Disney/Fox , Warner Media and Comcast/Sky make far more original content than Netflix.

Back catalogue is equally as important though for a successful service that people are willing to pay for.
Well, I guess it depends on how many people are attracted by that content. I does nothing for me. The Netflix Originals are the sole reason I subscribe to Netflix and I suspect a great many people have a similar view.
Old 14-12-2018, 17:35   #4848
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Well, I guess it depends on how many people are attracted by that content. I does nothing for me. The Netflix Originals are the sole reason I subscribe to Netflix and I suspect a great many people have a similar view.
Plenty are attracted by the older content though OB as well as watching the newer content.
Old 14-12-2018, 18:17   #4849
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Look at the popular on Netflix section and trending now there is plenty of third party content just as their is originals so clearly many like watching it.
Old 14-12-2018, 21:46   #4850
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Look at the popular on Netflix section and trending now there is plenty of third party content just as their is originals so clearly many like watching it.

But it all costs money - I pay more than enough for the tv I watch, without paying extra for things I might watch occasionally
Old 15-12-2018, 23:48   #4851
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

The fact that Netflix has just forked out $100m for the rights to show Friends for another year, illustrates the value that some older content does have.

In my opinion, the satellite/cable channels have greatly devalued older shows by their poor scheduling decisions. I expect the streamers in the future to behave more like terrestrial broadcasters and signpost certain older shows when similar new stuff becomes available.

We don't know the impact on Netflix yet on the loss of Disney/Fox content and whether the other Hollywood companies will also pull their stuff from the streamer.

Make the most of watching everything under one roof while it lasts, as in the near future we may need several streaming services to provide us with what we essentially get from Netflix today.

---------- Post added at 22:48 ---------- Previous post was at 22:00 ----------

Quote:
Funny people keep mentioning about Sky losing content even though it’s parent company are predicted along with Disney to dominate global content spending.
Link
It's mixing two different things here.

Sky, as you know full well, is currently a pay tv company as well as a broadband and mobile provider.

Having your parent company be America's largest cable company as well as owning one of the major Hollywood studios, is a major advantage for Sky, no doubt about that at all. But if other companies remove their content from Sky's pay tv platform, that will have a massive negative impact on Sky's current pay tv service.

Comcast will use the Sky brand and resources to launch streaming services into as many countries as it can and I believe this is Sky's future, as a global streamer competing against Netflix, Disney et all, rather than as a traditional pay tv platform.

Last edited by Horizon; 15-12-2018 at 23:51.
Old 16-12-2018, 12:04   #4852
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

If third party companies don't want to take Sky's money in the future that leaves Sky funds with which to increase its own original content.

I think the perfect purchase for Comcast would be Discovery this would allow it to strengthen in the documentaries genre and give even more varied content for its future aspirations.
Old 16-12-2018, 19:14   #4853
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

I agree that there will be further mergers within the media/tech sector, including perhaps the one you suggest.

But I but disagree with you about the impact, the loss of content on Sky's platform would have. I don't dismiss this as easily as you and even if its just one company (Disney/Fox) that pulls content from Sky, that is still 40% of all Hollywood films.

It is still cheaper to buy in someone else's content than making stuff yourself, especially with regards to drama.
Old 16-12-2018, 19:27   #4854
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
I agree that there will be further mergers within the media/tech sector, including perhaps the one you suggest.

But I but disagree with you about the impact, the loss of content on Sky's platform would have. I don't dismiss this as easily as you and even if its just one company (Disney/Fox) that pulls content from Sky, that is still 40% of all Hollywood films.

It is still cheaper to buy in someone else's content than making stuff yourself, especially with regards to drama.
I've already told you I don't buy into all this removal of third party content from platforms but I'll go along with you for now.

You are suggesting Disney/Fox , Warner Media , Comcast/Sky all go alone with streaming products direct to the consumer.

You then go on to discuss problems for Sky so what happens to Virgin and BT how do they survive ?

In TV the big global players will be the following in my opinion

Disney/Fox
Comcast
Warner Media
Amazon
Netflix
Old 17-12-2018, 10:52   #4855
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
I've already told you I don't buy into all this removal of third party content from platforms but I'll go along with you for now.

You are suggesting Disney/Fox , Warner Media , Comcast/Sky all go alone with streaming products direct to the consumer.

You then go on to discuss problems for Sky so what happens to Virgin and BT how do they survive ?

In TV the big global players will be the following in my opinion

Disney/Fox
Comcast
Warner Media
Amazon
Netflix
Apart from anything else, they will be offering bundles of SVOD services including those you mention, thus securing the desired content for BT and Virgin as well as for Sky.

I also think that over time, those programmes more than two or three years old will no longer be exclusive to those sites, enabling other streaming services to show them as part of their subscription offering. It won't happen immediately as these sites fill up with content and they try to establish themselves, but I think that will come eventually to maximise the monetisation of their content.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 17-12-2018 at 11:00.
Old 17-12-2018, 11:53   #4856
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Bundling SVOD services bet there's tons to be made on £5 - £10 subs.

Sounds like more wishful thinking to me.

Sky will have content of its own and it's parent company with which to monetise I'm not sure selling SVOD services will net you much.

Last edited by muppetman11; 17-12-2018 at 12:07.
Old 17-12-2018, 15:41   #4857
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Bundling SVOD services bet there's tons to be made on £5 - £10 subs.

Sounds like more wishful thinking to me.

Sky will have content of its own and it's parent company with which to monetise I'm not sure selling SVOD services will net you much.
Of course it will, just as bundling all those hundreds of channels works for Virgin Media now.

Adding a range of SVOD services to Virgin Media, BT, etc under wholesale deals will maximise the income for the streamers, provide reduced cost options for the punters and ensure that there is plenty of content available on existing platforms.
Old 17-12-2018, 16:20   #4858
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Amazon Prime £79 a year and includes many perks from Amazon how much of a cut of that do you expect them to give platforms ?
Old 17-12-2018, 17:44   #4859
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Amazon Prime £79 a year and includes many perks from Amazon how much of a cut of that do you expect them to give platforms ?
Well, what if, as an example, Virgin had a deal with Amazon whereby those with the existing subscriptions offers would be able to access Prime through their Virgin Media boxes and new subscribers through Virgin were offered a lower rate, but without the 'perks' and without the Amazon channels? Just one idea, but I think that with the range of streaming services Virgin could offer, together with the existing packages that are available for now, this could be made to work.

I do not share your distopian views of the future!
Old 17-12-2018, 18:29   #4860
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

More the land of make believe
Closed Thread